JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have two 10mm's, both 1911 designs. I don't hand load real hot and the recoil from my two 10mm automatics is pretty acceptable. Question, with the frame being lighter on the Glock 10mm, can I expect more recoil? Stands to reason yes, but sometimes makers are able to employ design features that cut perceived recoil. Tell me true, please.

We own and shoot a lot of 1911's. No 10mm's in that platform though. But we do have a model 20 (I want my own...) Husband loads for it. 200 grainers with Blue Dot are pretty snappy but 180's are great. I like the 10mm. I am used to the Glock. Not bad for an ol' woman! ;)

I love 1911s, I don't like strong recoil, and I don't particularly like Glocks, but shooting Sellier & Bellot 10mm ammo in my Glock 40 Gen 4 MOS is no problem. The weight of the longer barrel and slide probably makes it feel less snappy.

Screenshot_2019-08-12 GLOCK 40 Gen4 MOS.png

The Glock has a wider back strap area on the grip compared to a 1911. This helps spread the recoil across a larger area of your hand. It makes them easy to shoot with hotter loads.

Physics of more weight in the gun would dictate recoil would dampen, however, grip angle also would play into it, some grip angles are more apt to recoil management than others, personal hand size and ability to gain a good grip would be a factor as well.

I changed the recoil springs to heavier ones and bought longer barrels from KKM on both a Model 20 and 29, about 5/8ths of inch longer. They stick out the slide and give Much better chamber support.
Edit: That 29 with a 15 round mag was my packing meat out on a deer cart gun.Loved it sold it.

I have two 10mm's, both 1911 designs. I don't hand load real hot and the recoil from my two 10mm automatics is pretty acceptable. Question, with the frame being lighter on the Glock 10mm, can I expect more recoil? Stands to reason yes, but sometimes makers are able to employ design features that cut perceived recoil. Tell me true, please.
Have had a Glock 20 [10mm] for many years, never had a 1911 design in 10mm, but was in 45 auto, while the Glock seemed just a little harder than the 45, but not enough to bother. Remember the slide is still all steel, so soaks up some of the recoil, I suspect.

The question was more recoil in the Glock.

Yes.

I have a boat load of 10mm pistols, one was a G40 MOS. Even with an RMR on there the recoil was noticably more than my Camp Guard 10.

Enough that it sucked? No.

It has been my experience, that recoil is very subjective, as I get a lot older, it seems to have increased. As with my 44mag, if I just go with the recoil, rather than master it, still not a problem.

I am not a big guy and regularly shot 180 grain Underwood in my Glock 20. There is some kick, but I can mostly stay on target. I am more accurate with my Glock 20 than my 4" S&W N Frame.

Own a 20 and its my woods pistol, saying that with underwood ammo its still not much to talk about recoil wise. The Glock 20 is a great 10mm pistol, good size with very descent capacity.

Just bought my G20SF w/6 mags off the board this weekend. Came with 100 rounds of S&B.

Just ordered:
Lone Wolf 6.61 threaded barrel
22lbs recoil spring
1K of Starline Brass
150 of 140gn Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrator bullets (4 legged)
900 180gn Hornady XTP bullets (2 legged)

Bi-Mart for my large pistol primers and 1lbs of Accurate #7.

Will be loading my own woods rounds with the Penetrators. The XTP's will be for range time mainly, but double for security rounds. Plan on this being really a woods gun only when the Shotgun or 300BLK is not going.

For those reloading 10mm what powder do you use? I see #7 and blue dot listed, any others? If you use a Dillon press how do the powders meter from the powder measure. I've always wanted a Glock 20 but will need to reload for sure if I get one.

For those reloading 10mm what powder do you use? I see #7 and blue dot listed, any others? If you use a Dillon press how do the powders meter from the powder measure. I've always wanted a Glock 20 but will need to reload for sure if I get one.

I suggest moving this exact post over to the Reloading section to hit more guys rolling their own. As for the question: Me, no issue. on powders in my Dillon presses. Flake like blue dot can be not so smooth but overall its fine. I have loaded for over 30yrs lots of 40SW but this will be my first 10MM. Same same, process wise.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top