JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a UTG micro red dot and noticed that I get some crazy glare when the sun is infront of me. Its so bad that it shows up as another (brighter looking) dot than the actual dot. I noticed that today, while I aimed with this ..what I would call a ghost dot and wondered why I wasn't hitting a thing. I confirmed this at home aiming against a 3 bulb fan light that created 3 dots from the lights that look just like the projected dot.

Is there some trick to reduce glare on a red dot? Or am I'm doing something wrong?

I have a UTG micro red dot and noticed that I get some crazy glare when the sun is infront of me. Its so bad that it shows up as another (brighter looking) dot than the actual dot. I noticed that today, while I aimed with this ..what I would call a ghost dot and wondered why I wasn't hitting a thing. I confirmed this at home aiming against a 3 bulb fan light that created 3 dots from the lights that look just like the projected dot.

Is there some trick to reduce glare on a red dot? Or am I'm doing something wrong?

Yeah,

(I state this will all due respect) Ditch the (made for Airsoft) UTG and get a red-dot suitable for firearms...
Sure, UTG/Leapers offers a couple products that may work out OK for light-duty work, ie. rifle/range bags etc.....However, when it comes to optics, the mantra "buy once, cry once" comes into play.

That all stated, the Bugbuster(I put one an AKM), It's a cheap way to get some glass on a range-toy rifle <---- When reliability/repeatability isn't a necessity.

UTG red dots are crap. No offense. I think you'll find this isn't a problem with a quality optic.

Yes I understand that they arent the highest quality optics. However, I have a UTG 30mm tube red dot that has a red/green setting. I didnt have this issue with this optic. Changed to the micro red dot for size and weight reasons and it got glare like crazy!?

I just can't justify spending 300$ or more for a rangetoy optic.

Other than the already mentioned, upgrade your dot, a bunch of folks at Speed Steel use a cover on their dots to reduce glare.

Otherwise there are many better budget dots on the market that won't kill the bank.

Look into the TRS25 or Primary Arms micro red dot. Both are 100ish and probably light years better than anything made by UTG.

Yes I understand that they arent the highest quality optics. However, I have a UTG 30mm tube red dot that has a red/green setting. I didnt have this issue with this optic. Changed to the micro red dot for size and weight reasons and it got glare like crazy!?

I just can't justify spending 300$ or more for a rangetoy optic.

Then live with your problem until you CAN justify spending more on a quality optic.

Thank you for the suggestions. The tubular red dots are just too bulky for what I am looking for. I had previously looked at a holosun micro red dot,any experience with those?

They're all tubular...its just the size of the tube is what one wants to tolerate.

In your under 300 budget, I've used the Holosun 403R and Vortex Crossfire. I prefer rheostats over buttons for turning on and faster adjustment, and don't care for anything that thinks for me...meaning the models that have the move to wake up feature....just more to go wrong.

They're all tubular...its just the size of the tube is what one wants to tolerate.

In your under 300 budget, I've used the Holosun 403R and Vortex Crossfire. I prefer rheostats over buttons for turning on and faster adjustment, and don't care for anything that thinks for me...meaning the models that have the move to wake up feature....just more to go wrong.

Both of those are good choices for the scratch.

Well... I was originally eyeballing either a prism optic or the holosun 507c. The Prism optic seemed too big and bulky for the scout position on an AK pistol and the price for the holosun was a turnoff :(

@spookshack can you post a pic of that little cover on your red dot?

i don't currently have it mounted but I think it's in my range bag or in my gun case. I'll see if I can dig it out and snap a pic of it.
It's the handy work of @ Sig sour here on the forum. He most likely could fashion on up for someone. If there is interest, best to pm him here or catch him at the next Speed Steel match @ TCGC....

There is a bit of glare on it but you get the idea. It's made from carbon fiber. I'm not satisfied with my current choice of mounting so maybe a version 2.0 is in order? I have something in mind, I just need to run it by @ Sig sour for his input....

65C0894A-F6D8-4654-A618-E05C48077267.jpeg F2F7B96E-EF94-468B-A8FE-4E856B3E8F07.jpeg

If youre willing to spend the cash....aimpoint pro and trijicon mro do NOT do that whatsoever. The trijicon even does pretty well with me having astigmatism in both eyes.

idk, my other utg survived over 2000rds on the ak just fine and is still going!? I'm wont deny that the trijicon mro is definately a better option, just not for "the budget minded" lol.

If youre willing to spend the cash....aimpoint pro and trijicon mro do NOT do that whatsoever. The trijicon even does pretty well with me having astigmatism in both eyes.

you can however experience glare from light entering the rear of the optic. This goes for any enclosed LED emitting red dot.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top