JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for input on the best cooktop burners, portable grills, tables, lighting, chairs, you find make your glamping experience that much better.

Roof top tent and truck canopy are on their way. Looking at purchasing the Rhino Rack Batwing awning shortly.

Anyone ever run a instant pot out in the woods?

What about a cassette toilet, or is that too far? Lol, I know, dig a hole, but glamping...

What makes your trip a little nicer due to a piece of what equipment?

Thanks!

Reno

Cast iron dutch oven changed food options for me. Depending on fire restrictions, it can cook directly over coals, or a propane burner of your choice.

I've made everything from bread to chicken tikka masala in one.

20200827_200344-01.jpeg

20200827_201525-02.jpeg

My stroganoff recipe is also a hit:
20200828_200105-01.jpeg

If a Dutch oven and a fire is too "old school", the latest fad cooking option for glampers/overlanders is a skottle. Essentially a large parabolic wok on a stand with a built in propane burner. This would pair well with your rooftop tent.

-Robert

I had to look up a Scottle.

Interesting to say the least. I guess it has functionality, but a flat top griddle would be better, though maybe the same thing?

1619316372272.jpeg

Oh gosh. Random thoughts here.

Luggable Loo. Basically a 5 gal bucket with liners and a seat. You can also get a pop up privacy screen. Worth it happy wife.

Cooktop is whatever works for you. They tend to be cheap and durable. Make sure it's big enough. Cooktops are for coffee and breakfast in my world.

I never run an insta pot, but just get a small generator if you like. Camp cooking is different for me. Mostly charcoal bbq for the meat and sometimes a skillet for the rest. Usually I just do it all on the charcoal grill.

I love the roll up tables, very efficient and strong.

Chairs.... I like the backpacker portable ones from REI. Also bought (with AMEX points) the Yeti ( I know I know) chairs. They are amazing and awesome. If you can get them without writing a check.

I have a pop up canopy I carry sometimes, a pop up tent is cool when you have extra people and easy if you have the room.

I'm all about quick setup and tear down.

A lot depends on what you want. Adventure kitchen? Get a trailer? Cooler or aux battery/fridge?

Google is your friend on this stuff. The adventure/trekking sites help with finding setups, but most of the premade stuff for sale is usually like 4 times what you think it should be. I tend to cut a lot of corners with my stuff but I invest a little coin when I need to.

-Dean

Honestly, for shorter trips...like 2-3 days, and if I'm not grilling, I've taken to cooking meals at home and then just warming them up when camping. I don't particularly enjoy cooking and cleanup in particular, when camping. YMMV.

Coleman porta potti that cleans easily and you can use it for camping or on a sail or power boat.

NOT heavy to move when empty. NOT heavy to move when full - it comes APART too.

It comes apart to empty it - bottom level.

ADD a little bit of water not a large amount.

If a lady tinkles - urinates in it - she can put the paper in the potti or in a plastic garbage bag with a tie and throw it away later on.

The other paper would got into the porta potti and emptied all at one time when it gets flushed out and cleaned.

I have owned two of them. One back east and we have one here now. We used it when we camped in my husband's former new GMC work van (NOT used for work.) with the two seats up front, a mattress in the back, etc.

I have other ideas now but they are basic and common sense things that you probably ALREADY KNOW!

KEEP a WET washcloth or a few of them in plastic bag or bags so that you can wash your hands if you snack - drink coffee or tea in the vehicle while driving - soap and water with a good rinse can come later on when you totally STOP.

It is a handy tip and there is NO need for baby wipes or those other paper like things that BURN your hands under the name of a 'sanitizer' when good SOAP and WATER works the best!

Best wishes to you.

Cate
PS: We used older Coleman products and my MT husband has some hunting, mountain climbing and survival gear but I do NOT know all of those brand names now. He is asleep now.

Coleman porta potti that cleans easily and you can use it for camping or on a sail or power boat.

NOT heavy to move when empty. NOT heavy to move when full - it comes APART too.

It comes apart to empty it - bottom level.

ADD a little bit of water not a large amount.

If a lady tinkles - urinates in it - she can put the paper in the potti or in a plastic garbage bag with a tie and throw it away later on.

The other paper would got into the porta potti and emptied all at one time when it gets flushed out and cleaned.

I have owned two of them. One back east and we have one here now. We used it when we camped in my husband's former new GMC work van (NOT used for work.) with the two seats up front, a mattress in the back, etc.

I have other ideas now but they are basic and common sense things that you probably ALREADY KNOW!

KEEP a WET washcloth or a few of them in plastic bag or bags so that you can wash your hands if you snack - drink coffee or tea in the vehicle while driving - soap and water with a good rinse can come later on when you totally STOP.

It is a handy tip and there is NO need for baby wipes or those other paper like things that BURN your hands under the name of a 'sanitizer' when good SOAP and WATER works the best!

Best wishes to you.

Cate
PS: We used older Coleman products and my MT husband has some hunting, mountain climbing and survival gear but I do NOT know all of those brand names now. He is asleep now.

PS: The person who mentioned the bucket has a good idea too. I never used the bucket set up.

But I prefer a Coleman porta potti. Put a small tent around her bucket if you can or a blanket.

Remember that human smells WILL draw animals to your area too.

I have tinkled in the woods/wilderness but I was not camping for a time frame. I was walking/hiking/exploring.

So a hole can be dug for paper but if you are only going to urinate - most ladies carry a roll of paper with them or some PAPER in their pocket or in a fanny pack so they can tinkle and wipe. The paper can be buried or TAKEN away in a small plastic bag and disposed of properly.

Our former GMC work van held the porta potti easily so it could be USED INSIDE of the work van so there was NO need to get up in the middle of the night to tinkle.

It was used in grizzly country a LOT too.

Cate

I'm not much of a outdoor person, how about switching to "Holping" instead? Its like camping, just in a hotel. If you want an adventure feel to it, select a Marriott instead of a Westin and call it good. :D

Ok if you insist on this glamping thing, the one grill I can recommend is the Weber portable, this one:

I've used it when grilling at the beach and its very nice and folds up into a compact package.

Another thing I bring along is a weber charcoal starter chimney, it starts the charcoal very quickly and makes cooking meals a lot simpler.

Went to a few stores to look at different camping gear. Picked up a griddle. Should work nicely!

E9C5FA94-18FF-447A-82FE-A808DE010912.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads