JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/06/police_arrest_two_men_accused.html

I was there, they passed me just before they hassled that family less than a mile up the beach. My girlfriend and I were walking a ways up, between where this happened and some large rocks on the beach. From about 100 yards away they started yelling, "YO F* YOU! F* YOU! W'LL F* YOU UP! YO B*CH! WE'LL F* YOU UP!" Exactly like that, on and on and on. They weren't just yelling, they were enraged, they were really, really loud. More enraged than I've seen anybody in a while.

Anyway, I did all that I could to keep smiling at my girlfriend and not make eye contact with them, since they were going to opposite direction as us on the beach, and had a good 50 yards between our paths, although I kept watch on them through the corner of my eye.

The thing was, though, I am a CHL holder and I was armed at the time. If they were to have approached and then pulled a knife on me, they would likely both have been killed.

I wonder if they or the police read this, because they are lucky to be alive. By noticing, then choosing those other people to attack. Most likely, they chose to attack them because the family gave them more attention than my girlfriend and I. I spoke with the man and he wasn't too shook up, and all he said was, "Those guys weren't after anybody specific, they just wanted to kill somebody today." I couldn't agree with him more.

Did you see them pull a knife on the other family? Just wondering if you had that smile on when another innocent persons life was potentially at risk?

They were a mile away. Thanks. You just had to throw in the "smile" comment, didn't you.

I had no idea they had a knife, and no idea they weren't just yelling at me, because at the point they were yelling at us, we were the only people within about a half mile of anybody on the beach. By the time the incident with the family happened, we were a mile or so away, in a higher traffic area with others around. Even though I looked back many times as they walked closer to where the family was, we couldn't see anything specific.

Sheesh, some people's kids.

Why they actually engaged that family and not my girlfriend and I, is probably because I completely ignored them. Well, they thought I ignored them. I kept smiling and walking with my girlfriend, and didn't make eye contact with them at all. I was sure as heck watching them, though.

Why they actually engaged that family and not my girlfriend and I, is probably because I completely ignored them. Well, they thought I ignored them. I kept smiling and walking with my girlfriend, and didn't make eye contact with them at all. I was sure as heck watching them, though.

Well played indeed.

-d

Although you probably did the right thing. I have been in a situation like this before and I was armed. I always for the safety of others watch those people. Keep my distance and try to be out of their sight while watching them intently. WHILE I CALL THE COPS!
These people are becoming more brazen, and it isn't a question of if, it's when they will assault someone. And doing it to someone with their family! Sick.

I would have kept close and the minute I saw a knife, it's go time. Keep your distance, keep yourself between them and the family if possible. Be calling the cops while your moving into position, hand your phone to one of the "victims" and have them back away. Don't pull your gun, but keep a hand on it. If they make a move, make it their last dumb mistake. But only shoot the one with the weapon. More than likely the other will flee or comply. If he does attack, put him down. If he doesn't control the situation until he cops show up.

Anybody who would act like that and in front of children deserve to meet their making as soon as possible.

Although you probably did the right thing. I have been in a situation like this before and I was armed. I always for the safety of others watch those people. Keep my distance and try to be out of their sight while watching them intently. WHILE I CALL THE COPS!
These people are becoming more brazen, and it isn't a question of if, it's when they will assault someone. And doing it to someone with their family! Sick.

I would have kept close and the minute I saw a knife, it's go time. Keep your distance, keep yourself between them and the family if possible. Be calling the cops while your moving into position, hand your phone to one of the "victims" and have them back away. Don't pull your gun, but keep a hand on it. If they make a move, make it their last dumb mistake. But only shoot the one with the weapon. More than likely the other will flee or comply. If he does attack, put him down. If he doesn't control the situation until he cops show up.

Anybody who would act like that and in front of children deserve to meet their making as soon as possible.

:s0155:

Watching the video, one can speculate the classic roles of the dom and sub in the pair. The scary thing is that if not caught, their role-playing and crimes could easily escalate into murder...

That is just a far speculation, but a predictable outcome in time!

I did call the police, and right after they pulled the knife, they heard sirens. I asked the guy when I went back to where I came from and spoke with the man of the group, and he said they fled because of the sirens.

You can make assumption if you wish, but if I were to follow every suspicious person on the street, I'd be one busy guy in Portland. Maybe if I lived in some small town, but this isn't out of the ordinary in Portland.

I'm not a vigilante, and I don't have the time to follow people unless they were to have flashed weapons at me.

So, you're saying I should have engaged them and followed them? NO.
From what I gathered, even the smallest stimulus from myself giving them attention would have set them off. This is the last thing I should do, even the police would agree with me here. I'm not going to go blatantly follow them, they WOULD have engaged me, I am confident of that.
Again, I'm not a vigilante, I don't want such a confrontation to happen, and what you'd do is just that.

Besides, I was a mile away by the time this happened. If you think they were going to just let me watch and follow them, you're kidding yourself.

I am not the one to judge when they deserve to meet their maker. If it happens, they brought it on themselves, I'm not about to stalk and provoke any thugs I see. I watched them as best I could after I called, but they went too far for me to see.

I did the right there, I'm quite confident in that. If it was just me, things would be different, why drag my girlfriend into this? I was thinking to protect her. End of story.

I did call the police, and right after they pulled the knife, they heard sirens. I asked the guy when I went back to where I came from and spoke with the man of the group, and he said they fled because of the sirens.

You can make assumption if you wish, but if I were to follow every suspicious person on the street, I'd be one busy guy in Portland. Maybe if I lived in some small town, but this isn't out of the ordinary in Portland.

I'm not a vigilante, and I don't have the time to follow people unless they were to have flashed weapons at me.

So, you're saying I should have engaged them and followed them? NO.
From what I gathered, even the smallest stimulus from myself giving them attention would have set them off. This is the last thing I should do, even the police would agree with me here. I'm not going to go blatantly follow them, they WOULD have engaged me, I am confident of that.
Again, I AM NOT A VIGILANTE, I don't want such a confrontation to happen, and what you're doing is JUST THAT.

Besides, I was a mile away by the time this happened. If you think they were going to just let me watch and follow them, you're kidding yourself.

I am not the one to judge when they deserve to meet their maker. If it happens, they brought it on themselves, I'm not about to stalk and provoke any thugs I see. I watched them as best I could after I called, but they went too far for me to see.

I did the right there, I'm quite confident in that. If it was just me, things would be different, why drag my girlfriend into this? I was thinking to protect her. End of story.

I completely agree with you, I would have played it exactly the same way. I work my absolute hardest to avoid confrontation with these idiot gang bangers. The only time I would make any contact or pull my weapon is if they were moving in on me and or my wife with obvious intent to harm. I think you did perfect.

I completely agree with you, I would have played it exactly the same way. I work my absolute hardest to avoid confrontation with these idiot gang bangers. The only time I would make any contact or pull my weapon is if they were moving in on me and or my wife with obvious intent to harm. I think you did perfect.

The more that I think about it, I would probably do the same, but if I could stay hidden and perhaps knew they were armed, then yes I would follow them. I was with my girlfriend, that made a big difference for me. So, I don't think clearconcience was wrong, just not me in my situation.

Just because you have a gun does not mean you run right to a situation your not prepared for.. I dont think you did anything wrong. You did have a gun and yes if they did come after you they may have been dead. the gun give you the upper hand, in that situation. I to would of kept my distance and waited to see how it was going to turn out. I feel by having my CHL it is my responsibility to protect me and others around me if need be. I dotn think i could live with myself for walking away from a hostel situation and finding out later something horrible happened.

My wife and my unborn child are my main concern and I will do anything in my power to protect them. as well as any of you if need be.

You played it exactly right, and let the evil pass you by. I know the area well. Newport/Toledo have always been secretly dangerous places at night, with mean punks and drunks in all of the surrounding hills. The timber and fishing economies have been in the dumpster for decades there, and young adults see no future to work for and very little reason to be civil or civilized. There is even small boat piracy going on---they will try to steal your crab pots while you are still on the water! Aggressive panhandling of the tourists is the norm in Newport now. I guess this broad daylight menacing is just the next step up.

It's funny how one of those blog responders called for counseling instead of incarceration for these baaaad boys! He will have to have his own learning experience about feral young men, I guess..........................elsullo :cool:

They were a mile away. Thanks. You just had to throw in the "smile" comment, didn't you.

I had no idea they had a knife, and no idea they weren't just yelling at me, because at the point they were yelling at us, we were the only people within about a half mile of anybody on the beach. By the time the incident with the family happened, we were a mile or so away, in a higher traffic area with others around. Even though I looked back many times as they walked closer to where the family was, we couldn't see anything specific.

Thats a good move. If they got close enough I probably would have just started hitting them. Of course after a warning. But there's only so close you can get to me when you act like that.

I had a similar situation once when I was carring. Three punks were trying to break into a empty house as my wife and I walked by. One of them started to make a move towards my wife and I and said "What are you looking at *&#!@" I put myself between the punk and my wife and kept walking. They didn't follow us so we called the police as soon as we could (no cell phone). Would I have shot him if he had attacked? Absolutely! Did I make the right choice by not confronting him? Absolutely! You made the correct decision.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top