JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Honest question for you, post election. And no, not intended to bash you in any way.

A s a 3rd party voter, and seeing the results of yet another election where votes are split among multiple 3rd parties, do you really believe a 3rd party will ever have a real chance at a major race, like governor, in Oregon?

As of now, with 91% reporting, 50.6% of Oregon voters voted for someone other than Kate Brown, that's more than voted for Kate Brown. Obviously, a majority of Oregonians, slim though that margin may be, don't want her. The problem is, these folks refuse to work together to bring that to pass.

One thing is for certain - Democrats have a tendency to back their candidate, to rally around them, even if they aren't their "ideal" candidate. They are in it to win, then sort out the details later. Outside of the Democrats, it seems folks are less concerned about winning and trying to send some kind of a message, a message which, I'm afraid to say, never gets received.

Imagine if all these folks were able to set aside their requirements for the "perfect" candidate, and focused, instead, on unseating Kate Brown and finally upending the one-party rule in Oregon, imagine the message THAT would send to Salem. They would have had to work with a Republican governor to get anything passed. There would have been a mandate to work together. Instead, they now remain completely unchecked. We can't stop them. Whatever they want, they're going to get it. Knute may not be perfect or desirable, but he could have brought some sanity, some parity to Salem. Unfortunately, that opportunity has been lost.

851,896 Oregonians didn't want Kate, 19,164 more than voted for her. Imagine if those who oppose her could have found a way to work together. That would have been a message that no one would have missed. Instead the message Kate got from this - she won by a landslide and now has a mandate to do whatever she wants. The future is not good for any of us.

View attachment 516004
To best answer your question I sincerely hope that a third party some day rises to prominance because I think our two party system are opposite sides of the same coin and we keep.our leaders which I feel do not really care what we want. The only time our leaders want to hear from us if we need to pay taxes or they need my vote. In short i do not feel we have a representative government because it has beaned turned into big business for politicians
Maybe the only way we can expect them to start listening to us is to see a few heads roll. Maybe it's time to bring the guillotine out of retirement.

To best answer your question I sincerely hope that a third party some day rises to prominance because I think our two party system are opposite sides of the same coin and we keep.our leaders which I feel do not really care what we want. The only time our leaders want to hear from us if we need to pay taxes or they need my vote. In short i do not feel we have a representative government because it has beaned turned into big business for politicians
Maybe the only way we can expect them to start listening to us is to see a few heads roll. Maybe it's time to bring the guillotine out of retirement.

Change is obviously needed. I guess I'm not convinced it's going to happen during the elections. Looking at the numbers for 3rd party candidates over the years, it seems roughly the same percentage of voters are voting for them. And nothing changes. Their popularity isn't growing and they aren't gaining any real influence.

I would love to see folks come together to unseat the party in power. If that means all opposed to that party have to back a single, imperfect candidate, then that's the way I guess it has to be. Imagine the message that would send to the single party running this state.

Change is obviously needed. I guess I'm not convinced it's going to happen during the elections. Looking at the numbers for 3rd party candidates over the years, it seems roughly the same percentage of voters are voting for them. And nothing changes. Their popularity isn't growing and they aren't gaining any real influence.

I would love to see folks come together to unseat the party in power. If that means all opposed to that party have to back a single, imperfect candidate, then that's the way I guess it has to be. Imagine the message that would send to the single party running this state.

We could see if Al Mobley wants to run for governor again.

Given the bleak future for more gun control what would a preparation minded person do in terms of purchases? Firearms, ammo, supplies???

Magazines might be high on my list. Firearms if you don't have what you want yet and don't want to run into a potential for an "assault weapons ban" type bill coming through - which Kate basically promised not long ago.

I know the correct answer is buy as many as you can, but what does everyone feel is the minimum amount of rifle and pistol magazines to last them the rest of their life?

Everyone's all "third party voters made Knute lose" but by the same logic you ought to apply all the votes for the Progressive Party candidate to Brown, and then she still wins, 50.53% to 49.30%. Really, she didn't even need them - she still got 49.95% without them (at the time I checked the state website, of course).

Get over yourselves.

EDIT: and before anyone gets their knickers in a twist, I voted for Knute. I'm just being realistic.

Last Edited:
Here's how I see things:

1. Locally here in OR we are screwed. There's nothing to be done other than to challenge the crap that has come down and is about to come down in federal court. [More on that below]

It's too late to worry about who voted how. There's nothing to be done. We're going to lose a major chunk of our rights. I will say one thing about 3rd parties: "How's that 3rd party voting working out for ya?"

2. Federally, we are not in a bad place [yet]. We have a Republican president and we have a larger majority in the Senate going forward. Why is that important? The Senate approves judges, and we now have enough of a majority that one or two traitors can't hold things up. We've already got a pretty good start on having the right personnel in place on the USSC to have laws like I-1639 declared unconstitutional. I think we've got about a 4.75 to 4.25 [I don't trust Roberts] majority on the USSC already, but just to cement things we need one more. If Ginsburg has the good manners to die in her sleep sometime in the next year or so we will have a lock for the 2A.

The only fly in the ointment is if the Dems in the House try to impeach Trump or Kavanaugh. I think that's unlikely. They might impeach but the trial would be in the Senate, so any impeachment is going to be for show only. But if the president is standing trial the Dems will argue that he shouldn't be appointing justices.

Of course, all of this hinges on these ballot measure challenges arriving at the USSC level. The court has refused to hear gun control cases since Scalia's death because the outcome would likely be a 4-4 stalemate. You might think with Kavanaugh's appointment that they would go forward now. But like I said, nobody trusts Roberts.

The other question mark is whether the NRA/OFF/GOA/etc. will help push those case forward. I'd like to think they would, but there's no guarantee, and frankly, you or I can't get such a case to the USSC without being independently wealthy. But that is our best hope now. Any victories at the state level for the foreseeable future are wishful thinking. We have to depend on the federal courts, ultimately the USSC, to protect our rights. Thank God we have Trump and not the evil queen bee in the Whitehouse.

Food for thought: despite touting "record high" membership, NRA spending on the midterms was down 90% from the 2014 midterms.

NRA's spending is way down in the 2018 midterms. Does it have 'a popularity problem?'

Where did those membership dues go?

NRA went to bat for us on IP43 and/or IP44 in Oregon. I think I heard they went to bat on I1639 in Washington also.

I'll pay my membership dues if for no other reason than to keep their membership numbers up; but I do think they are a very important ally for our 2A rights, probably our most important ally. I think they are fighting a lot of lawsuits that we don't hear much about; and now they are being attacked by financial institutions, state governments, and anti-gun kooks of all kinds.

Given the bleak future for more gun control what would a preparation minded person do in terms of purchases? Firearms, ammo, supplies???

Thanks to Kate Brown hiding the new legislation proposals from the voters, we don't know what will be in the new Oregon laws; but I'd say yes to all 3 of those, realizing that new gun laws may require registration of semi-autos and magazines holding greater than 10 rounds. I would not be surprised if they put some kind of limit or BGC requirement on ammo purchases. And there may be safe storage requirements, so if you have guns and don't have a safe be prepared to spend a little on a secure storage container. The antis who will be running the show in January are radical extremists so be prepared for anything.

Everyone's all "third party voters made Knute lose" but by the same logic you ought to apply all the votes for the Progressive Party candidate to Brown, and then she still wins, 50.53% to 49.30%. Really, she didn't even need them - she still got 49.95% without them (at the time I checked the state website, of course).

Get over yourselves.

EDIT: and before anyone gets their knickers in a twist, I voted for Knute. I'm just being realistic.

I am not a fan of 3rd parties after seeing their insignificant candidates repeatedly spoil our elections, but you are correct - based on the vote count it appears they did not cause Knute to lose in 2018.

Ginsburg hospitalized today with three broken ribs after a fall. Timing for the left couldn't be worse if she doesn't make a full recovery. Could be a chance for a third Trump SCOTUS pick. I'm hoping for Amy Comey Barret, just to watch the left have to attack a woman without coming off as hypocrites.

Ginsburg hospitalized today with three broken ribs after a fall. Timing for the left couldn't be worse if she doesn't make a full recovery. Could be a chance for a third Trump SCOTUS pick. I'm hoping for Amy Comey Barret, just to watch the left have to attack a woman without coming off as hypocrites.

Given here age a recovery will be very extended. But broken ribs without significant pain unlikely to interfere with her job performance, unless fatigued as well. But we can hope for an appointment of a conservative judge replacement.

Sucks for Oregon and especially Washington, but nationally, just remember...

-Bill Clinton lost 52 seats in the House
-Bush lost 30 seats in the House
-Barack Obama lost 70 seats in the House (more than any president since Truman) AND lost 13 senate seats

So look at the bright side, there was no blue wave.

We have the presidency, solidified the hold on the Senate and constitutionalist majority in the SCOTUS with possibly another justice nomination on the way. Trump will stack the courts (look at the nutty 9th). The unhinged Dims are emboldened and will continue to show their true colors via the likes of Pelosi & Waters for the next two years and shoe-in Trump for in 2020.

One step closer...
Ginsburg, 85, hospitalized after fracturing 3 ribs in fall

Given here age a recovery will be very extended. But broken ribs without significant pain unlikely to interfere with her job performance, unless fatigued as well. But we can hope for an appointment of a conservative judge replacement.

My wife's 92 year-old cousin broke her hip, went through surgery and a long recovery. That was 3 years ago. She still lives on her own. Depends a lot on the individual. Though I wouldn't be sad if she decided it was time to retire.

Yes, there is a need for some kind of public relations campaign or something showing shooting in a good light. Right now when people think of guns they only see so-called "assault weapons" in their minds instead of those used for trap/skeet/target shooting, biathlon, plinking and other fun and wholesome events.

snug.jpg

I wonder at what point a website like NWFA will be considered unlawful, or users must submit to background checks? Sounds nuts? Well, I'll bet what has played out in CA, OR, and WA in the last decade sounded like complete bat-bubblegum to many of our oldest forum members when talk about such things came up at the local coffee shops.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top