JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
As for the other risks you mentioned, that comes with the territory of buying used guns.
I dunno about that. I think the "reasonable expectation" of potential buyers is that the owner is either the orginal owner, one of a small few, has a reasonable knowledge of it's history, use and care... and has not been used in the commission of a crime. (They don't want to get caught selling a crime gun any more than I'm willing to buy one)

If you're talking about a rental piece, that's an entirely different matter, should absolutely be disclosed, and is likely to cause many a prospective buyer to take a pass on it.

At least when you're buying a range rental, you know what you're getting, the firearm has been under the owners supervision and can attest to it's approx. round count, ammo type use and care.

Private party rental..... there is no such assurances and, IMHO, severely devalues the firearm. There would also be a bit of a "shady" stigmatism attached to it.

I can only speak for myself, but even if I "might" consider buying a range rental (if the price was just incredible, lower end round count, and it passed my hands on examination and live fire test)... I would absolutely take a pass on a private party rental no matter how good the price was.

*And... by "rental"... that doesn't have to mean the same as a traditional rental type scheme and would include "hot swapping" between owners in a relatively short period of time.

Last Edited:
I have bought one firearm back that I sold to a friend. And I have gotten one firearm back from my Father inlaws estate when he died (I gave it to him when he got me a M1Garand through his VFW post)

Other then that all I have ever had is sellers remorse I regret almost every firearm I ever sold or traded away. Even a few that I made out real well on a trade.

I dunno about that. I think the "reasonable expectation" of potential buyers is that the owner is either the orginal owner, one of a small few, has a reasonable knowledge of it's history, use and care... and has not been used in the commission of a crime. (They don't want to get caught selling a crime gun any more than I'm willing to buy one)

If you're talking about a rental piece, that's an entirely different matter, should absolutely be disclosed, and is likely to cause many a prospective buyer to take a pass on it.

At least when you're buying a range rental, you know what you're getting, the firearm has been under the owners supervision and can attest to it's approx. round count, ammo type use and care.

Private party rental..... there is no such assurances and, IMHO, severely devalues the firearm. There would also be a bit of a "shady" stigmatism attached to it.

I can only speak for myself, but even if I "might" consider buying a range rental (if the price was just incredible, lower end round count, and it passed my hands on examination and live fire test)... I would absolutely take a pass on a private party rental no matter how good the price was.

*And... by "rental"... that doesn't have to mean the same as a traditional rental type scheme and would include "hot swapping" between owners in a relatively short period of time.
Being a cheap skate I have bought some beat up firearms. I save the Gucci ones for you guys.

I wouldn't do it with a complete stranger, but I have done it with a friend.

He was hard up for some cash due to some medical bills. He was going to sell a coupIe guns to pay for them, but they were guns he'd really regret having to sell in the future as they had personal meaning to him. He was also the type who wouldn't accept a loan from a friend, so I "bought" the guns from him with the stipulation that I would never sell them to anyone else and he could buy them back for the same amount when he got back on his feet. Six months later he had his guns back.

While I don't really understand the "Why" or notion behind the OP's idea here....
So what...?

The OP should be free to buy / sell or trade as he likes.
How or what he sells or trades is his....to do with as he pleases...
What he buys , also becomes his.
So again ...even if I don''t understand , agree or like it....So what..?
Andy
Ideally, youre correct, but this is just an unlicensed pawnshop. If they dont buy the gun back, he can/will sell at a profit. As a free capitalist, I dont have a problem with his crazy idea, but he should be licensed if hes going to do this.

I think this idea sounds like a nightmare of liability, customer problems, paperwork and legality issues.

Last Edited:
Sounds like a plan to pick up guns on the cheap from someone who needs the cash with the hope that they will not be able to purchase it back.

Similar to a pawn broker.

You technically have to do that with or without a "license" for anything over $600 (That amount might have changed, I haven't kept up with it, but the point stands).
Buddy, Uncle Sam wants his piece of the pie even if it's under $600. That's just the amount someone has to report on a 1099 if they paid you that much. Income is income, and I'm sure everyone ALWAYS reports every penny they ever earned through their firearms dealings, even if their recordkeeping isn't so precise. :s0140:

Ideally, youre correct, but this is just an unlicensed pawnshop. If they dont buy the gun back, he can/will sell at a profit. As a free capitalist, I dont have a problem with his crazy idea, but he should be licensed if hes going to do this.
"but he should be licensed"

What's next a license to buy a gun?

A deal is done when it's done.

Guarantees of sellers buying back at same price, buyer having remorse etc is all BS.

Buy it or don't buy it, sell it or don't sell it, and quit being a biotch.

If I purchased a firearm and the seller came back to me with regrets I would probably do them the favor under most conditions and sell back so long as they refunded the original transfer fee.

An exception would be "I found someone who will pay me more money so I want it back" as opposed to "I just realized that it was grampa's hunting rifle and my brother wants it".

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads