JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I posted a couple of want ads in which I offered to let the sellers have the option to buy back the firearms for the same price I pay for them after 90 days. There will be little risk for me, as I will only pay a price that I would willingly pay if sellers don't want to buy them back.

Part of the motivation for this, are a couple of purchases I observed recently. Two different handguns were bought for very cheap prices. The sellers were not given the option to buy back the firearms at the price the buyer paid. I am betting that these sellers will have regrets a few months down the road and wish they could buy the guns back.

Has anybody here been on either side of a transaction where seller was given the option to buy the item back for same price that was paid? Were you satisfied with how the deal worked out?

Last Edited:
Back when I was doing shows I several times sold something for so much I almost felt bad. Several times bought something cheap enough that I almost felt bad. Almost being key here. Adults made this choice. If someone wants to let the seller have the item back at the same price? Great. Given the hassle and cost to transfer I would NOT do this but, all are free to do as they please.

Back when I was doing shows I several times sold something for so much I almost felt bad. Several times bought something cheap enough that I almost felt bad. Almost being key here. Adults made this choice. If someone wants to let the seller have the item back at the same price? Great. Given the hassle and cost to transfer I would NOT do this but, all are free to do as they please.
It would give me the opportunity to try out different firearms for around $12 a month assuming seller bought it back in 90 days. I would only be out the transfer fee of $37.

I felt bad for the two sellers, I had to bite my tongue so I didn't tell the sellers they could get at least twice as much money on NWFA.

I gave the seller the option to buy back, once. Guy had a pistol for sale in an unpopular chambering for a STEAL of a deal. Came with holsters, aftermarket sights and a streamlight for about $200 less than I could find just the gun on shelves. Said he really needed the money to make rent so I offered him his asking price if he drove the full 2 hours to me which he did. Told him I'd sell it back to him for 1 year, he never came to repurchase. I ended up selling the gun for a profit during the covid panic and still have the holsters and light.

I gave the seller the option to buy back, once. Guy had a pistol for sale in an unpopular chambering for a STEAL of a deal. Came with holsters, aftermarket sights and a streamlight for about $200 less than I could find just the gun on shelves. Said he really needed the money to make rent so I offered him his asking price if he drove the full 2 hours to me which he did. Told him I'd sell it back to him for 1 year, he never came to repurchase. I ended up selling the gun for a profit during the covid panic and still have the holsters and light.
Probably still more than he could have gotten at a pawn shop. This is why it never bothered me when I got a great deal buying. Several times it was someone in a bind for cash. I figured they would walk into any pawn shop with the same gun and get cash and if they wanted the guy back could. I bought a few guns from pawn at a great price which means the shop got it at a real steal. This means though that some owner chose to take a loan on the gun and then not go get it back. Adult choices.

I would be interested in monthly rental of firearm for $12 month (including bg fee), if any shops offer that?
Be interesting but, I very much doubt you would ever see it. The administrative cost? The shop would have to have some kind of insurance so when rental gun is lost they get paid. They would have to have a system of getting damages when someone abused the gun and brought it back. It could certainly be done but, at a cost where people would pay? Doubt it as price would be too high.

I would be interested in monthly rental of firearm for $12 month (including bg fee), if any shops offer that?
I'd be renting their equipment to test out VERY hot handloads, I can tell you that. Not gonna booger up my own gear if I didn't have to, whatever contract they had with me be damned. Prove I didn't use exclusively winchester white box and herter's.

I'd be renting their equipment to test out VERY hot handloads, I can tell you that. Not gonna booger up my own gear if I didn't have to, whatever contract they had with me be damned. Prove I didn't use exclusively winchester white box and herter's.
Hopefully the guy that rented it before you didn't rent it to test even hotter loads:)

I have LONG wondered about this with rental guns at the range. Place I go if you rent they tell you, you have to use only their ammo they sell in their rental guns. OK, I can see why but, they have no way in hell of knowing if you are using their ammo or ammo you brought in once you are back their shooting. For a long time they had what was left of an AR barrel laying on the counter that had been blown by a shooter who had a squib and then tried to clear it by firing another of his home rolls through it.

Having had sellers or traders remorse a time or two...
I can appreciate it , if the new owner is willing to sell or trade back.
However there is that word if.....

I never expect the new owner to be willing to trade or sell back to me.
I sold or traded something....that something is now beyond my control.
Andy

I know you are trying to throw out some food for thought, but there could be real ramifications for someone selling or renting a firearm.

If I was to go to a range that has guns for rent, so I could try something out, I would be using range purchased ammo, in a set environment. When I'm done the firearm is returned, inspected, cleaned etc. I would have a reasonable expectation that the firearm is in safe working condition.

If someone was to buy a firearm from you with the option to buy back in 90 days, you have no idea what they are going to do with it in regard to ammo, maintenance or potential abuse. Even worse said buyer/renter uses said firearm in the commission of a crime. You could end up with a crime scene gun back in your possession. Too many possibilities for something to go wrong or be abused.

That being said, I had bought at least on gun back from someone I sold it to. Only after it was listed to sell. It was a similar deal as to what I had sold it for and didn't mind having it back. I have also sold a firearm back to the original seller. Both situations were people I knew, people I could trust hadn't and wouldn't have abused the firearm or use it in the commission of a crime.

If someone needs to sell a firearm with the option to buy it back, that is what pawn shops are for. Lots of people use them when they need a few dollars back in their pocket and retain the option to get said firearm back. They are stored safely, not used and will be returned in the same condition as when it was pawned.

Closest I have to this has been buying a gun from a friend and agreeing if it was ever sold to give first shot back to the seller. IIRC I think I brought it out when we when shooting so he could visit it again as well.

I know you are trying to throw out some food for thought, but there could be real ramifications for someone selling or renting a firearm.

If I was to go to a range that has guns for rent, so I could try something out, I would be using range purchased ammo, in a set environment. When I'm done the firearm is returned, inspected, cleaned etc. I would have a reasonable expectation that the firearm is in safe working condition.

If someone was to buy a firearm from you with the option to buy back in 90 days, you have no idea what they are going to do with it in regard to ammo, maintenance or potential abuse. Even worse said buyer/renter uses said firearm in the commission of a crime. You could end up with a crime scene gun back in your possession. Too many possibilities for something to go wrong or be abused.

That being said, I had bought at least on gun back from someone I sold it to. Only after it was listed to sell. It was a similar deal as to what I had sold it for and didn't mind having it back. I have also sold a firearm back to the original seller. Both situations were people I knew, people I could trust hadn't and wouldn't have abused the firearm or use it in the commission of a crime.

If someone needs to sell a firearm with the option to buy it back, that is what pawn shops are for. Lots of people use them when they need a few dollars back in their pocket and retain the option to get said firearm back. They are stored safely, not used and will be returned in the same condition as when it was pawned.
Pawn shops are definitely an option if you want to pay interest and fees and accept a very low loan amount. If you were 100% sure you wanted the firearm back the pawn shop would probably be the better way to go.

As for the other risks you mentioned, that comes with the territory of buying used guns.

While I don't really understand the "Why" or notion behind the OP's idea here....
So what...?

The OP should be free to buy / sell or trade as he likes.
How or what he sells or trades is his....to do with as he pleases...
What he buys , also becomes his.
So again ...even if I don''t understand , agree or like it....So what..?
Andy

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR