JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ok, this wasn't supposed to get all political I know The recent laws have made you all as pissed as I am but I'm not stupid I just needed to know if transferring a firearm to a family member who lived out of sate was legal without an FFL. He's old enough and a CCW holder We just didn't know if it was an issue because we spent most of our lives in WA and here you can give a family member a gun as a gift without an FFL. I've had the gun for a while and just don't use it. So instead of selling it, I figured I'd give it to him. I'll just mail it to his local FFL and have it transferred legally under the law. Sheesh.

Nate, moi upset over initiative(s) isn't going to occur nor will you ever discern me discussing your intellectual capabilities, however, I will point out one small issue...alas you, as an unlicensed citizen, are not allowed to mail firearms. [18 USC SEC 83, 1715] [not EVEN new, quite an olde mandate.]

Fedex, etc., overnight works, though $$, and if you have copy of distant end FFL license inside.

Good thing your brother is coming to visit as you posted initially, huh?

Nate, moi upset over initiative(s) isn't going to occur nor will you ever discern me discussing your intellectual capabilities, however, I will point out one small issue...alas you, as an unlicensed citizen, are not allowed to mail firearms. [18 USC SEC 83, 1715] [not EVEN new, quite an olde mandate.]

FedEx, etc., overnight works, though $$, and if you have copy of distant end FFL license inside.

Good thing your brother is coming to visit as you posted initially, huh?
Let's assume for 2 seconds that I had already looked into shipping it to an FFL in his state.
How to Mail Guns (Legally and Without Going to Jail) - Pew Pew Tactical
Gun Shipping - Fast, Legal, Affordable
Seriously I'm not a child I know how to google. I had a specific question. I am aware of a vast majority of the laws in place already. This is one specific set of circumstances that I wasn't sure where the line was. I am not trying to break, circumvent or otherwise ignore any laws I am just looking for the most effective way to transfer a firearm to another legally able owner that happened to be in my family. Can we now move past assuming I am a child that doesn't know crap about anything? It was going to him regardless I just had the simple thought that "Hey he is going to be here in Wa for thanksgiving and gee wouldn't it be great if I could just hand him the gun and be done with it. Maybe I should look into the laws for this again. I can't seem to find the very specific laws on transferring a gun to a family member out of state. I will now go ask some people that might have the answer." What I get is political posts and people assuming I'm either a child or telling me rules I already know and not the one I need.

So I will just proceed with the original plan which was to place the gun into one of the legal shipping options for this task. Send it to an FFL near him and let him pay the transfer fees. And wouldn't you know it's still cheaper than just buying a new gun which is what this was about in the first place?

Last Edited:
You know nate, you seem to be getting extremely agitated towards me in particularl, insinuating i presumed anything about your maturity, i haven't nor as previously stated won't!

Further, knowledgeable as you purport to be, you felt the need to ask the question on a public forum, did you trully believe any member, myself included, would publicly advocate circumventing established and known FEDERAL/STATE statutes infront of the 277 + unknown guests roaming the forum at any given time?

Finally, when you use specific words like '...i will mail...' probably resulting from the fact that you failed to discern the article cited switched from the term 'mail' in the article's title to the term 'shipped' in the artle itself is not my fault, leads individuals to believe you are not familiar with the law. Fact remains unlicensed citizens may not mail firearms...period.

For future use...might stick with statutory references instead of bogus newspeek media or hearsay forum information as those are not admissible as viable and objective evidence.

You can always set up a gun trust, list him as a trustee and viola...neither of you own, you can both use it or possess it and it's not a violation of state or federal law. Of course, a trust is more expensive and time consuming than just doing a private party transfer at an Oregon FFL.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top