JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My brother is coming up for a bit and i missed his birthday a few times so because he is going to be around i figured i'd take him shooting. We haven't gone shooting in years. He has been talking about buying a pistol and i have a spare Ruger SR9e it's a great shooting gun but i have moved on to other options. Long story over I know here in washington i can give it as a gift but he lives in OR will there be any issues? I can't seem to find out if i need to Do an FFL or if it's fine even though he will be going out of state after.

Yah, your probably correct. Have to do the joke background check thing.

Oh and, considering he lives out of state, and that it's a handgun, you are going to have to have to ship it to an FFL in Oregon.

Or, I could be mistaken in that you already gave it to him last year when you visited him in Oregon...:cool:

You and your brother are residents of different states so Federal laws apply. I assume neither of you have a FFL so you are both "non-licensees" under Federal law. Under Federal law, transfer (that includes a gift) of a (not antique) firearm from a non-licensee of one state to a non-licensee of another state must go through a FFL in the home state of the receiving party. In your case since your brother is an Oregon resident the transfer must go through an Oregon FFL. If it isn't convenient for you both to go to an Oregon FFL in person you can ship the firearm to a FFL near your brother's home.

You and your brother are residents of different states so Federal laws apply. I assume neither of you have a FFL so you are both "non-licensees" under Federal law. Under Federal law, transfer (that includes a gift) of a (not antique) firearm from a non-licensee of one state to a non-licensee of another state must go through a FFL in the home state of the receiving party. In your case since your brother is an Oregon resident the transfer must go through an Oregon FFL. If it isn't convenient for you both to go to an Oregon FFL in person you can ship the firearm to a FFL near your brother's home.
That is what i was afraid of...

The less said about it the better. I know how I would handle it, but YMMV... One does of course meticulously follow all state and fed regulations to avoid issues with the federation.:s0087:

This.

...however OP (&brother) should also be mindful of the date of manufacture of said Ruger SR9e vs the enactment date of OR SB941.

-they were all manufactured after summer '15.

Find one in a reputable Oregon gun shop and pay for it. Either have bro stop by and do the paperwork, or you can use a ruse like "Hey, let's go look at some guns." If out-of-state-payer is verboten, then just take cash along and see if you can put a hold on the gun.

Consider this scenario: you don't do a legal transfer of the firearm and just give it to your brother. The firearm is stolen from your brother and it is recovered at a crime scene or from a criminal. The ATF will do a firearm trace from the manufacturer and it will eventually lead to the dealer who sold it to you, and then to YOU. Law enforcement will ask you how the firearm that was last known to be legally owned by you ended up at a crime scene or in the possession of a criminal in Oregon or elsewhere. What will you tell them? Is that kind of headache worth saving the cost of the transfer fee?

And with Washington's new "Make granny a criminal" law, the giver is potentially at legal risk. Notice how this war on guns has brought crime to its knees?

Me neither.

The best solution is for both of you to move to Idaho or another free state not controlled by gun grabbing tyrants. It will save you the cost of the BGC and you can breath the fresh air of freedom.

Consider this scenario: you don't do a legal transfer of the firearm and just give it to your brother. The firearm is stolen from your brother and it is recovered at a crime scene or from a criminal. The ATF will do a firearm trace from the manufacturer and it will eventually lead to the dealer who sold it to you, and then to YOU. Law enforcement will ask you how the firearm that was last known to be legally owned by you ended up at a crime scene or in the possession of a criminal in Oregon or elsewhere. What will you tell them? Is that kind of headache worth saving the cost of the transfer fee?

Lawyer-Up.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Not to mention screwdrivers and garden tools. Can't find the link but read an article earlier this year where police were horrified to find a screwdriver and a small garden tool in the bushes somewhere in London. O. M. G.

Here are the current rules and note the search and siezure aspects: Which sharply pointed objects can you legally carry? | James Welch | Liberty Clinic

It's all about taking away your inherent right to defend yourself and anyone else. The sheep must not be allowed claws.

First, let's quantify a few things...
1. How old is your brother > 21?
2. Is he disqualified due to drug use, DV etc.?
3. same last named brother?
4. purpose to gift a firearm to him, er, not to commit felony or such?

"loan him the firearm" I mean do an formal agreement where he is identified and states he is responsible for appropriate carry, take appropriate training, appropriate upkeep, and so forth...and must return said firearm in xyz days upon your explicit request!

If in the unlikely event it is stolen from him and used in the commission of a crime, (?) and in the unlikely event LE's can find you via FFL records, [sorry like all of you I have purchased firearms from FFLs and privately bought and sold firearms to citizens all over this country over the last 20 years and if someone out there truly believes LE's can trace them - really?] OP just tel them I "loaned it to my brother, here is the lease agreement!"

rehash of this thread...of importance is the last page per se...
Can Oregon, Washington or a Californian resident legally buy/sell firearm to private party in Idaho?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews