JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Soylent Green!
Soylent-green-its-people.png

Aloha, Mark

This is something new. A lot of people don't wanna work any ways to depending on the state and government.
give the government to much power or they think they have the power they will take full advantage of it and you.
All I have to say is good luck.

Really like to do a long rant but no sense in it as it's a waste of time. To know where you are going you have to know where you came from. There is so much info people passed over or poo pood as tin foil hat and now folks are getting bit on the but.

In cognitive dissonance people don't accept we are at war, a biological war released on the world from Wuhan China. Created with your tax dollars and used to control the herd while making billions off the change in the way the herd lives.

Want to know your future then you are part of the herd and what's the herd going to do?

If you study the last two years you can see how many consequences have been created by covid, our politicians and the media. They are far from done.

Now yall can dismiss this as doom and gloom and go right back to cognitive dissonance of the herd mentality or figure how to survive this.

Good night and may God bless.
You never answered the question. It was honest and all you did was ridicule the OP. What's YOUR prediction or answer?

What is going to happen to our communities, with people and employers reacting to Biden's mandates on the vax, people out of work, services in a free fall, products in short supply as a result. What is the time frame and how will citizens react? What will happen in the greater Portland/Vancouver area? Or, statewide?
Most people don't have the time to listen to anything but the evening news. We were at the in-laws the last couple days and when the 4:00 news came on, they we like the people in the time machine movie who dropped everything to the sound of the morlock's calling….."Covid19, Covid19,Vaccine,Vaccine, The Unvaccinated!!!!….Women buying guns, Shoiting on 122nd and Sandy, and now to the weather…" And when asked to watch the following linked video, 'nah, it's too long and they ask for your email"….

Here's the video…that is too long

Early retirements and skilled workers moving to free States.
A lot of people see this as at least somewhat of an opportunity.

I always tried to do that when I was laid off. Ten years ago I had a contract gig end because the client sold their IP and closed out the corporation. End of self-employment. After a few months I landed a contract with a staffing agency renting me out to DTNA. I was hoping for at least 9 months of employment - it lasted for 9 years. Then CV-19 hit and DTNA saw this as an opportunity to let most of the contract IT staff (200+) go in Portland, and move some of the support work to India where they would pay much less.

That was my hint to just go ahead and retire, and I did. I looked for work until this month. Got one short 5 week gig, but other than that nobody really wants to hire a 67 year old dev who is so close to retirement.

They want someone who will be around until THEY decide when to dump them - usually without the notice they say they require from us.

That's life in the big city - I am glad I am no longer part of it and that I saw it coming, sooner or later, and prepared for it.

Not sure about other industries, but I have a decent view of the regional realities of the food industry, and warehousing/transportation for same.

Upper management is running scared IMO. Any time someone in the rank and file decides to leave, the subsequent replacement is offered the position at a far higher rate of pay. Signing bonuses are also becoming the equivalent of Les Schwab popcorn. I'm currently buying from a salesman who was hired at $75k , replacing a guy who was making high $50s annually. He's done a half a$$ed job so far, in my opinion. To be fair, it's completely possible that he was given twice the customer load as the man he replaced .
Every CDL who's been hired this year got a 10k signing bonus, and I hear that 15 is offered for some of the worse gigs ( or more experienced drivers).

Not sure about other industries, but I have a decent view of the regional realities of the food industry, and warehousing/transportation for same.

Upper management is running scared IMO. Any time someone in the rank and file decides to leave, the subsequent replacement is offered the position at a far higher rate of pay. Signing bonuses are also becoming the equivalent of Les Schwab popcorn. I'm currently buying from a salesman who was hired at $75k , replacing a guy who was making high $50s annually. He's done a half a$$ed job so far, in my opinion. To be fair, it's completely possible that he was given twice the customer load as the man he replaced .
Every CDL who's been hired this year got a 10k signing bonus, and I hear that 15 is offered for some of the worse gigs ( or more experienced drivers).
Instead of offering the existing person more $ and better working conditions.

Decades ago I quit a s/w QA job that had me working impossible deadlines on a salary. I was working 10-12 hour days to meet the deadlines. Several times I asked for more staff, a raise, and I also asked for a dev role instead of QA. The VP of engineering said no to each. I quit to work a more 8-5 job with better pay and less stress, who gave me some staff to help with the workload. The VP at the previous org hired three people to replace me and he was fired a few months later.

Decades ago I quit a s/w QA job that had me working impossible deadlines on a salary. I was working 10-12 hour days to meet the deadlines. Several times I asked for more staff, a raise, and I also asked for a dev role instead of QA. The VP of engineering said no to each. I quit to work a more 8-5 job with better pay and less stress, who gave me some staff to help with the workload. The VP at the previous org hired three people to replace me and he was fired a few months later.
That old adage "greed is good " is only true as long as the greedy persons stupidity doesn't catch up with them.

I've worked for a few truly greedy people. They tend towards being clever, or cunning. And that coupled with aggression and seeing other people as truly inferior makes rapid ladder climbing possible. But there's nothing but ruthless people at the top , and they more than happy to eat each other.

Answer to the question, did they offer him the higher pay to stay? Of course not. They asked him what he wanted to stay on . Classic poker player negotiating. Unfortunately the departing salesman had already started his own business ( completely different field)

Software QA always gets the short end of the stick. Seen it happen over and over. Product Manager sets an impossible ship date. Development works their butts off to get 80% of the features completed, fighting the whole time to get the rest of the features cut. Code freeze gets pushed out to one week before sign off. Hey guys, can you get everything final tested/certified and whatever else you do in about a quarter the time we promised you? You've probably automated most of it by now, right? :rolleyes:

Take a look at the grocery store lately? Prices are up 40-100% on a lot of things, meat prices are nuts.

Printing money has its consequences. And we haven't even seen the worst of it.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads