JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Does anyone know where to get or what the gun crime stats were before and after the Calif Mag law went into affect? I could not find anything on this.

You might try the California Bureau of Criminal Justice Statistics (part of the AG's office).

There are a ton of databases so you'll need a miner's helmet and plenty of time and patience. They have online data going back to 1982 (I believe).

Criminal Justice Profiles - 2010 | State of California - Department of Justice - Kamala D. Harris Attorney General

I've written a letter to "Dingbat" Burdick as well as my State Senator Bruce Starr but I don't expect much out of them.

-------------snip-------------------

It's nice that we've been on a roll recently as it seems that more and more states are affirming our 2A rights and making it easier to carry concealed. But I'm really concerned that over the next 4 years the make up of SCOTUS will change and we could easily be on the cusp of a major change in policy at the very top.

These are also my concerns.
Does any one else see this as significant?

She's a moonbat and resubmits her wretched draconian gun bills every year, and every year they are ignored. She was on 1190 KEX this afternoon spewing absolute garbage about 50-round clips and how so many mass shootings were stopped when the shooter stopped to reload (say whuuu???).
Fortunately they had Kevin Starrett (head of OFF) on after her to set the record straight for listeners who don't have the mental capacity to see through her drivel. I just don't understand how she gets reelected over and over again. She's the crazy cat-lady of the Oregon senate.
11698270-small.jpg

And guess who has two thumbs and is lucky enough to have ole Ginny as his state representative? This guy!

I hate this garbage. I get so tired of fighting these idiot politicians and bleeding hearts.

Times have changed, the Bill of Rights and our Constitution are under constant attack. I sometimes wonder if we will ultimately end up in armed insurrection. But then I also think that we have become a nation of self absorbed sheep and freeloaders. I think we're badly outnumbered and outgunned.

I won't give up the fight, but I truly despair for our freedom and what was once the greatest nation in the world.

Obama will likely be able to appoint two more Supreme Court justices. If he does, it will be very hard to hang on to any firearms.

He will likely replace two liberals - Ginsberg and Breyer - who will retire, so the balance on the court won't change.

Sorry, long winded I know, but I just sent this to Senator Burdick.

Senator Burdick,

After reviewing your statements on banning "high capacity" magazines, I must point out the flaws in your argument. First, I would like to give a little background on myself. I am a 28 year old native Oregonian, and I have called Portland my home since 2003, when I first went to college. I hold a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering and a Master's degree in Business Administration.

Flaw #1:
50 Round AR-15 Magazines are notorious for jamming - The AR-15 used in both Clackamas and the Colorado movie theater utilized "high capacity" magazines. In both cases, lives were spared because of the jams.

Flaw #2:
With training, an individual can be just as deadly with smaller magazines as they can if they had "high capacity" magazines. Please reference the excerpt from the history channel, the world's fastest revolver, which is NOT a semi-automatic handgun, Jerry Miculik fires 6 shots from his revolver, unloads, then reloads his revolver and fires an additional 6 shots in 2.9 seconds. The gun used is a revolver, NOT a semi-automatic firearm.
JERRY MICULIK FASTEST REVOLVER SHOOTER IN THE WORLD IPSC - YouTube

Flaw #3:
Jacob Tyler Roberts is a criminal.... Laws broken:
ORS 166.055 Theft in the first degree
ORS 163.005 Criminal Homicide
ORS 163.095 Aggravated Murder
Portland 14A.60.010 Possession of a loaded Firearm in a Public Place
I'm not a lawyer, but I'm sure that the list goes on...

Jacob Roberts, James Holmes, and all of the other mass shooters have one thing in common, they are ALL criminals. Each individual while committing their crimes, had a blatant disregard for life, and written laws in every respect. I ask you this, had there been a ban on "high capacity" magazines, why wouldn't the criminal simply disregard and ignore the law? It only takes a little bit of practice to reload a semi-automatic firearm, thus the ban will have zero impact on the death toll from mass shootings. Simply stated, by limiting the size of a magazine, you are limiting law abiding citizens such as myself.

I also ask you to consider the following:
31,347 individuals were killed by firearms, 18,735 of which were suicide
25,562 individuals were killed by falls
34,485 individuals were killed by occupying a motor vehicle
12,349 individuals were killed by riding a motorcycle
2,688 individuals were killed by cut/pierce
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr60/nvsr60_03.pdf

In Japan, where it is illegal to own a firearm, nearly 33,000 Japanese killed themselves.
Suicide Rate In Japan Still Climbing Despite Government Measures

An early 1990's study done by Gary Kleck, suggests that law abiding citizens use a gun for legal self defense somewhere between 830,000 and 2.45 million times annually.
Disarming the Myths Promoted By the Gun Control Lobby - Forbes

According to Gun Policy, there are apprixmately 270,000,000 firearms held by private citizens. This calculates to being .85 guns per US Citizen (US Population 314,934,163. Approximately 32% of US households have guns in 2010, with the average household size at approximately 2.5 individuals, this means that 251,947,000 individuals either have a gun or have access to a gun in their household. 12,612 individuals are murdered by firearms, not including suicides, which leaves 251,934,000 law abiding citizens that AREN'T committing a crime with their firearm.
Guns in the United States: Facts, Figures and Firearm Law
<broken link removed>
Analysis: Fewer U.S. gun owners own more guns - CNN.com
Average Household Size statistics - States compared - StateMaster

According to MADD, in 2012, more than 9,855 individuals are killed by drunk driving, this doesn't include the 63,000 victims and survivors served by MADD in 2011.

Two weeks ago, Christopher Krumm stabbed his live in girlfriend to death, then went to Casper College in Wyoming and shot his father in the head with an arrow, then proceeded to attack him with a knife.
<broken link removed>

If you follow your theory through to the end, we should also ban ladders of 4' tall, this alone will save more invidiuals than are murdered by firearms. Almost as many people are killed by alcohol than are by guns, by this logic, alcohol is a major killer. The number of firearm murders only account for 27% of individuals killed by automobile accidents. The same logic applies that people shouldn't drive due to the likelihood of death. Christopher Krumm used a bow and arrow, shall we ban bows? What about kitchen knives, 2,688 people are killed by a knife.

There are approximately 20 mass shootings in the US every year, on average, lets say that there's one shooter at each, this means that your proposed legislation is aimed at .0000000793818 of the total households that own guns. However, as it has been shown, criminals don't follow laws....
<broken link removed>

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed" - 2nd Amendment, United States Constitution.

June 26, 2008, District of Columbia vs Heller, the Supreme Court ruled that the 2nd amendment confers the individual the right to possess a firearm for traditional and lawful purposes such as self defense.

We live in a Country void of tyranny. We live in a country where we have the right to our own personal defense from both criminals and the tyrannical government. If we take away our freedoms, how far will it take us? In essence, we trade our freedom with the potential of tyranny. I read a lot of history, especially WWII, Nazi Germany, the citizens weren't allowed guns, and resistance was next to impossible. Are you truly willing to trade our American freedom for the illusion of security?

I hope that you will reconsider your proposed ban and I look forward to hearing from you

Thank you for posting this. It has inspired me to write my own letter. I think if just half of the members of Northwestfirearms did the same, we could make a real differance in protecting our freedoms.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top