JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How do you feel about those that use corkies to "snag" Salmon?? There are those that feel that its sporting to throw out a line and rip and pull anytime a fish bumps their line. I for one call it for what it is, POACHING! The state of Washington has already made it illegal on many river to use a stationary set because of this tactic,, and I hope Oregon adopts it soon,, what say you?

If you're going to fish this way then don't call if fishing....it is poaching. A couple of years ago I almost got into a fight because I made a comment about a guy in a "flyfishing" only river that was chumming....kicking up stuff from the river bed. I said it was illegal, he and I got into words until he backed down....I went about my fishing. Later that day as I was getting ready to leave, I saw him walking toward me with the fishing reg's and a beer in his hand. When he got close to me he apologized and stated he wouldn't do it again.

I had no hard feelings but at least fish as the reg's state. Chumming, poaching, snagging....it's wrong and you cannot call it a sport.

I am not sure what a "stationary set" is and although I am very much against poaching and snagging, I am not sure I would want to limit someones way of fishing just because some choose to abuse it. Kinda like taking away everyones guns because of those who would use them for bad. Now if the only reason to fish in that manner was for snagging, that would be different. :s0159:

It's poaching, when one uses any technique to take a fish either unethically or illegally in my opinion. That said,,I wouldn't want to ban any type of fishing as long as it was used ethically. By a stationary rig, I'm referring to a rig used quite extensively here on the coast these days. It involves the use of a floating lure that is attached to the bottom of a river in a "set" position, meaning it is weighted to the bottom of a river that salmon run up,, and when ever the angler feels a line bump, tap or movement on their pole, they set back and either successfully hit the fish "RIGHT IN THE CHOPS" as they like to say, or snag it in the belly, peck fin or elsewhere. This in a nutshell is what I'm talking about. Any questions?

I've seen The corkey snagging with silvers on Big Creek. They use the smallest corkey they can get so the hook almost outweighs it. Hard to tell them about it as there were about 20 snaggers and 2 of us drifting eggs. I got a nice buck and one of them says "WOW he actually bit!". They were calling it an Alaska day as the hole was full of fish and these guys probably hooked 75 or more fish each. Thing is it's an annual event as they stay in their motorhomes and do this the whole time the fish are there.

Unfortunately "flossing" is an accepted way of harvesting cohos in many rivers in Alaska. Especially on the Kenai.
Since they stop feeding when their systems are re-acclimated to fresh water, using bait is ineffective at best.
As I understand it, it's legal up there. If that's the case it should stay up there though.
In all truth, there are so many illegal practices in SE WA and NE OR rivers at salmon time, it's almost sickening to go.
I quit going years ago, mostly for that reason. Besides, salt water bottom fish are much better eating!

I for one will not stand idly by and watch those that think its acceptable to swing and set the hook every time they feel a bump on the line,, this is called "attempt to foul hook" and is illegal. I have, and will call into the local state police game enforcement officer every time I witness it, he also shares my dim view of these tactics. Its a group mentality issue, once one or more of the "good old boys" start doing it on a hole and others join in they feel its a completely acceptable way to do it. The law states that any fish that has been foul hooked must immediately be released,, yet countless times I have seen fish dragged in backwards, fought to exhaustion and netted,, while "bubba" explains to everyone in earshot that it was only wrapped in the line. This is a warning to those reading this that may employ these tactics on the rivers here on the coast, I and others like myself are here also and I will do everything the law allows to see that you learn to fish legally and ethically, or face the courts for criminal prosecution. There is no second chance when dealing with the state police officer that patrols in our area, you lose your poles, licence and tags, then you go to court. He doesn't issue citations that you pay without appearing,, he issues criminal violations that you MUST appear in court to face. Good luck,, see you on the rivers!

Let's not tar everyone with the same brush. I've used corkies, cheaters, spin n glos and oakie drifters with a little bit of glo bug yarn for years in a legal way and so do a lot of others. Granted I get peeved at the jerk contest that happens every year on places like the Hump or the Skok too, but lets not punish everyone because of the bubbas of the world.

Let's not tar everyone with the same brush. I've used corkies, cheaters, spin n glos and oakie drifters with a little bit of glo bug yarn for years in a legal way and so do a lot of others. Granted I get peeved at the jerk contest that happens every year on places like the Hump or the Skok too, but lets not punish everyone because of the bubbas of the world.

:s0155:

Here's some good news from the Hump

It's only too bad there wasn't another zero on that total, but 20 is a good start.

<broken link removed>

HUMPTULIPS FISHING ARRESTS

An emphasis patrol over the weekend on the Humptulips River by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife resulted in approximately 20 arrests for fishing violations. The arrests were for various crimes including overlimit on salmon, snagging, illegal fish, and gear violations. Sgt Matt Nixon said that numerous calls and complaints regarding the river prompted the emphasis. He wants to emphasize that its important to pay attention to the rules and fish ethically.

I've seen The corkey snagging with silvers on Big Creek. They use the smallest corkey they can get so the hook almost outweighs it. Hard to tell them about it as there were about 20 snaggers and 2 of us drifting eggs. I got a nice buck and one of them says "WOW he actually bit!". They were calling it an Alaska day as the hole was full of fish and these guys probably hooked 75 or more fish each. Thing is it's an annual event as they stay in their motorhomes and do this the whole time the fish are there.

That's sick.
The people that fish this way know they are not SPORTfishermen. They're poachers and that's why they give real anglers who speak up the stink eye and why they stick together. Safety in numbers, like it makes it ok.
Disgusting.

I also have used small hooks corkie and yarn for ever with great success. Nothing illegal about it. That being said I hate snaggers for the damage they do and for the rivers that are now restricted due to their activity's.

corkies' oakies and yarn are all good baits, It is the mentality of these folks abusing them that's wrong. A few are meat fisherman but most are for action and or eggs. they don't feel responsible for the damage to the fish they foulhook.

I also have used small hooks corkie and yarn for ever with great success. Nothing illegal about it. That being said I hate snaggers for the damage they do and for the rivers that are now restricted due to their activity's.

Problem is the snaggers have done their damage to the point, that any time you go to rig a corkie and yarn most guys look at you like you just rigged a treble with four ounces of lead in front of them. It won't be long before we're all punished and using them will be banned.

What's really sad is that the corky/cheater/okie and yarn combo has caught me more fish, when all other methods of failed.

Many good points being brought up here. The heart of the matter is that it really is those that choose to fish unethically that have brought this dim view of the corky upon others. Along the banks of the Salmon river you can stand and watch this type of snagging employed by some of the worst. A few years back, A group of concerned fisherman involved the state police, the dept. of fish and wildlife and the forest service. There were postings in the major papers in the valley and along the coast announcing the first of several meetings to address this situation. The turn out was good with several hundred folks showing up from as far away as Washington. On the table were the issue's of snagging, litter and drinking and fights that were becoming far to common along the banks of the Salmon. Ethics were foremost on the table, as the lack of them was the root cause to the entire situation. The call for an complete ban on corky fishing was raised, but after debate it was agreed that no one type of fishing should be outlawed due to the lack of ethics of more than just a few. The forest service placed out houses and trash receptacles on the lower river, a alcohol ban was implemented along the forest service section due to complaints of fights up to an including guns being drawn. Far more attention has been given by the state police. It curtailed the behavior for quite some time, but now it appears to be on the rise again. If you see this type of poaching happening, it is incumbent upon you to pick up your cell phone and do something about it. If you feel that you just don't want to get involved, that's understandable but keep in mind that this will be what gets all stationary fishing banned and its up to us to try and make a difference. As long as the officer witnesses the act of snagging or attempting to snag, you need do nothing else but make the call. Me Im going to make the call every time, if you care about preserving a method of fishing that can be used legally and ethically then you should too, because if you don't step up now, it will be to late after its been outlawed.

Many good points being brought up here. The heart of the matter is that it really is those that choose to fish unethically that have brought this dim view of the corky upon others. Along the banks of the Salmon river you can stand and watch this type of snagging employed by some of the worst. A few years back, A group of concerned fisherman involved the state police, the dept. of fish and wildlife and the forest service. There were postings in the major papers in the valley and along the coast announcing the first of several
Code:
meetings
to address this situation. The turn out was good with several hundred folks showing up from as far away as Washington. On the table were the issue's of snagging, litter and drinking and fights that were becoming far to common along the banks of the Salmon. Ethics were foremost on the table, as the lack of them was the root cause to the entire situation. The call for an complete ban on corky fishing was raised, but after debate it was agreed that no one type of fishing should be outlawed due to the lack of ethics of more than just a few. The forest service placed out houses and trash receptacles on the lower river, a alcohol ban was implemented along the forest service section due to complaints of fights up to an including guns being drawn. Far more attention has been given by the state police. It curtailed the behavior for quite some time, but now it appears to be on the rise again. If you see this type of poaching happening, it is incumbent upon you to pick up your cell phone and do something about it. If you feel that you just don't want to get involved, that's understandable but keep in mind that this will be what gets all stationary fishing banned and its up to us to try and make a difference. As long as the officer witnesses the act of snagging or attempting to snag, you need do nothing else but make the call. Me Im going to make the call every time, if you care about preserving a method of fishing that can be used legally and ethically then you should too, because if you don't step up now, it will be to late after its been outlawed.

Excellent post!

The Salmon river has been dirtbag central for decades. The lowest of the low can be found on that stream in higher numbers than most streams, which is why I don't fish it.
The problem isn't the rig, the problem is how it's being fished. If these tools would wait for a bite than just a bump to set the hook on, there wouldn't be a problem. In my opinion, most flyfishermen who target salmon and steelhead are flossers. Been fishing too long to be convienced otherwise.
I will however deviate from everyone else and say when it comes to hatchery fish, as long as it's hooked in the mouth, I don't really care, just don't go breaking out the 10' leaders. There is a guide on the coast who is one of the best bait flossers I've ever seen. I've never seen him use longer than a 24-28" leader and manages to hook most of his fish in the outside corner of the mouth. Ever use a bait of eggs on multiple fish? This guy can. Truely pathetic.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top