JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I searched the forums, and called a dealer.
(grumpy old men, one day I hope to stand tall in your ranks)

Here's the question.
I live in Oregon, my father in Washington

Can I gift a handgun to my father, without paperwork?

Totally willing to do the paperwork, just I hate the stuff.

FFL's please comment.

Thank you.

Yep, takes a WA FFL to legally transfer the handgun, then they will add the sales/use tax to it even though it's a gift. They will have to get a book value on the handgun and use it. A bill of sale for $1.00 won't work anymore.

But you might find one that doesn't follow the law and will not charge the tax.

I would just take YOUR gun up to his house and leave YOUR gun there on loan to him.......

Here is the appropriate text from the link above, "A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.".

Yep, takes a WA FFL to legally transfer the handgun, then they will add the sales/use tax to it even though it's a gift. They will have to get a book value on the handgun and use it. A bill of sale for $1.00 won't work anymore.

But you might find one that doesn't follow the law and will not charge the tax.

They are still out there.

I would just take YOUR gun up to his house and leave YOUR gun there on loan to him.......

Here is the appropriate text from the link above, "A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.".
That's what I'd do too, although I'd bet that the state defines how long "temporary" lasts.

There is no time limit on a "loan" of a firearm either fed or WA. It is a temporary loan, I would expect you would outlive your father, and inherit the handgun back anyway. No? I had all but one of my fathers guns "on loan" until he died...about 35 years...they were his guns, and if he wanted them back all he needed to do was ask. When he died, they all became mine, even the one he kept.

The feds have removed the restriction (2010) for interstate long gun transfers FTF, but they haven't changed the rules on handguns "Yet". Anyway, Just loan the weapon to you dad. Seattle does not need your tax money to waste.

This was asked a few weeks back.Maybe not with these two states though.

I said if your dad would be CC the handgun then you might want to transfer it.Just in case he does have to shoot some SOB.
But if dad is going to target shoot and use the thing for hunting,I would drop it of at the house and not look back.

I mean Dad aint looken to make some extra money with it is he?

Several years ago my Dad gave me his Dad's Winchester Model 1894 while I was out visiting my folks in Wyoming. Did I break a law by bringing it back with me?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top