JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Packed this up for a trip the coast. In event of large earthquake, plan is to grab this and "sprint" for high ground (>100 feet) and then pray.

If we survuve the tsunami it would be a long walk or wait back to civilization.

Wife has a similar smaller bag with redundencies of key items.

Assuming no earthquake I will unpack it when I get back and to over contents for constructive criticism.

20190419_105213.jpg

How broken do you think society would be after a tsunami or the big one? How many resources have you researched to utilize in such an event?

I recommend reviewing the city or areas evacuation plans or researching the areas resources before. It's good knowing what the city already has planned for such an event. Not that you need to depend on such resources, but it doesn't hurt knowing what those involved with the emergency response teams have planned as well.

Also, a lot of this stuff could be permanently placed into vehicles. Readily available of coarse, but it assists in the not needing to always pack these things and unpack them all the time.

Thanks for sharing!

Remember, vacations are about not having to always be overwhelmed by prepping for the worst, and sometimes just living in the moment can be really nice thing.

How broken do you think society would be after a tsunami or the big one? How many resources have you researched to utilize in such an event?

I recommend reviewing the city or areas evacuation plans or researching the areas resources before. It's good knowing what the city already has planned for such an event. Not that you need to depend on such resources, but it doesn't hurt knowing what those involved with the emergency response teams have planned as well.

Also, a lot of this stuff could be permanently placed into vehicles. Readily available of coarse, but it assists in the not needing to always pack these things and unpack them all the time.

Thanks for sharing!

Remember, vacations are about not having to always be overwhelmed by prepping for the worst, and sometimes just living in the moment can be really nice thing.

On the coast, I expect weeks to months before help arrives, and 1 year for civ. To return. I have quite a bit of food, lots of water filtering and purification, and 500 rds of .22 for small game.

Usually this stuff is in vehicles, my wufes bag was already in hers, but this was all my gear condensded down from my truck to be out in her rig.

Also, you are totally right, however I have been meaning to put this bag together for a while now, and this trip was just the impetus. Now that is is loaded in the back I don't have to worry about it. We had some extra time this morning before we left, so I took advantage of it, and I really like organizing gear.

I do spend too much time worrying, but as I have gotten more and more Prepared, I feel more relaxed at times.

Also, you are totally right, however I have been meaning to put this bag together for a while now, and this trip was just the impetus. Now that is is loaded in the back I don't have to worry about it. We had some extra time this morning before we left, so I took advantage of it, and I really like organizing gear.

I do spend too much time worrying, but as I have gotten more and more Prepared, I feel more relaxed at times.
Good to hear.

I have a friend that does nothing but live and breathe being prepared, I swear life is literally right in front of him and he misses it sometimes.

I like to try to be that guy in the background that says, don't forget to enjoy things too!

2m6qu6u.jpg

Finally convinced my kids to also always have a GHB/etc. in their cars too.

GHBs/etc. kept in a vehicle long term should be stored in a container that will protect the contents from abrasion, water/etc., rodents and so on - also to keep them together and not be scattered. Preferably the containers themselves should be secured in case of an accident where loose items can become dangerous projectiles (I've seen this happen).

Yes it takes up room in the vehicle, and sometimes that is inconvenient, but when you need it, you will be glad you have it.

Yep! I learned that lesson when all my gear got soaked in the back of my truck when I had the lid open shooting in the rain. Gear now goes in a pelican case!

Those of you putting kits like this together need to choose the items carefully...
Don't put anything in them that you ever intend on using again.
Use high quality gear, but no family heirlooms etc.
Once it's part of the kit... it stays with the kit indefinitely. consider everything that goes in it gone and untouchable unless/until a "situation" occurs.
Don't pull stuff out to use on camping trips, or dig into it to grab a bandaid, or knife or lighter just because it's convenient. You will likely forget to replace what you take out, and it will not be there when you really need it...
also...plastic totes are great.. and as said above will keep everything safe, but make sure you have a pack as part of the kit. If your vehicle becomes immobile and you are on foot, you're not going to want to carry a plastic tub around...
The "Home" or "Survival Series" books by A.American are an awesome read/listen(If you're into audio books like me) that might help you decide what to put in your kit. The first book is all about using a GHB to GH in a SHTF scenario. Highly recommend!

Last Edited:
Those of you putting kits like this together need to choose the items carefully...
Don't put anything in them that you ever intend on using again.
Use high quality gear, but no family heirlooms etc.
Once it's part of the kit... it stays with the kit indefinitely. consider everything that goes in it gone and untouchable unless/until a "situation" occurs.
Don't pull stuff out to use on camping trips, or dig into it to grab a bandaid, or knife or lighter just because it's convenient. You will likely forget to replace what you take out, and it will not be there when you really need it...
also...plastic totes are great.. and as said above will keep everything safe, but make sure you have a pack as part of the kit. If your vehicle becomes immobile and you are on foot, you're not going to want to carry a plastic tub around...
The "Home" or "Survival Series" books by A.American are an awesome read/listen(If you're into audio books like me) that might help you decide what to put in your kit. The first book is all about using a GHB to GH in a SHTF scenario. Highly recommend!

I agree with your second point. Usually what I do is store the more delicate gear in a waterproof pelican case, along with some extra ammo. I keep my GHB seperate with my sleeping bag loose packed to keep it from getting compacted.

The stuff that stays in my truck 24/7 as my GHB is 2nd tier gear that stays in their 90% of the time. The Inch back is 1st tier gear.

I slightly agree with your first point, and in an ideal situation everything would be redundant but I can't afford 2 of all my best gear.

I also think it is beneficial to use your gear every once and a while to keep it mold free and make sure it is all still in good working order. You just have to make sure and keep your kit re-stocked.

I agree with your second point. Usually what I do is store the more delicate gear in a waterproof pelican case, along with some extra ammo. I keep my GHB seperate with my sleeping bag loose packed to keep it from getting compacted.

The stuff that stays in my truck 24/7 as my GHB is 2nd tier gear that stays in their 90% of the time. The Inch back is 1st tier gear.

I slightly agree with your first point, and in an ideal situation everything would be redundant but I can't afford 2 of all my best gear.

I also think it is beneficial to use your gear every once and a while to keep it mold free and make sure it is all still in good working order. You just have to make sure and keep your kit re-stocked.
It depends on your level of seriousness...For most people a kit won't be as comprehensive as what you or I might have...
First aid kit, fire kit, water purification and storage, shelter, 3 days MREs... leave a $15 Mora and a decent multitool alone in the kit and there is really nothing too expensive that a basic 3 day car kit will include, and no reason to pilfer anything from it.

When you go pro.(eg... your kit has multiple tiers).. then things get a little more complicated.;)

It depends on your level of seriousness...For most people a kit won't be as comprehensive as what you or I might have...
First aid kit, fire kit, water purification and storage, shelter, 3 days MREs... leave a $15 Mora and a decent multitool alone in the kit and there is really nothing too expensive that a basic 3 day car kit will include, and no reason to pilfer anything from it.

When you go pro.(eg... your kit has multiple tiers).. then things get a little more complicated.;)
Fair points Sir!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top