JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Laminated maps have a place, but foldable are better IMO. Gives better & larger geographic area, and take up less room. Can fold to the section needed currently, and if scale is correct can open up for objective perhaps hours to days out.

Ziplocks are your friend.

Did a lot of hikes with foldable paper maps open to the section you were traveling through kept in a see through ziplock.
You don't need the full map at any time except for an over view or if you're triangulating {lost} and looking for landmarks.

Ziplocks are your friend.

Truth there;).

Ziplocks weigh almost nothing and I keep many in different sizes with me just in case I'm walking home in the rain - or out hunting in the rain.

Protects electronics (including your phone etc), spare clothes etc.

I find them much more useable then dry bags unless I'm rafting down a river.

You may notice 4 flashlights - a cheap small one lives clipped to the outside of the bag for quick access, the 5.11 pen light and Mini Mag LED live in an outside zipper pocket. The big maglite which used to be the general truck working light found it's way into my bag to stop it from rolling around the cab, I threw in the belt ring so I can easily carry it on my belt for fast access in case I need to hoof it home. 2 D cell maglight gives off a usable amount of light, but makes one hell of an impact weapon too. I also wear a flashlight on my person - I don't think you can ever have too much available light sources and there's always a task that pops up that needs a good flashlight.
Have you ever considered solar flashlights? They also make solar headlamps and lanterns. Plus my solar flashlights have the USB port so I can charge a phone. I have many Hybridlight products and they are waterproof, bright and not heavy. Amazon.com : Hybridlight Journey - Solar / Rechargeable 160 Lumen LED Waterproof Flashlight. High / Low Beam, USB Cell Phone Charger, Built In Solar Panel Charges Indoors or Out, Quick Charge using Included USB Cable, Hi Vis Yellow : Sports & Outdoors

Solar is a gimmick at this point. They take too long to charge and the performance is lack luster compared to standard battery powered lights. Batteries are cheap enough to stock and rotate and my newest $15 Cree LED light uses a single AA battery and alone puts out enough light to blind someone at close contact range but is not so bright as to be a poor work light. I also have my XL50 mini mag that uses AAA batts, and my brace of AA powered LED original mini mags, and my 2D LED mag light. Also recently added is a 2AA LED headlamp with filters and adjustable power from low work light to blinding high beam. I am pretty set for lights at the moment.

I keep an old pump turbine hand flashlight in the truck. no worries the battery will go bad. Just a little more exercise and the light tends to not be as steady. Also works as a snipe detector on campouts
I still keep the big 3 D cell mag light in the truck as well but it's more for a sense of security than a light. I do swap out the bulbs in my maglights for the leds. You can swap out the tail caps for switches as well.

I saw maps, but no compass. You don't carry a compass to be some bang up navigator, though it doesn't hurt to get there, it's because in true chaos:

1. You only have GPS as long as battery power holds out.

2. Maybe the streets you want to take are choked with cars, debris, severed water mains, or cut off by fire, locals, etc. it. It's nice to be able to dead reckon towards the general direction you need to head.

3. A baseplate compass with a mirror cannot only shoot directional objectives and help you keep course, with any map with a scale, you can easily calculate distances, without guessing, if you know where you are when you start.

4. In the woods, a compass keeps you from walking in circles if you know how to use it.

The other item I always have is a small pair of binoculars. Being able to see further is always good.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top