JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've tried both more and less Lemishine but didn't noticed a difference. I've tried as little a 1/2 tsp and as much as 3tsp in the FA 7-liter tumbler. I'm not sure how the Nu-Finish wax would do in water, but I did switch from Dawn to Armor All wash and wax and it did seem to help a little. It's not that my wet tumbled brass is coming out bad, the pockets are crazy clean and it's so much faster, but it just doesn't have the shine/polish as I can get with walnut. The brass on the left was wet tumbled with Armor All/Lemishine. The brass on the right was wet tumbled but I tumbled it a second time in walnut/Nu-Finish. There is a little more difference in person than the photo shows and the brass on the left will even darken a bit more over time. Stuff I've done in walnut/wax has never lost it's shine. Years later it looks just as good. I did a lot of research before I tried wet tumbling and everything I've come across just says it's amazing. I agree the inside of the cases and the pockets are so much better but I just can't get the same polish. I haven't found anybody saying that wet tumbled brass is more dull so I figure I must be doing something wrong. The only thing I can think of is maybe it's because I'm drying in my over at 175 instead of using a brass dryer/dehydrator? I'm curious if anybody has had noticeably better outcome using a brass dryer compared to an oven at a low heat?
The dullness comes from oxidation so the wax for the wet is not adhering as well as the dry wax is. I dry my brass on a towel in front of a heat/furnace register and just move it/ mix a couple times and it stays shiny. I'm not too concerned about shiny brass vs being clean inside outside and primer pocket. There are a few threads on the subject of shiny brass just have to search. Another issue you may have is if you use city water and the level of chlorine in it, it can contribute to tarnishing. The brass/food dryer at a lower temp than your oven can go will also help.

That makes sense. The more I think about it, it does make sense that the dry walnut and wax should be able to polish better than anything diluted in water could. I'm thinking when it comes to wet vs dry tumbling You're choosing between the best possible clean vs polish. I agree the best clean is more important and a mirror finish probably isn't making the bullets shoot any better. If I had to choose between only wet vs dry tumbling I'd go wet all day long and it is so much faster. I'm just surprised that with everything I had seen about wet tumbling nobody mentioned that you're not going to get the same polish. I had been thinking about trying a brass dryer so when I saw this post talking about them I just thought I'd ask how much of a difference they made.

Now that I seen the benefits of both wet and dry tumbling I think I'll just keep doing both. I tumble a second time any way after resizing to remove the lube. Dry tumbling brass that has been wet tumbled already isn't anywhere near as painful as it was before. It only takes about an hour and doesn't have any of the dust since the cases are already pretty much spotless.

I completely agree that it is the better application of wax preventing oxidation. In the photo I posted above, all that brass was tumbled at the same time about a week ago. On day one they looked almost identical. The wet tumbled only brass is just oxidizing faster. It gets even more pronounced over time. I have noticed in the photos I've seen where people post their wet tumbled shiny brass that it's often still sitting on the wet towel.

I am doing it backwards. I use a food dryer to dry my brass.

I put my damp brass in my surgery (reloading/gun) room between an electric blanket set on low...:s0001:

FAE28F1E-C266-4E67-8F28-D6D09F1067E1.jpeg

Just run the heated dry cycle on the dishwasher you cheap bastards!
So you're sayin we have to wait for our wives to go thru the change.....

Edit: I am not responsible for damage to computers, laptops, keyboards, monitors or phones caused by liquid saturation.

Now, for the most important use of reloading equipment:

Here is a recipe I use as an all around marinate. Used it awhile ago for jerky. It's from a Chuck Adams article.

Taken from Petersen's Hunting October 1979
Seven Step Jerky.

1. Basic ingredients are: garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, soy sauce, Worchestershire sauce, seasoned salt, Accent. Also knife and pan or bowl.
2. Slice three pounds of venison into strips about 3/8 inch thick to ensure total saturation of the meat while it's marinating.
3. In container, combine ½ cup soy sauce, ½ cup Worchestershire, 2 tsp. Accent, 2 tsp seasoned salt, 2/3 tsp garlic powder, 2 tsp onion powder and 2/3 tsp black pepper.
4. Stir this mixture well with a spoon to dissolve all of the soluble ingredients. Now the marinade is ready to be used.
5. Place the strips of meat in the marinade, be sure they're completely submerged. Marinate overnight, turning if necessary.
6. Lay marinated meat strips on oven rack. Cook for 6 to 8 hours at 150 degrees. They get crisper the longer they bake.
7. Store finished jerky in zip-lock bags or other airtight containers to seal in freshness. Jerky will keep up to two years.

Or use case dryer.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads