JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With winter nearly here the cold weather clothing and gear threads are coming out. Here's mine! A few years ago while carrying a five gallon bucket of hot water to melt the iced over birdbath I took a bad spill on the ice and nearly twisted myself in two! I was laid up for nearly two weeks except, ironically, getting up to inch my way to the birdbath with hot water!
That year we bought a set of crampons for each of us and in the next winter tried them out. Enormous head slap! Where have you baby's been hiding?
How many of you guys and gals use crampons on the ice and packed snow?

Last Edited:
Good reminder, will have to dig them out.

I went down on sloped-pavement in 08; had my left arm in a sling after having a spur removed from my elbow 2 days prior.

Landed on my elbow and slammed the back of my head....so much pain..:eek:

All options were on the table that night; glad I chose option "B" and then I bought some rubber thingies with spikes.

In a pinch, take some plastic zip ties and wrap your shoes/boots with the zip head at the bottom of the sole. Thread through the laces to keep them in place.
Alternate direction when installing and cut off the excess tie at an angle close to the zip head and off you go.
For extreme icy conditions, thread the zip tie through some short lengths of small chain links.

Last year's snow was a dry snow as it was pretty cold so I had no problem with useing the leaf blower to make a path anywhere I needed to walk . I live in the city and keep my walks free of snow. Then I salt the ground so nobody falls. Little rock salt can save you two weeks of a bad back.

Rock salt is fine, but not over my garden! I live right at the mouth of the Columbia River Gorge, it's pointed at us like a shotgun. We get ice storms about one in three years so the crampons are a practical way too go for us.
As a quick and dirty substitute, wool sox pulled over your boots is another okay way to get 'er done! I'm a bit of a fanatic about keeping my birds and squirrels alive. Especially the humming birds, with a dog I'm outside a lot on the ice. Safe winter everyone!

Ya, I loved it when I slipped on the ice and landed on a chunk of shale rock smacking my right temple. :s0039:Seen stars, temporary blackness and then ringing in the ears. But I made it , just grew another right temple on the side of my head. :s0141:

So you're teaching the wild life to be democrats? Live on the dole?

Yep, but I have hummingbirds year round!:D

Ya, I loved it when I slipped on the ice and landed on a chunk of shale rock smacking my right temple. :s0039:Seen stars, temporary blackness and then ringing in the ears. But I made it , just grew another right temple on the side of my head. :s0141:

Good to know that your head is harder than shale!:D

Last Edited:

What did that measure on the Ricture scale?:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads