JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i am just getting into reloading, and have a few questions.
should i use lead bullets or jacketed bullets?
are some powers better for some gun than others?

ill be loading 45acp,40s&w and 38 special

Any help would be great.

I prefer to use only plated or jacketed bullets as it cuts down on cleaning the barrel of lead. The powders are more of a personal preference for application rather than firearm used. For pistol rounds I use Blue Dot or Unique but others prefer different brands rather by cost or type of powder.

for .45ACP I shoot a lot of cast... because I cast bullets, and it's really cheap to do so. .40, you need to go FMJ or plated, it just performs better. .38 is a great caliber for cast bullets.

Powders to check out... titegroup for your autos, and HP-38 for your .38.

Read the Lyman book for reloading. It has a lot of good info on reloading cast bullets. Also there is a web site called castboolits.gunloads.com. Great bunch of folks over there,more then willing to help a new person looking to shoot lead.

One other warning -- if your gun has polygonal rifling (Heckler and Koch, I don't know if other brands use it) you should NOT use cast bullets, because the lead builds up in barrels with polygonal rifling, reducing the diameter and raising the pressure.
This is what I have heard, I do not know this as a fact from personal experience.
In regular barrels with grooves and lands, you can fire a few jacketed bullets through after firing cast to remove some of the leading, which makes cleaning easier.

Cast bullets are cheaper, but, if you are a complete reload newbie, I'd start with jacketed. There is a few more things that will occupy your attention with cast. Once you get the hang of it, then jump in. With cast, you will need to be concerned with leading, and not just your barrel. Also, when measuring OAL, even your caliper will get some build up. Same goes for your seating plugs (a fouled seating plug will seat bullets lower!), and I suspect the feeding ramps. Oh, yes, feeding ramps, some firearms may put a large ding on softer bullets when feeding; not good for accuracy, but I admit I am speculating. I have not yet had that experience.

Hand hygiene is even more crucial. A bunch of minor things but they add up. It is up to you. I started loading jacketed. Now I load cast for rifles and will soon start with wheel guns; and eventually will load for auto-loaders, too. Starting with jacketed and then moving to cast will provide a smoother learning curve.

Or, you can star with cast and jacketed and learn it all at once.

Just my $0.0223 (adjusted for inflation).

I've used plenty of Winchester 231, Blue Dot and Green Dot with cast bullets in 45 ACP. 38 Special I've used Blue Dot and Unique with cast bullets. When loading a closer to maximum with Blue Dot it's been a pain to clean the lead out of the bore. Keep the velocity down with cast bullets and you'll be happy.
If you want to load for velocity on the upper end of the scale, either look into gas checked cast bullets of use jacketed or plated bullets. They will cost more, but you be glad you did when it comes time to clean the gun.

I highly recommend finding a Lyman #46 reloading manual. It's chock full of the kind of info that will answer your questions.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top