JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm thinking about getting a set up for reloading for .44 mag. The only reloading I've done, is for my 7mm mag, on my cousins set up, with him there telling me what to do. I don't need anything fancy, just simple and cheap. I figure I could use the money and time I spend at the bar, and get something out of it, and have some entertainment.

My question is, what is the bare minimum I will need, besides components? I know I'll need a set if dies ($40-50), a press, which I don't know what the cheapest is that will work good, and a scale. What else, and how much should I figure I need to spend? Thanks! It'd be nice to be able to get stuff that would work for rifle too, but right now, .44 is my focus.

I just recently started reloading handgun ammo but have been reloading rifle ammo for many years. Pistol ammo doesn't require quite the TLC of rifle ammo but I still do essentially the same things, which may be overkill for pistol ammo. I will share what I use but YMMV. In addition to what you mentioned, you should also have the following: good reloading manual, dial calipers for checking cartridge lengths and OAL, case prep tools (I use a Lyman set), case trimmer to maintain consistent case lengths, loading block(s), case lube (if you don't use carbide dies, case tumbler or other means of cleaning spent cases, sturdy and dedicated workbench, notebook for recording your recipes, ziplock bags or similar for segregating and storing cases. I use an older RCBS Rockchucker single stage press and I highly recommend a handheld priming tool (I use the RCBS Universal model).

By the time you've acquired all of this, reloading doesn't seem so economical, which it isn't at first but it is rewarding and gives you the opportunity to craft loads that you like. Further, the way things are going these days, you can't even hardly find ammo and when you do it is stupid expensive. I reload for several different guns, 44 mag included, and you can certainly beat the pants off of store bought ammo both in performance and cost. Just go into knowing it is not inexpensive at first.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top