JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think what Walt is trying to say is that there are some legally registered SBR's in WA and that is true. There was a few years in the late '80's to early '90's when SBR was legal in WA. There are some of them around but not many. Even at least one member on this board has one.

There is no way to legally transfer these guns in WA though.

Does it have a stock on it? They do make AR pistols (not sbrs) and they are perfectly legal. If it has a stock just take off the barrel it should take about 2 min maybe or buy a pistol lower to mount the upper on.
Would not be legal. It is still an SBR if it had a rifle stock as an original item even if you replace it with a pistol grip only.

I think what Walt is trying to say is that there are some legally registered SBR's in WA and that is true. There was a few years in the late '80's to early '90's when SBR was legal in WA. There are some of them around but not many. Even at least one member on this board has one.

There is no way to legally transfer these guns in WA though.

Not even possibly

correct. they can be grandfathered and legal, ergo, possibly legal. when you emphatically say 'not even possibly' you're responding with facts not in evidence.

i have grandfathered Title 2s not currently approved.

Would not be legal. It is still an SBR if it had a rifle stock as an original item even if you replace it with a pistol grip only.

Yes, I am aware that if a firearm was originally configured as a rifle there is no way to legally modify it to become a pistol. That is why I asked if it was an AR pistol and if not to put the upper on a pistol lower which is perfectly legal. Due to the vague description of the firearm and admitted little knowledge of firearms by the O.P. the best way I could visually describe an AR pistol was an AR without a stock.

Yes, I am aware that if a firearm was originally configured as a rifle there is no way to legally modify it to become a pistol. That is why I asked if it was an AR pistol and if not to put the upper on a pistol lower which is perfectly legal. Due to the vague description of the firearm and admitted little knowledge of firearms by the O.P. the best way I could visually describe an AR pistol was an AR without a stock.

Not quite true, can do so with a TC Contender all the time, might want to read:

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - National Firearms Act (NFA) - Short Barreled Rifles and Shotguns

Also, lowers are not transferred as rifles unless they are a complete gun, so if the entire thing was build from parts by the original owner you can turn it into a pistol because who is to say that it hasn't always been one.

Also, lowers are not transferred as rifles unless they are a complete gun, so if the entire thing was build from parts by the original owner you can turn it into a pistol because who is to say that it hasn't always been one.

So what you're saying is to break the law again just this time not admit to it??

Link really had nothing to do with the question. And the reason it's OK with the T/C guns is they received a letter from the ATF. If you do just a smidgen of research you'll learn that ATF letter's are only good for those who hold it. I don't believe any AR manufacturers have obtained such letter.
Now if the conversation was about TC's then hey perfect comment.

SBR;s are Illegal in Wa state unless your LEO Etc.that is the state law the problem os that the weapon was regestered as an SBR and to change the weapon classifaction is nearly impossible and if the weapon is FA that is not allowed eathier and then that would create another nasty mess. the best way to dispose of this at that point is to destroy the lowwer receiver by cutting the receiver into three peices as per ATF guidlines and remove the barrel and get rid of them once the receive is destroyed by ATF guidlines you could then sell all the peices off peoce by peice. hope this helps ,,,Doc

I'm saying we should just assume that it's a pistol lower. Best thing to do though if he wants to keep it is pull the upper and take it to a gunsmith to change out the barrel. The important thing to remember is that it is still an illegal gun until the upper is out of his possession or the barrel is changed.

SBR;s are Illegal in Wa state unless your LEO Etc.that is the state law the problem os that the weapon was regestered as an SBR and to change the weapon classifaction is nearly impossible and if the weapon is

FALSE

FA that is not allowed eathier and then that would create another nasty mess.

True

the best way to dispose of this at that point is to destroy the lowwer receiver by cutting the receiver into three peices as per ATF guidlines and remove the barrel and get rid of them once the receive is destroyed by ATF guidlines you could then sell all the peices off peoce by peice. hope this helps ,,,Doc

FALSE

Well 1/3 is not bad.

I'm saying we should just assume that it's a pistol lower. Best thing to do though if he wants to keep it is pull the upper and take it to a gunsmith to change out the barrel. The important thing to remember is that it is still an illegal gun until the upper is out of his possession or the barrel is changed.

Not exactly. For it to be illegal there has to be intent. From the obvious postings of these threads there is NO intent. On top of that and LEO would have to see the gun, see a legal issue, charge you, then prove you had intent........

I can spot the difference between an ar15 rifle and an ar15 pistol but I can assure you that it was the former. The barrel looked "off" like maybe it was a hack job which was what originally caught my eye from the photos. I don't think his friend's business partners know too much about firearms because he got ripped off big time. So either he is as dumb as a door knob or all those guns were obtained illegally.

SBR;s are Illegal in Wa state unless your LEO Etc.that is the state law the problem os that the weapon was regestered as an SBR and to change the weapon classifaction is nearly impossible and if the weapon is FA that is not allowed eathier and then that would create another nasty mess. the best way to dispose of this at that point is to destroy the lowwer receiver by cutting the receiver into three peices as per ATF guidlines and remove the barrel and get rid of them once the receive is destroyed by ATF guidlines you could then sell all the peices off peoce by peice. hope this helps ,,,Doc

eb6.jpg

I have read the aft's position statement in the T/C case. They as in the BATF say it is not legal to turn rifle into a pistol even if the receiver started out as a pistol once it has a buttstock a barrel length of 16" or more and an oal length of 26" or greater it is a rifle and the only way to legally shorten the oal length to less then 26" or a barrel shorter than 16" it must be registered as a nfa item (sbr).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top