JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So this year I'm finally going to go out for deer, after years of people saying they would teach me and come along. No one has seriously offered yet for this year, so I think I am going to go at it alone, or with my girlfriend who has no interest in the actual hunting part...just the end result. It seems like mostly common sense, and I'll be taking the hunters' safety course, as well.

My theory, as a complete amateur, is to find a spot in the coast range to drive in to, set up camp by the car, and hike from there. The coast range seems like the perfect area to learn to track and hunt for the first time, medium to rough terrain, nice rainy weather (born here, love the rain, I can sit still for hours just listening), and not too far away.

Guns; I have two choices from my collection that would be suitable for deer. Number one, my main choice, is my Mosin 91/30. Bigger caliber, reasonably accurate, and I have no problem sitting in the rain for a week with my $100 rifle. Second choice would be my 12ga, loaded with either 00 buck or just rifled slugs. Being as how this will probably be uneven terrain and not a huge distance, would the shotgun be a better choice? I have the choice between a pump action and single shot, although I'm confident enough in my marksmanship to just have the one shot.

From camp, I will set out to find the nearest fresh water source, then look for the trails that lead up to the watering hole. Find the highest concentration of deer tracks, then follow that trail from a distance to a point not too far from the water but far enough to not disrupt the other wildlife needing water. Then find a good spot with a clear view of the trail, and wait.

If I manage to get a deer, I will have brought a good knife and hatchet to dress and quarter the deer, and if I have company, send someone back for a wheelbarrow or similar tool. If it's not too far, I will probably just carry it, but I don't know the area well enough to know in advance. The car is a Subaru Outback, so I was thinking a military surplus body bag to keep the interior free from any leftover gore and blood.

I have no idea what to expect, and the only thing I have ever hunted before is rabbits in Central Oregon, so I would really appreciate any input or help anyone can throw my way. Remember, I have no clue what I'm talking about so please feel free to set me straight.

Thanks,
Jordan

Practice your shots from different angles and different stances. Learn to eyeball distances and at what distances your bullet/slug lands, Meaning, if you sighted in your rifle to hit center at 50yds, where will it hit at 75yds, 100yds or 25yds? Sight in your firearm for the likely distance at which you'll shoot your deer. Learn and KNOW your personal limitations with each firearm and don't exceed them.

I'm also a novice hunter. When I first went 3 years ago, I just watched what my friends were doing and asked questions when we got back to the truck. I remember that one thing stands out- wear comfortable clothing and boots. Prepare for different weather- especially on the coast, extra hoodies,rain jackets. When you are tromping around in the bush, up and down hillsides, wearing comfortable clothes will make it more bearable. Also bring a good set of binoculars with you. If you don't get a deer this year, don't be discouraged. My first 2 years of hunting, I haven't got one yet. I'm hoping for this year but I still am going to have a good time regardless. Have fun.:s0155:

I already have my clothes for sitting in the woods all day leftover from doing just that...

Carhartt jeans
Hot Chilis longjohns
Timberland Work Pro Series boots
Several Pendleton wool shirts
Carhartt hoodie
Carhartt fleece lined jacket
Carhartt thermal socks
Stupid hat with puffball on top
Fingerless gloves with mitten flap
And for the rainy days, a large Drizabone full length raincoat

EDIT: still need blaze orange

I think the most important part of what you touched on was the fact you are going through a hunters safety/educational course. I emphasize on educational. Not only does this course teach the safe practices for the field they educate new hunters on a vast array of the things you need to know to be an ethical and successful hunter. Take the class and you'll have a much better idea of what you need to do to prepare for your hunt. Good luck.

With your plan keep in mind to stay downwind of your targeted waterhole, deer will likely come in from the downwind direction too.

You would be better off walking with the wind in your face and glassing every few feet, does can be spotted by looking for a "T" shape in the distance 100-300 yds; inside 100 yds you've likely been busted. Walk slow wind in face and quiet, glass out ahead of you as you do and you'll see more deer.

Being my first time, I certainly wouldn't mind the job being smaller than I expected. Are blacktails more common than white up there?

white tails are out east, and IIRC are off limits. But yeah, black tails are small. Definitely smaller than white tails on the average. I have seen some bigger black tails, but for the most part the ones I have seen have not been impressive. I suppose they would still make for some good meat in the freezer though.

The first thing I picked up of the original post was that you're taking your GF who has no interest in hunting!

uhhhh.......make a friend and leave her.

Well, she loves camping and the outdoors, and it's not like she's too squeamish to be of any help. She wants to go just as much as me, she just doesn't want to be the one to pull the trigger. This won't be her first hunt, just mine. She's an Alaska native homesteader.

Start scouting for your area now.

Make sure you know what you are doing with field dressing the deer. It's not hard, but it's possible to make a pretty big mess if you foul it up.

I'm in a little bit of the same boat since i'm hunting out west this year. I normally hunt Eastern Oregon. I've been using a combination of google earth and odfw's hunters map to identify some likely areas with recent clear cuts, good water spots, and public property. I've got it narrowed down to 3 areas which i will go physically scout next week in person.

If you have been practicing with fmj ammunition in your mosin make sure to get a few boxes of soft-points and get to the range. If i remember right, most fmj is close to 150 grain and the soft points are something like 205? Could be a bit of a difference in how they fly.

Good luck and have a great time. Above all be safe.

I'm interested in hunting. I've asked many to take me, but they always flaked out on me too. Maybe we should meet up and talk. I don't have a hunting rifle, but I think I can use my Cetme .308 with a 5 round magazine(correct me if I'm wrong anyone). If I don't get my tags, I can just go with you and be your spotter. Let me know what you think. I can't guarantee that I'm totally available, but I'm very interested.

I'm interested in hunting. I've asked many to take me, but they always flaked out on me too. Maybe we should meet up and talk. I don't have a hunting rifle, but I think I can use my Cetme .308 with a 5 round magazine(correct me if I'm wrong anyone). If I don't get my tags, I can just go with you and be your spotter. Let me know what you think. I can't guarantee that I'm totally available, but I'm very interested.

The first year I "hunted" I did it with a PTR 91 with the heavy barrel. While it works and would be effective, carrying around a 9+ lb rifle all day really wasn't fun. I have a permanently modified 20rd G3 mag that will only allow 5rds if you want to borrow it (not 100% sure it will work in a cetme). It is spray painted as such, just incase you get stopped. I welded a piece of steel to the follower.

If you have not taken I can 't hunters safety I can't stress the importance of this class. Just to be able to understand the reg books takes time. The one area that I see most no comers mess up is field dressing the animal you can't really go wrong but can do it neatly or messy. There are good books out there. Also there are some good black tail books out there are a excellent read for any one new or experienced. Here are couple if tips maybe other guys can add their points to the list.

1. You don't kneed a bowie knife to field dress a deer.

2. Boots you need to be able to sneak hunt deer heavy clunkers are out unless its raining. Always hunt in the rain, always hunt in the rain and the first rain is great.

3. Black tail are nocturnal stay until dark and hunt in the middle of the day when every one else leaves we have shot bucks that were caught in the open they hide till it gets quite and then try to sneak back into cover.

4. Be positive you will go a lot of days with out seeing much.

5. Hunt the cuts,don't just walk though and around walk though them deer will be bedded down in places you can't imagine.

6. Get the best glass you can and use it a lot, you will be surprised at what you see.

Have fun and I wish you guys the best maybe you can come back and show us your pictures.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top