JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was thinking some more about the motorcycle option. At first thought, it seems appealing - being able to ride between the cars and making your way through the traffic jam. However, I can imagine that you'll cross paths with someone who's disgruntled (to put it mildly) about being stuck in a traffic jam and they see you riding along. You might seem like a pretty good target to them. Then, there's always the possibility someone might open their car door and over-the-handlebars-you go. And, of course, let's not assume that people will stay in their cars - the road could be full of people milling about, blocking your path.

Still could be an option, but not without its challenges.

I honestly think chaos will consume the roads and trails for the first couple of days weeks.
Unless a person is tapped into some secret raido signal and getting a live feed of LEO, Natonal Guard and even NATO action on the waves I think we'll be in the dark until its close to too late. Check points, huge lines of cars and masses if not waves upon waves of people..

After a few hours in grid-lock folks will leave the vehicle and march on taking what ever they can carry.. And that is during the light hours. I could easily see anarchy taking place when the sun goes down, (Power will most likely be out)

I plan on bugging in (For the most part) for the fisrt few days if not weeks before heading out and probably only scooting during night. Reading the stories for the survivors of countries that have gone through civil wars and regime take overs..etc.. I took a few pointers I really agree with. Making a mad dash aka "Bugging out" (for me) ins't one of the things I'll do right off the bat.
However if I'm smack dab in the middle of what ever is taking place I usually carry a get home bag and a gallon of water, On these hot days I bring two, one to drink and one to pour on my head (Ghetto air-conditioning)
As I've posted before, If I'm local I just bring a pistol and 5 magazines (Yes 5), if I'm out of my zone I take a longarm and pistol
(As of late an AR15 or my H&R single shot 12g) Both break down into my bag with a pistol and X number of magazines.. My get home bag doesn't always make it into the truck all the time though.. I need to get in the habbit of bringing it no matter what.

Or live somewhere that you don't have to get out of a city. Go try the country life.

Always liked having 'things to do' in the city, but I have to say a smaller area like Silverton, Stayton, or some other outlining area does sound appealing about now. If I was in my 20s, maybe a log cabin and creek somewhere but when you are AARP it isn't as easy. (Central) Portland will be bad, but a walk in the park compared to LA, NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, and many other major cities.

my edc bag is used for all mentioned only a few changes are made day to day if we are goin on an all day trip it will have extra weapons and ammo if local it still has enough ammo to get me home and extra socks, protien bars and what have ya's. thankfully we live out in the country so we will be buggin in for as long as possible

Im in North Salem. If I react fast enough I think I could go east without much trouble as I have a feeling i-5 will be a total mess. West could be a major problem due to the river and im sure all the crossings will be jammed.
I would give my left nut to have a place in the country at the moment.

For most, planning to bug in is the best idea, I think. There's tremendous value in being in a place where you know the people around you--who does/does not belong--how to get to things nearby, etc. Not to mention the logistics. Being on the move is incredibly dangerous in a situation like this.

For most, planning to bug in is the best idea, I think. There's tremendous value in being in a place where you know the people around you--who does/does not belong--how to get to things nearby, etc. Not to mention the logistics. Being on the move is incredibly dangerous in a situation like this.
That would depend on who your living around. There are only a few in the neighborhood that speak English much less those I would trust to help out if things got bad. Personally, im going east or at least try to.

For me, it would depend a lot of variables.
What has haapened?? A biggie
What do i know that others don't??
Am I still living where i am at this moment or have I relocated?? Like I have been trying to do for a year!
Where did it happen?? Where I am or other the other side of the country??

Lots of variables, when it happens each person needs to decide what is the absolute best thing for them and their family??

That little helicopter strikes me as an option. If one has a bug out spot in the rural areas that little copter might get you there. Thirty minutes flight time per fueling might mean you have to plant fuel cans at a few points along the way. However it might be a way to get one person to higher ground.

What you really need is one of these CubCrafters SuperSports

Carbon Cub SS - Overview - YouTube

all you need is 45 feet to take off or land! What this allows for is landing and taking off anywhere! Stash fuel at known locations and your good to go.

No offense, but if I had $160k to blow I'd set up an off the grid place to retreat to with solar, creek water, etc. I'd be a fish out of water - no more NWFA lol, no toys; but the piece of mind would be nice.

7 Reasons to Consider Off-the-Grid Independent Living

No offense, but if I had $160k to blow I'd set up an off the grid place to retreat to with solar, creek water, etc. I'd be a fish out of water - no more NWFA lol, no toys; but the piece of mind would be nice.

7 Reasons to Consider Off-the-Grid Independent Living

I hear ya but how do you get there?

I have a friend's dad building one as a kit for $75k. They might sell this one to pay for the next one.

I see your point. On/off road enduro-type motorcycle would still seem to be the only cost effective chance. If need be, dump it and walk. Of course, living of the grid would be the ideal thing. Not completely safe though as marauders would be out looking for such places. I always think of that country white-bearded guy that does gun reviews on YouTube. He has that giant flag on his property that says 'come and take it' and a pic of a rifle on it. Unfortunately, when you are isolated out in the sticks there will be a lot of scumbags out there plotting to do just that.

A lot of boats tied up to docks along the Columbia and Willamette. Imagine yourself heading downstream towards the coast in a rich guys pleasure craft.

I see your point. On/off road enduro-type motorcycle would still seem to be the only cost effective chance. If need be, dump it and walk. Of course, living of the grid would be the ideal thing. Not completely safe though as marauders would be out looking for such places. I always think of that country white-bearded guy that does gun reviews on YouTube. He has that giant flag on his property that says 'come and take it' and a pic of a rifle on it. Unfortunately, when you are isolated out in the sticks there will be a lot of scumbags out there plotting to do just that.

WHile true, living in the country a person can be more self sustained, just to make sure you are always a watchen who is around. And when shtf surround yourself with people of like mind, you will know the lay of the land and when something seems out of order it probably is.

lots of dogs and critters they always hear and see stuff before you and I do. As for the rovering bands, well I think I would rather be in a rural setting where I know what is what and can have caches than to live in the city and have 10 times more gangs fighting it out for scraps every day.

But to hang a flag with a rifle on it saying come and get it is a challenge to the roving marauders that they cannot pass up, better to live stealth, be prepared, when they come be prepared to fight a long nasty battle, hopefully I will have others around me that I have linked up with to watch each others back.

I'm moving in with you KH. As long as I can bring my Playstation3; giant screen TV (for mind numbing games and time wasters, not MSM news), and Terminator2 pinball machine HAHAHA.

There should be plenty of people willing to play sentry in exchange for a can of food every few hours. All my neighbors are the most clueless bunch you could imagine. They will all be cannon fodder - easy targets - for any thug with a crow bar and some time to waste. The entire street, except my place, is as dark as a bat cave at night. Neighbors think they are saving the environment driving their Prius' and turning all their lights out. One is a disabled ex-Marine whom I talked to a while back. Had some hope, but he got rid of every gun because they made his wife uncomfortable. My boot would have made her uncomfortable and the AR would have stayed.

Go for this one. Jump the creeks and downed trees.

Damn that looks like a blast!

Jay Leno (whom I don't like much) said it best: "Money will not make an unhappy person happy, but it will make a happy person happier."

That is one fun looking toy. Would love to have that at Lake Billy Chinook.

Damn, $190k + thousands in maintenance storage; :( - nice thought though. http://www.hovercraft.com/content/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_93_2&products_id=553

(I personally love the 'add to cart' and 'checkout' - like it would be that simple)

I'm moving in with you KH. As long as I can bring my Playstation3; giant screen TV (for mind numbing games and time wasters, not MSM news), and Terminator2 pinball machine HAHAHA.

There should be plenty of people willing to play sentry in exchange for a can of food every few hours. All my neighbors are the most clueless bunch you could imagine. They will all be cannon fodder - easy targets - for any thug with a crow bar and some time to waste. The entire street, except my place, is as dark as a bat cave at night. Neighbors think they are saving the environment driving their Prius' and turning all their lights out. One is a disabled ex-Marine whom I talked to a while back. Had some hope, but he got rid of every gun because they made his wife uncomfortable. My boot would have made her uncomfortable and the AR would have stayed.

BURT, I am surrently in a similar situation, I have trying like heck to relocate, I keep applying, praying and buy lotto tickets, I know what I want and am looking for, I have lived in the country, mountains and the city. I feel safer in the woods unarmed than I do in city armed, go figure

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top