JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
While returning to the Portland area from Seattle recently, I encountered 5 separate accidents along the route on I-5. Each one shut down or slowed down traffic in both directions. It made a hot August drive almost twice as long.

Why both directions?
1. Emergency vehicles responding from both directions
2. "Rubber-Neckers" slowing down to get a view
3. Faster moving "Rubber-Neckers" rear-endeding the slower "rubber-neckers" in front of them
4. Dry vegetation catching fire along side the freeway from one of the wrecks
5. Injured people being treated and their wreckage blocking the road.
6. Vehicles breaking down while waiting for the traffic to clear by running out of gas, over-heating radiators, etc.
7. The domino effect

What did I learn?
1. I re-discovered the harsh reality that Getting-Outta-Dodge on freeways won't be possible during a major event. (This was just an average Sunday in August! Imagine what panic would add to it.)
2. Some of these wrecks caused traffic to be backed-up from one city to the next.
3. Depending on where you get caught in the traffic, there may be no exit, alternative route or way out.
4. Before you can act, you get blocked-in from vehicles around you. They get blocked-in as well. In an instant, everyone is stuck until the traffic clears. Therefore, stay in the slow lane so you can exit to the right to get off-road.
5. Buy a helicopter that can fold up to go in your trunk. :)

What if that traffic jam in front of me is being caused by a major event that just happened without warning?
Being blocked in front and back means I'm not going anywhere and there will be no tow trucks or first responders to clear it out.
They would be working in the cities.
Now I'd be on-foot trying to get back to Dodge!
I thought long and hard about that all the way home without a Bug-Back Bag in my car.

I love the copter as a toy and other ideas, but you have to know that if you do such a thing in a SHTF scenario you will be used as target practice.

The only practical get out of Dodge vehicle is an on/off road motorcycle. Something that can be used to get around roadblocks and miles and miles of backed-up traffic. Personally, I think the whole bug out thing is way overrated. One's best chance of survival is to be prepped, understated, and try to stay under the radar.

Buzzing around is just going to get you nowhere but into trouble. If you are a mountain-man type and live near the Ozarks I could see it. If you are a Portlander trying to find trees and deer, not so much.

What if that traffic jam in front of me is being caused by a major event that just happened without warning?
Being blocked in front and back means I'm not going anywhere and there will be no tow trucks or first responders to clear it out.
They would be working in the cities.
Now I'd be on-foot trying to get back to Dodge!
I thought long and hard about that all the way home without a Bug-Back Bag in my car.

I think the same way as you, Burt Gummer, and some others. I've already seen what can happen in greater Seattle due to a seeming "simple" snow storm.

I've prepared a large duffel bag and keep in my commuter vehicle. My get-home bag (GHB) includes a backpack, weapon, full changes of clothing, blah blah blah.

Peter

The only practical get out of Dodge vehicle is an on/off road motorcycle. Something that can be used to get around roadblocks and miles and miles of backed-up traffic. Personally, I think the whole bug out thing is way overrated. One's best chance of survival is to be prepped, understated, and try to stay under the radar.

If I thought more about these types of scenarios this would be the same way I'd go about it. I've got the KTM Adventure fueled up in the garage and all the other things at home - plus living out-of-the-way doesn't hurt.

My horses are the vehicle of choice the way I see it. They have a brain. While its only the size of a walnut you can still train them to do amazing things including take the wheel while I shoot, Hunt like a good dog, Warn you of approaching danger. Its a partnership. I take horses places most gas powered vehicles would break into pieces as you winched them thru the terrain. And while I would never need to try it Im pretty sure I could just ride over the top of a traffic jam. If I didnt have horses I would opt for a small dirtbike I could lift over trees and stuff.

People can move those broke down cars by hand. Brute strength and ignorance is an amazing combination. About 7 young guys can lift and move one end at a time. We used to pick them out of ditches before the tow truck got there for a prank.

Another Problem:

During a "Major Event" panicked people will do desperate things that they normally wouldn't do.
Like...ambush you to get your dirt bike, boat, horse, ATV, whatever.
You will be a target as they justify...it's me or them.

Yeah, $60k for 30 min. Flight time. Out of PDX that should drop you into the middle of a mountain range somewhere. Not good.

I find myself asking questions such as what is the useful load (total weight that it can carry), how might the rotors perform in light precipitation, etc.

It is an interesting innovation though, and might evolve into something more practical later.

Peter

I just can't believe, even if someone had unlimited funds/resources, that the mini chopper could be taken seriously.

Talking a shtf scenario here where anything high tech is going to get Jasper and Billy Bob to pull over in their pickup truck, pull their rifle/SG, and start 'a blasting.

There would no more helpless feeling then to be dangling around in the air waiting to be used as target practice. You would be shot full of holes just for the fun of it. I wouldn't shoot you, but surely someone would. Paranoia and fear would rule the day and some guy playing Power Rangers in the sky ... well ... goodnight nurse.

There would no more helpless feeling then to be dangling around in the air waiting to be used as target practice. You would be shot full of holes just for the fun of it. I wouldn't shoot you, but surely someone would. Paranoia and fear would rule the day and some guy playing Power Rangers in the sky ... well ... goodnight nurse.

At the Museum of Flight's Personal Courage Wing, a display talks about WWI flyers being shot at by their own ground troops. Anyone living in better conditions than the ground troops (which certainly described the pilots) was fair game for getting shot at (paraphrasing somewhat from what I remember).

BTW: if you haven't visited the Personal Courage Wing at the Museum of Flight, it's well worth a trip there just for that.

Waiting for the big earthquake or SHTF scenario then leaving in the minutes and hours after most likely won't work, because of traffic. All surface streets, highways, freeways will be jammed leaving the big cities. That little Nisqually earthquake 10 or so years ago showed that you could not get out of the Seattle area.

You need to leave early for the SHTF scenarios and unless you have the ability to predict earthquakes, you will need to bug in, or wait a day or more.

Or live somewhere that you don't have to get out of a city. Go try the country life.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top