JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Only 34% of Americans own guns
41% of whites own guns how ever 20% of black Americans, and 20% of Hispanic Americans own guns.

Most of those that own guns are older and soon to die off (sorry guys). We need to find a way to get more black and Hispanic Americans involved in shooting sports to prevent the 2nd amendment from disappearing as older white men die off and the percentage of minority's grows.

The question is how do we do it?
I had an idea that involved a non profit organization that would provide a basic firearm free (22, or a shotgun or something) to minority groups that pass a background check, and take a safety/constitutional awareness class.

my thinking is that once they get to the range they will have fun, realize the right of protection and there for the right of self determination. Not all but some will realize the idea of individual responsibility and freedom by starting with the right to bear arms the rest will follow and help to protect guns rights and the rights we hold dear in our into the American future.

What do you think? Any suggestions to help get this started?

I think anything to get young folks shooting is a good thing, however I think the last thing we need is special treatment for a particular ethnicity or racial group.

I would be more apt to support a young folks of all creeds group. I think it would be great to have programs that maybe target helping minority's but still operate as "we help everyone" We don't need anything further to make us different or special.

I think the tough sell would be you are likely to need financial help from rich, old, white gun enthusiasts so don't exclude the ones you can get on board. Just keep the focus on shooting sports and young folk

Those stats must not be including the Hispanic & Black gangs of LA Chicago etc.! Or the White thugs that infest our Cities as well, organized or not.

Anyway reaching out to Blacks and minorities to think of guns in a good way??

Same as anyone else. Talk hunting, target, collecting and history, self defense and SHTF as well as the 2nd Amendment and what it's in place for and how it's getting weakened year after year.

I guess it starts with befriending and hanging out with a Black or Hispanic, then introduce him to your "hobby" if you will.

I've invited a few non whites I'm friendly with at work but they have declined. Blacks are rare in my area.
Special treatment/incentive?? Haven't we had enough of that with minorities over the years?

The web has a few gun info Black role models that aren't gangsa! Most young Blacks would laugh at him though.

Last Edited:
I didn't mean to specifically exclude whites. I meant to emphasize the need to get more people of different racial backgrounds involved because the white gun owners are dying off and there isn't enough people to replace them.

I'm just trying to save America lol without being a "racist"

I've talked shop at work with these guys for years. I got a Hispanic guy to finally go out and get a pistol, he decided on an HK p30, and a black guy at work I built an ar-15 for him cause he shot mine and got the itch. He paid for it of course.

I also convinced a a couple of chicks to get their CPL. but they are ashamed to talk about being gun owners because we work with alot of gun grabbers and they don't want to be shunned.

Last Edited:
What will work is getting women involved. Make it a women's right to defend their children. A large group of women staging a protest at the Capitol with NO males present would go a long way with the legislature and the news media.

Shooting has gained huge popularity over the past ten years and women shooters have increased dramatically in percentages.

The best way to get new shooters into the action would be to get .22lr back in stock and hold more programs like project appleseed. Additionally, bring basic marksmanship back into the schools at the 8-12 grade levels, and require basic firearm safety/marksmanship as a core subject.

Good topic of conversation.

I have quite a few non-white gun owning friends. One, a Mexican-American woman, I introduced to firearms when we were college students at the U of O together. She is now an NRA-certified instructor and the president of a gun organization in Colorado.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top