JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a daughter who will be 2 at the end of March. It is great! and i know i am early and have at least a few years to go but i have been thinking about it... what is the best way to start a young kid on guns. I think a single shot 22lr ( in a rifle ) would be best.

Looking for any advice from those who have been through this.

A bolt action .22LR single shot rifle is a great start...I still shoot one fairly often myself.
(A Remington model 33 from 1932)

One thing to note is that some kids have trouble with the cocking piece on many single shots...I'd have 'em practice cocking the rifle , before actual shooting.
Andy

I would start off with an air gun, like the Red Ryder style that don't break 400fps. Teach muzzle discipline, backstop etc etc.

Then a .22 then maybe a .410. I actually was given a gun, still have it and can't remember the make, but it has a .22lr barrel on top and a .410 on the bottom in over and under style. Neat gun.

That's how my Dad did it with me. It's certainly not the only way but he did have me passing hunters safety at age 9.

I've been totally spacing the air guns! I really appreciate the "shoulda had a v8" slap to the forehead.

I already have a 20 cal Benjamin pump up air gun that i like plinking with but it would probably be a bit hard for a small kid to pump.

Other than the red ryder mentioned above what are some good air rifle options?

Mine was a Winchester single shot at 9 years old. Kept it in my room when not out hunting. Had a friend that his dad bought him a Remington model 11 that had six shots. Had to hit the target first time or my friend would get it.:D

Some time ago I bought a single shot kids 22lr Marlin with the idea one in the family would use it, still have it waiting for the right kid.

I would go with a bb gun or even an airsoft gun.
Those you can shoot in the backyard abd teach/practice safety basics.
2yo is a little young.

My daughter just turned 5yo and I need to start the teaching.

That's why they make BB guns we started with the little one I think is called little buck or something then red rider then the pump one I have a gamo break barrel one that's bigger now where up to .22 and 223 and 20gage

Nerf gun
BB Gun
.22 Rifle
.22 Pistol

And this is just my opinion...either a bolt action .22 rifle or a lever action .22. I give the nod to the lever action because lever actions are just freaking cool! I don't think you need to go with a specific single shot gun. In the beginning you have them load a single round at a time. They need to demonstrate safe handling and marksmanship before they're allowed to load multiple rounds. They'll quickly outgrow "single shot mode," and once that happens, single shots are just annoying. And I think between the deliberateness of the bolt or lever and your watchful eye, there's enough of a safety margin.

But it works like this...the kid has to be able to recite by heart, all the rules of gun safety that you layout for him. This includes what to do if he/she ever encounters a gun at a friends house, and basic gunshot first aid (how to apply a TQ, how to apply a pressure bandage, etc.). He/she also has to demonstrate consistent nerf gun handling without mistakes for a specific period of time. Like finger off the trigger except when on target and firing. Don't point the nerf gun at the dog...that cat, however, is ok because cats are d**ks. Kidding...sort of. And he/she also has to achieve whatever other requirements you layout. Maybe he/she needs to maintain a B average in school. Or a good citizenship standard. Etc. You get the idea.

Once they've demonstrated consistency with all that, the kid gets a BB gun. And the process repeats. Maybe there's a marksmanship goal added that demonstrates they've mastered sight alignment and trigger press. Etc.

I've been totally spacing the air guns! I really appreciate the "shoulda had a v8" slap to the forehead.

I already have a 20 cal Benjamin pump up air gun that i like plinking with but it would probably be a bit hard for a small kid to pump.

Other than the red ryder mentioned above what are some good air rifle options?

Any air gun. To start the super cheap "kid size". When I was about 10 I was allowed my first, bought with my hard earned money. Parents had trouble getting me to come back in to eat for weeks. I got so damn good my old man was shocked. Next time he took me out to shoot my .22 which I could only shoot with him, I out shot him BADLY. One warning here. MANY cites and even counties have long ago changed the laws on air guns. They are often considered guns now. Back 20 years ago I almost found this out the hard way. My kids were always in our fenced back yard shooting. I read a story in the local about a guy being arrested for this. I was shocked to find the city had made this law. Air guns are guns. If someone had realized what the kids were doing and called the Cops I would have had no idea not to say "sure we are shooting in the yard" when they showed up. Of course nice thing with air guns is they can be safely used in the home or garage where no one can see you.

There are so many air gun's out there now it's crazy there is a whole section of them at the lgs up here and I know walmWal has a bunch Cabela's .bass pro shop .big five sports Dicks sporting goods has a bunch .they run any where from 50 to 250 dollars

There are so many air gun's out there now it's crazy there is a whole section of them at the lgs up here and I know walmWal has a bunch Cabela's .bass pro shop .big five sports Dicks sporting goods has a bunch .they run any where from 50 to 250 dollars

Even Amazon. Look at them under air guns and they have all kinds of them to chose from. I have had one of those Gammo 10 shot repeaters in my list for a while. Now and then see a rat in the back and tempted to buy one to dispatch them. Damn things soon learn to avoid the traps. Only reason I never buy the gun is neighborhood cats will eventually brave the dogs and sneak in and kill them. Does lead to some fun times seeing it on the cameras. Now and then sitting here see a cat in the back yard prowling. One of the dogs will wander out to pee and spot them and the chase in of for the fence. Some times a great laugh. :)

Even Amazon. Look at them under air guns and they have all kinds of them to chose from. I have had one of those Gammo 10 shot repeaters in my list for a while. Now and then see a rat in the back and tempted to buy one to dispatch them. Damn things soon learn to avoid the traps. Only reason I never buy the gun is neighborhood cats will eventually brave the dogs and sneak in and kill them. Does lead to some fun times seeing it on the cameras. Now and then sitting here see a cat in the back yard prowling. One of the dogs will wander out to pee and spot them and the chase in of for the fence. Some times a great laugh. :)
I was just looking on eBay and was going to say Amazon tomorrow ilI' have to go look at what kind I got for my nephew I know he had red rider and my neice had the one smaller thst the red rider .but I got my newphew one that you have to pump like 8to10 times shoots pellet and bb I think it was a crossmen

Cross men pump master 760 like $50 depends on where you look 760b_4_4.jpg 760b_8.jpg shoots bb and 177 pellet

Bought myself one of the early models of those when a kid. Was my second air gun I paid for. Worked hard and saved. That one got me my first Crow kill. Was forever trying to sneak in close enough to get one, damn what a challenge that was. I was walking along a log one day, slipped and fell, made sure the gun did not hit the ground. After how hard I worked to buy it I protected it better than myself :)
Now days they have break action, single pump ones that are about twice the power of these pumps with one pump. They had those when I was a youngster but they were as much as a decent working car. So of course none of us had one. Now they are down to around a C note to start. The one I have toyed with buying is scary accurate at even 50 yards. runs about $175 and is a 10 shot repeater. The tech on these things is impressive now.

You mean like this GAMO BIG CAT I paid like 150 a while ago came with scope 177 pellet it shoots like 1200 fps with basic pellet but if you buy the match grade pellets shoots bout 1400 fps IMAG0307.jpg

You mean like this GAMO BIG CAT I paid like 150 a while ago came with scope 177 pellet it shoots like 1200 fps with basic pellet but if you buy the match grade pellets shoots bout 1400 fps View attachment 431580

Swarm Maxxim is what they call it. The one I will buy if I do is the .22 cal. 10 shot mag and come with one of their scopes. There is some video of guy testing it at 25 and 50 yards. Damn impressive what it can do. From a window even I could I am sure nail rats in the yard with it. The only reason I keep putting it off is the cats around keep cleaning the rats up before they start getting into the house. Not to mention I can't help but be amused when I see the dogs spot one of the cats and go full on chase mode. Since they can't catch them so no one is hurt it's funny as hell to watch.

Swarm Maxxim is what they call it. The one I will buy if I do is the .22 cal. 10 shot mag and come with one of their scopes. There is some video of guy testing it at 25 and 50 yards. Damn impressive what it can do. From a window even I could I am sure nail rats in the yard with it. The only reason I keep putting it off is the cats around keep cleaning the rats up before they start getting into the house. Not to mention I can't help but be amused when I see the dogs spot one of the cats and go full on chase mode. Since they can't catch them so no one is hurt it's funny as hell to watch.
Yep how much are they like $650 bucks lol oh yeah I was thinking of a different brand not the gamo maxim there is a pellet gun from Germany that has a similar name there like 600 dollars

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads