JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Joe, I agree with you whole heartedly. I dumped my cable two years ago and now my house streams 100%. BUT, I do read the news every night. And frankly, IMHO we are doomed. This world has gone so far off the tracks that I fear it will end in one large cloud of radioactive dust. All I can say is when it comes down to that, I want a front row seat to the show.

The divisions in this country are deep and wide, and the gas can is being poured on them daily. The upcoming break down in society will be completely unpredictable. It will no doubt start in urban areas, and how that is handled will determine how the rest of it goes.

I truly do not understand how this will all play out, but we clearly have a government at all levels that is going to attempt to disarm individuals and vilify anybody who chooses to protect themselves. This will not get any easier as time moves on with the gullibility of the millennials to blindly follow government direction.

Damn you AndyinEverson, it was ether that or the shootest. Joe13 I really feel ya buddy, I have been so pissed off the last several years, I unplugged the T.V. cable right after I got married, stopped watching, reading news, and except for this sight, do not participate in any discussions of any thing. I really hate the bubblegumry I came home to in 08 after 20 years of my life fighting for the ashes of what we now have at our feet! If the Muzzies dont kill me, the suitcase nukes don't kill me, the country doesn't tear itself apart and kill me, and the Chinese/N korian's,ruskies don't nuke us all to hell, I am sad at what we will have left to pass on to our kids! I feel ya all on this, and it has nothing to do with this sight, the mods, or JoeLink,(fantastic job keeping us all from tearing ourselves apart) its the damn world we live in, the milk and honey ran out in the 50's with the Broken Dream Utopia we were all promised and IKE to lead us! You really wanna know what makes me sick, having to try and explain this to my wife, who just became a U.S. Citizen, why are things the way they are instead of the way they were supposed to be? why haven't we done something about it, and why are we letting Obummer ruin what we have only to pass it on down the line to (insert candidate here) She has become one of the most resolute patriots I have ever met, and she just became a citizen, and is willing to stand and fight for something she never had before now, FREEDOM! I gotta get a big boy drink now fellas, I feel my head imploding!

I'm new to fire arms, and dont know much about the previous ban.

With the previous ban, were banned guns required to be turned in?

Not used? Just stored away, did they instantly became illegal to own?

I'm asking seriously, as I'm starting out in this hobby, and would be interested to know what historically happened. I'm aware that should a new ban/restrictions be put in place, rules/regs may be completely different.

Thanks!

No harm in asking any thing, New or not! The infamous AWB, basically stopped the import and sale of listed weapons as "Assault weapons" categorized with such things as detachable magazines, more then 10 ( if I remember correctly) rounds, a pistol grip, and muzzle device, as well as collapsing stock. This was a land mark anti 2nd move that got through at the last min by two senate votes. The ban didn't effect those all ready in private hands, but effectively outlawed the sale of them! If I remember correctly, these then had to be registered as NFA firearms under the BATFE. The bill did sunset, and was not taken up again, however, the anti's like Brady and bloomberg and many others would love to not only bring that back, but expand it even more! There was no confiscation, but I remember hearing of an offer for people to turn them in for some sort of credit!

No harm in asking any thing, New or not! The infamous AWB, basically stopped the import and sale of listed weapons as "Assault weapons" categorized with such things as detachable magazines, more then 10 ( if I remember correctly) rounds, a pistol grip, and muzzle device, as well as collapsing stock. This was a land mark anti 2nd move that got through at the last min by two senate votes. The ban didn't effect those all ready in private hands, but effectively outlawed the sale of them! If I remember correctly, these then had to be registered as NFA firearms under the BATFE. The bill did sunset, and was not taken up again, however, the anti's like Brady and bloomberg and many others would love to not only bring that back, but expand it even more! There was no confiscation, but I remember hearing of an offer for people to turn them in for some sort of credit!
Add barrel shroud to it, kind of comical and explained nicely in this 2012 piece Why Not Renew the "Assault Weapons" Ban? Well, I'll Tell You… (https://kontradictions.wordpress.com/2012/08/09/why-not-renew-the-assault-weapons-ban-well-ill-tell-you/)

Waddya mean all those rounds?:s0092:

After the first shot I was thrown back against a tree 20 feet behind me and I still can't hear anything but ringing in my ears even though I had ear plugs and ear muffs on.:s0002:

It's amazing that ejected piece of hot brass didn't take part of my cheek off and leave me permemantly disfigured!:eek:

I'm going back to Walmart and asking for a refund on 19 rounds of .223 because no mortal man should have that much powero_O

Dude, I may sue you and the manufacturer! The fire ball blinded me, in PDX, in my home, hidden in my safe place!
Oh! The trauma, the humanity!o_O

Wow, good factual information there.

The high capacity / low capacity shoot video is particularly telling! The one most affected is the law abiding citizen (female, perhaps less trained than a bad guy).

Dang!

It's good fun and giggles, but I just thought of the first responders at Orlando, and man that scene must have been awful. So yes when journalists complain of temporary PTSD after firing an AR at the range, that's worth of ridicule. But right now, I am still with the people in Orlando. We need to build bridges of compassion. Persuade anti-gunners that we can be there for them. We'll be their "militia".

It's good fun and giggles, but I just thought of the first responders at Orlando, and man that scene must have been awful. So yes when journalists complain of temporary PTSD after firing an AR at the range, that's worth of ridicule. But right now, I am still with the people in Orlando. We need to build bridges of compassion. Persuade anti-gunners that we can be there for them. We'll be their "militia".

Didn't mean to detract from the tragedy at all.

In fact, I wouldn't mind standing by at events with a long gun slung and open carrying a pistol if it meant we would be perceived differently but honestly I do not feel that I would be welcome after the smear campaigns going on against gun owners right now.

Until they stop making us the scape goats I don't see how any mediation or meaningful conversation can be had.

We say potatoe.

They hear broccoli and react...

by muzzle device they meant flash hider. Don't forget the dreaded bayonet lug was one of the items as well

iirc the ban read something along the lines of "any semi automatic rifle with a detachable magazine and two or more of the following features: pistol grip, colapsable/folding stock, barrel shroud, flash hider, threaded barrel, bayonet lug" - I'm sure this isn't exact and frankly I'm too lazy to look up the proper language at the moment. It also stopped manufacture of magazines that held over 10 rounds for sale to the general public. Some states also passed their own version of the AWB and made it illegal to tranfer existing "high capacity" magazines, etc.

getting back to the original track of the thread - unfortunately if it bleeds it leads and in the past few decades the bulk of media outlets have been bought up by individuals/conglomerates that side with the anti 2A agenda and spin stories accordingly instead of reporting "just the facts".
Does the media spin doctoring turn my stomach - definitely. I've taken to making a game of it and counting how many false facts they spew with any article/story.

With all the negative press ( waves , baby LOL) lately we need to remember that we are not the problem.
We haven't committed any crimes or harmed anyone.
I do like the idea of coming up with some way to show our support.
Donating funds for medical / funeral expenses.
If you lived close offers of driving families back and forth to the hospital.
Offering firearm / self defense classes.
Getting some news time of our own , saying that we do not condone violence / hate crimes / terrorist acts
against anyone.

From what I've read on here , it seems that we are all outraged at the acts of violence that are done everyday against people for whatever reason.
If we could show that we too as lawful gun owners are supportive of doing what we can to help , it might go a long way to helping everyone.
Just a few random thoughts before coffee...
Andy

With all the negative press ( waves , baby LOL) lately we need to remember that we are not the problem.
We haven't committed any crimes or harmed anyone.
I do like the idea of coming up with some way to show our support.
Donating funds for medical / funeral expenses.
If you lived close offers of driving families back and forth to the hospital.
Offering firearm / self defense classes.
Getting some news time of our own , saying that we do not condone violence / hate crimes / terrorist acts
against anyone.

From what I've read on here , it seems that we are all outraged at the acts of violence that are done everyday against people for whatever reason.
If we could show that we too as lawful gun owners are supportive of doing what we can to help , it might go a long way to helping everyone.
Just a few random thoughts before coffee...
Andy

Good thoughts.

The only issue I see in our way is that this happened literally on the absolute opposite side of the country, so anything othe ash funds (which won't be recognized most likely) I don't see any way to go about helping the victims themselves.

I think the best we can do is something locally that is fairly highly profile, but even then (at least in the metro areas) we risk the media twisting it into something it isn't.

We need a PR person that is local and not just rely on our NRA memberships.

So my wife says I'm pretty grumpy lately...:oops:

It's not even an issue of "who" was killed lately for me, it's sad either way.:( (Though I still feel like special interest groups are using this to their advantage and making gun owners out to be the problem, instead of owning up to not taking their safety into their own hands).

I feel like everywhere I turn now like the AM News, this site, YouTube and more all are revolving around this latest shooting like its the only thing in the world going on and someone new is "pushing for a gun ban" every other min.:mad:

I like to share my toys but the idea of not being able to buy a kind of gun that I can not currently afford has my undies in a bunch:confused:.

I have no idea what I intended for this thread, I just felt the need to vent about all the BS that is happening right now.

Maybe it's because I was too young to care the last time a serious gun restriction was proposed so this is my first time 'having a dog in the fight' or maybe not.

The political options are not looking good either...:eek:. (If Trump continues on this no Fly no Buy craziness then I may be voting for a 3rd party - I've let a lot of his opinions go because of his gun stance but I certainly won't cast a vote for Hillitler either).

Respond, don't respond, call me a ninny if it fits but man I may have to take a break from all forms of communication until after the elections are over if it continues like this:oops:.

Yes.....

Yep.

Getting to the point where I cannot stand to spend much time online unless it's watching a video on some aspect of fishing, bushcraft, or mind numbing comedy because everything else is just negative BS and depressing. I'm getting to the point where I just can't take anymore abuse at the hands of the government, the media, or the talking heads. I'm tired of being labelled an uncaring domestic terrorist because I believe the government should live within it's constitutional bounds, that people should be free of unnecessary and unwanted intrusion by said government into their lives, and that freedom comes with the price of the occasional terrible, bad act committed. I'm tired of being vilified because I am a 30 something white conservative male, tired of being pigeon holed and lumped in with Cleetus and the KKK because of my own ethnicity. Tired of the constant attacks and having to defend verbally my rights to exist and to enjoy the full freedoms that the founders of this once-great nation intended for ALL of us.

I stopped listening to talk radio months ago, and aside from playing catch up on some of the major political issues and news of the day once in a while to try to stay abreast of what's going on in the world, I'm just sick of things in general.

Trying to stay positive because there's some cool stuff going down for the family - we're closing on our home purchase in exactly 2 weeks from today. My wife and I have been bouncing around the idea of starting our own business in the next few months. My wife's great aunt is flying out from Colorado this summer for a visit - we haven't seen her in a couple years. Just trying to focus on the good stuff but it gets hard sometimes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top