JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How many of you all get into and out of different interests, gun types, or shooting disciplines on a regular basis?

I've noticed over the years many times people talking about "getting out of" .22 lr and selling their guns because they can't find ammo, or getting out of 45 and going to 9mm, or getting out of revolvers to consolidate calibers, etc..

I have a couple different friends who change guns and calibers more often than they change their clothes. I tend to be the opposite. I tend to be very slow about "getting into" something, and even slower at getting out. I would never sell my .22s just because I couldn't find ammo for a whole. I quit hunting over 20 years ago, but still have my hunting rifles, can't seem to part with them. I tend to take a long time to buy something that interests me, then never sell it even when I don't use it anymore.

Then again I tend to find old guns interesting for what they are, even more so than what they do, so it doesn't bother me to have something that I rarely use. I understand that to many, the gun is simply a tool, an accessory of the game. When you no longer play the game, get rid of the tool. Why would you hang onto golf clubs if you no longer golfed, or scuba gear if you gave up diving?

Just some musings on how we all do and see things a little differently... :)

Rarely changed interests in my life but the intensity of interest has certainly varied.

Probably the most variable is reading material: if I get interested in a topic then I'll read a lot on that topic until my curiosity is satisfied.

Ebb and flow, wax and wane.
Not everyone likes to clutter up their safe with relics they don't use anymore.

I say buy a bigger safe.

I like tinkering with stuff to see what makes it work. Once I am satisfied it is up to it's potential if I don't really have a need for it, down the road it goes. For example, I got caught up in the 9mm AR pistol craze, built several and shot them a fair amount getting them running well. They were fun, but guess what? I really did not have a pressing need for them, so down the road they went. Some things stick and stay though.

I literally have nothing that I have never shot. Period. Not really a chore for me, since I have to go to so much trouble to be allowed to have ANYTHING at all that you can be sure that MY interests NEVER vary.

It hasn't happened to me, but it HAS happened that people here who don't show evidence of having used their guns for a while are having them taken from them by having their Firearms certificate revoked from 'lack of use'.

No FAC = no guns.

The 'takers' are the county police force, under whose auspices the Firearms Certificate is issued, signed by the county Chief Constable, sort of like your county sheriff.

Y'see, in happier times, you arrove at the gun club and booked in the attendance register - a document open for checking by the police authorities.

Then, you opened up the shooting register to your page, which lists ALL your guns on it - in my case, 1 through 18, by type and serial number - and logged the guns that you intended to shoot that day. This again is a document open for checking by the police authorities.

So the police authority knows -

1. How often you go to the gun club, and -

2. What you shoot when you are there.

Just not the number of rounds you have fired.

When I find something new and interesting (currently that is 1911 stuff) I have to remember to rein myself in so I don't get carried away. There is a direct proportion between being carried away and capital outflow.:p

dammit-jim-its-a-hobby-not-an-enterprise-dr-mccoy-53980216.png

the intensity of interest has certainly varied.

For me, this. I've had a few bubbles where my holdings expanded, then later retracted again. Era of greatest contraction: When all three of my children were little in the 1980's.

I've now re-purchased enough firearms that I am much more careful about what I sell,

I've done this several times. Usually to find that the second time around wasn't as satisfying as I'd thought it would be. When they went away the second time, it was truly an end to that particular fascination.

I'm along in age now, and my realization that the end is closer than the beginning is strong. I'm letting things go out of my life now, not adding much of anything in the way of amusement objects.

I remember when a bunch of men on SEVERAL other forums said that they were getting OUT of ALL of their RF firearms from A to Z due to the 'fake/real' shortages especially AFTER the CT murders in the news, due to NOT finding any RF ammunition in the stores and online and/or due to the COST of RF ammunition even though THEY had 'tons' of RF ammunition in their personal stock at home.

Those men sold ALL of their RF firearms and ALL of their RF ammunition. They made a good profit. Some of them said that they NEVER regretted selling any RF firearm too. Some of those men reloaded for a LONG time and some of them ONLY bought factory ammunition.

There are some people that do NOT like RF firearms at all or hardly like them or they just do not shoot them enough any longer because they LIKE, love and enjoy OTHER calibers more than ANY RF firearm 1,000 times more! More power to them too. Personal choice and it is none of my business.

To each their own!

One man went only to SHOTGUNS in 2 to 3 calibers too. SWEET shotguns and a couple of them were ones that I had looked at in person and online. Beautiful ones for sure! (Back east, in some specific states, shotguns are almost the NUMBER ONE most popular firearm too.)

I CAN understand some people getting out of some types of firearms (Or ANY other thing or OBJECT not only GUNS.) due to physical reasons - disabilities, old age, lack of interest - ebb and flow of PERSONAL interests, hobbies, LIFE changes, moving to another state, building a much smaller place, retirement, change of tastes like in ANY other subject matter, NO children to pass them on to, no LIVING relatives or only having elderly relatives, etc. My older brother and older sister are sickly. I never had children with my late husband.

I have already legally GIFTED some specific firearms to other SPECIAL people who LIKE guns and shooting NOT only to my MT husband and he has done the same thing too. We are senior citizens. Gifts were already made to our range to TEACH people how to shoot too.

If I get to a place where I will not shoot my one and only 22lr rifle or my one and only 22wmr rifle any LONGER... they will be given to my MT husband.

He can KEEP THEM or SELL THEM or GIFT THEM. I only own 2 rifles (Two firearms only.) now at my age (70!) on purpose. My decision. NO person decided this for me. I do NOT regret buying, shooting or carrying ANY RF or CF firearm that I had in my life. I do NOT regret selling AND gifting any former firearm or knife as I aged or when my physical issues got worse.

I do NOT regret selling, gifting or donating any thing or object including a former HUGE, beloved book collection and many nice and beautiful things that I enjoyed in my life on the East Coast, in farm/lake country (Great Lakes region with my late husband for over 30 years.) or out west here.

I figure that if you are aging or have some physical issues that are getting worse or IF you just DECIDE that you LIKE something else more when it comes to your own firearms (Or any other thing!) - it is NO one's business what you decide to do with them. YOU paid for them in full when you bought them NIB, you kept them up, and it is an individual decision what YOU choose to do with your own personal property.

My MT husband who has consolidated his own calibers and downsized right before and a bit after his retirement has NO regrets in his decisions either. Sales and gifts. And this is a man who was a much higher volume shooter than me and I was a HIGH volume shooter. Some decisions in handguns were made due to some of HIS hand issues, NOT as bad as mine were/are, he was no longer competing and he favored some other firearms as he AGED too. He does not regret gifting/selling some factory ammunition, reloading components and specific dies since he got out of specific calibers. And he has reloaded since the early 70's and he still reloads only for far LESS calibers. Plus he is still shooting 5 days a week even when it is bitter cold out and he is shooting some RF rifles more. Although, he has been shooting his one and only 45-70 and one and only 30-30 rifles on and off too. He shoots his 3 handguns far less. Two 45acp pistols and one 22lr pistol.

I believe that when it comes to firearms or any other THING in life... ownership and using something on a regular basis is a totally individual matter. IF something does not get used in life, if it gets rediscovered and tried all over again and not loved/liked as much or if you choose to TRY something else for any other reason especially for a age/physical issue... go for it. You paid for it and you get to decide what you choose to do with it.

If I don't USE something as much as I used to in the past or if I can't physically use it well - it gets passed on as a gift, sale or donation.

No regrets here!

I do not own 'safe queens' and I am NOT knocking people who do own them when I say this.

Your mileage may vary. NO problem.

Old Lady Cate
PS: There are many senior citizens who already FOUND OUT or are finding out NOW that their PERSONAL STUFF including beautiful guns, knives, quality - top brand AND handcrafted furniture kept in BEAUTIFUL condition, paintings, other sweet household things, quality made - top name TOOLS and STUFF IN GENERAL does not INTEREST their relatives or children IF they have any children. This may or may NOT come as a shock to some older folks. In fact, some MEN are finding out that their own children or ex wife or wife turned out to be ANTI gunners or some SJW freak who consider their STUFF especially gun related stuff to be verboten. Uh huh. Sad state of affairs when their own children or their wife who may now be their EX wife for various reasons turned out to be ONE of those types of people. Or their kids turned out to be an ANTI hunter and could not understand 'conservation' or ethical hunting laws and principles.

Last Edited:
Regardless of what it is, I've made a point to keep what I use. It's way too easy to keep a little of everything and end up with a lot that has no use and many times minimal value. Anyone ever moved after living in one place for 10-20 years?

I've been lucky and 99% of all items I've sold or gifted were meant to go away. No regrets.
It also freed up a ton of space along the way making room for new items and easier to find existing items.

I have sold and traded many a firearm.
Some were sold because I needed the money , others sold or traded for a firearm that caught my attention or to give a friend a chance to own a firearm that they admired.

As far as a focus or into / out of something , yeah I can understand that.
At one time I collected WW I and WW II firearms , collecting and shooting those were very fulfilling.
But....

I really wanted to get back to my first love and since my last name is not Rockefeller or Gates , I sold most of them to get my antique muzzle loading firearms .
Do I regret selling....?
No , I do at times miss some of those guns that I sold or traded....But to "miss" something to the point of not enjoying what you have now , is not good either.
So I enjoy what I have , remember fondly those that I had , and share what knowledge I gained from both.
Andy

@gmerkt , rediscovery is a beautiful experience. Well said, sir.

While I am diagnosed as "ADD off the scale," and do exhibit shiny bubbles syndrome daily, calibers, disciplines and equipment are all a part of the accumulation of skill and knowledge. Rediscovery is key.

Sad state of affairs when their own children or their wife who may now be their EX wife for various reasons turned out to be ONE of those types of people. Or their kids turned out to be an ANTI hunter and could not understand 'conservation' or ethical hunting laws and principles.
ironic fate twists. I enjoy the irony when the Anti discovers that they "need" a gun, that it's prudent to own one, and that they cannot find/get/buy one.

I have reached that blessed state of having what I need, so there's no need to get rid of anything to convert it to $ value. (Insert boating accident here). Before the boating accident I bought guns that I lusted after. My love hasn't faded.

My life is not static, there are ebbs and flows, ups and downs. Sometimes outside forces like loss or gain of jobs causes the changes other times it's me being attracted to something shiney only to find that whatever was cool enough but not something I wanted to add into my already full life.

I literally have nothing that I have never shot. Period. Not really a chore for me, since I have to go to so much trouble to be allowed to have ANYTHING at all that you can be sure that MY interests NEVER vary.

It hasn't happened to me, but it HAS happened that people here who don't show evidence of having used their guns for a while are having them taken from them by having their Firearms certificate revoked from 'lack of use'.

No FAC = no guns.

The 'takers' are the county police force, under whose auspices the Firearms Certificate is issued, signed by the county Chief Constable, sort of like your county sheriff.

Y'see, in happier times, you arrove at the gun club and booked in the attendance register - a document open for checking by the police authorities.

Then, you opened up the shooting register to your page, which lists ALL your guns on it - in my case, 1 through 18, by type and serial number - and logged the guns that you intended to shoot that day. This again is a document open for checking by the police authorities.

So the police authority knows -

1. How often you go to the gun club, and -

2. What you shoot when you are there.

Just not the number of rounds you have fired.

Remember when Orwell used to be fiction?

Condolences, tac! :(

Before this sb941 bubblegum show came to be, part of the fun of gun ownership for me was horse trading. Now I hate selling guns and just about avoid it at all costs. Because of that I tried to consolidate calibers a smidge. I used to love .22mag, but prices went high, then availability went away in 2012 and I got out of the caliber.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top