JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
First off: Two Books

1) Eat Meat and Stop Jogging http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Meat-And-Stop-Jogging/dp/0993745547
2) Fitness Confidential http://www.amazon.com/Fitness-Confi...d=1445004324&sr=1-1&keywords=vinnie+tortorich

Changed my whole outlook on nutrition and fitness. Followed the program starting about 5 months ago. Immediately went from 211 to 192. Put back on about 6 pounds of muscle, but my pants keep fitting better. Start getting "as Paleo as possible" with your diet.

Second: Functional fitness. Kettle-bells, sandbags, cross-fit(ish) style activities. Makes you strong and burns fat. Makes you burn more fat when you are done because you have more muscle to burn that fat.

Tim Kennedy said it best-- "Every time you train, train with the motivation and purpose that you will be the hardest person someone ever tries to kill." - Tim Kennedy

Fit people are harder to kill. :mad:

Same here with the bad back, I have found that a lot of stretching helps to some degree & lessens the dependency on pain meds.

I have a crap back to.
Three neck surgeries and I need more in my mid and lower back. But won't.
All my lower back can take is walking. So it's 4-5 miles a day to keep thin. And keep the lower body working.

My upper body can handle some weight lifting. So I do that three times a week.
Really it's more like advanced PT. This extra muscle helps hold my sorry neck and spine together.
And as long as I keep up the exercise. My pain level is good. And life is pretty normal.

At 48 I'm really in a use it or loose it situation.;)
But I feel I'm doing OK. No Dr.'s or pain meds in a couple of years now.

You can really help your lower back issues by keeping up your abdominal "core strength". An easy way to do that without stressing your lower back with sit-ups is when your just sitting, just flex (contract) your stomach muscles and hold for 10-15 seconds, do reps until your "comfortably fatigued".

"Core strength" is essential to supporting your spine, because as we get older we tend to neglect the abs and overuse the back muscles... not good.

Lots to getting old yet we have to know what we are capable of. Simple test every day to see where you are at. Bend over and tie your shoes will tell you your fexability:D. If you have gone to slip on shoes then I bet you can't tie your own shoes while they are on your feet...o_O:D:D

Lots to getting old yet we have to know what we are capable of. Simple test every day to see where you are at. Bend over and tie your shoes will tell you your fexability:D. If you have gone to slip on shoes then I bet you can't tie your own shoes while they are on your feet...o_O:D:D

That's why I like walking so much.
There are days when I cant bend over ant tie my shoes. Or do much of anything!

But I can still walk for an hour.
And my heart, lungs and endocrine system benefits. Got to keep all the juices flowing. Even when the body feels stove up.o_O

That's why I like walking so much.
There are days when I cant bend over ant tie my shoes. Or do much of anything!

But I can still walk for an hour.
And my heart, lungs and endocrine system benefits. Got to keep all the juices flowing. Even when the body feels stove up.o_O

I walk every day yet not so much now that my partner sam is getting old. I just can't leave him home but he just can't do the long walks now. To me eating good food is just as important as exercise, our fuel is what makes us run well.

I'm with the OP, if I could follow my own advice/knowledge then I'd be rich and in great shape;)

For me, being responsible to someone else is easier to keep consistent then to myself for some reason.

Ie I have to be somewhere to meet Fred to go walking and don't want to keep him waiting, so I'd be there 5 min early stretching instead of blowing off the workout for the day because my to do list is too long.

I walk every day yet not so much now that my partner sam is getting old. I just can't leave him home but he just can't do the long walks now. To me eating good food is just as important as exercise, our fuel is what makes us run well.

Food, exercise, and don't forget enough quality sleep. You need it to heal and grow muscle.

And I understand about not leaving the partner[Dog] out of your activity.
Me and mine are always together.:D

He's so demanding!

Food, exercise, and don't forget enough quality sleep. You need it to heal and grow muscle.

And I understand about not leaving the partner[Dog] out of your activity.
Me and mine are always together.:D

He's so demanding!

Yep he is slowing down and it hurts him on the long walks, but he is a good boy and I can't leave him home. Dogs are family..

I may put mine in a buggy and take him that way. I see people on my walks doing this.
It depends if my Dog lives to be that old?

The Dog's I see in buggies can't pee everything up. But they seam to enjoy the fresh air.:)

In any case. If I stop walking I die.
It's the simple thing that my simple life pivots on. :D

What's your schedule like Norm? what days / times would you be looking to run? I need to get back on it again, I've gained a good amount since I got out as well and quitting chewing is proving very hard and counteractive to losing weight. I'm in the Aloha area.
PM'd.

Maybe we need to start an NWFA weekly jog? I'm thinking seriously about getting a membership/pass to the Aloha Pool by Aloha High. Swimming is awesome cardio. Granted for a while I'll look like a polar bear, but I've always been a good swimmer.

Dude we are
PM'd.

Maybe we need to start an NWFA weekly jog? I'm thinking seriously about getting a membership/pass to the Aloha Pool by Aloha High. Swimming is awesome cardio. Granted for a while I'll look like a polar bear, but I've always been a good swimmer.

Right there with you man, I was in a boat company in the Corps, I am at home in the water myself. Also right there with you on the polar bear issue. I'll PM you tonight, I need to sleep I'm on a graveyard rotation right now.

PS didn't get the PM

I'm currently at that unfortunate age, when it might be quicker and easier to become taller than to loose a few pounds:s0054:. Fortunately I'm already IN shape, have been all my life.....that shape being round.;)
I can honestly say, that I'm still wearing the same size (socks) that I wore in college.

Although, lately I've noticed that I must be absorbing a lot of excess calories just seeing food on TV .... because whenever I turn it off for a few days to do something else :s0071:, a couple of pounds will drop off!

Whoda thunk it?:s0001:

Last Edited:
I'm currently at that unfortunate age, when it might be quicker and easier to become taller than to loose a few pounds:s0054:. Fortunately I'm already IN shape, have been all my life.....that shape being round.;)
I can honestly say, that I'm still wearing the same size socks that I wore in college.

Although, lately I've noticed that I must be absorbing a lot of excess calories just seeing food on TV .... because whenever I turn it off for a few days to do something else :s0071:, a couple of pounds will drop off!

Whoda thunk it?:s0001:
Get the T med, it's the ticket. Cause if you still look like sheeet, you won't care cause your more in the zone with being a man. Hard to explain.

Get the T med, it's the ticket. Cause if you still look like sheeet, you won't care cause your more in the zone with being a man. Hard to explain.

A quick fix. But not the best for you.

If I can come back from 157lbs. To 192lbs. Even after cancer [Effectively cutting my testosterone in half] synthetic testosterone wasn't needed.

You guys that just need to loose fat have it easy!Try to put on 35lbs of muscle?
What is needed is the hard fix. Exercise, diet, and rest.

Simple. Not easy. :s0002:

Last Edited:
A quick fix. But not the best for you.

If I can come back from 157lbs. To 192lbs. Even after loosing a nut to cancer [Effectively cutting my testosterone in half] then synthetic testosterone isn't needed.

You guys that just need to loose fat have it easy!Try to put on 35lbs of muscle?
What is needed is the hard fix. Exercise, died, and rest.

Simple. Not easy. :s0002:

So here is a before and after for you.

You mean the muscle goes on your arms?:eek:

Jogging sucks. Its the fastest way to emasculate a male. Unless you're a marathon runner , there is no point.
Throw on a heavy ruck and trek a couple miles instead.
Now, sprints are effective fat burners and build fast twitch fiber and solid muscle.
4 Minutes of push ups a day. Get as many as you can. Improve as needed.
Chin ups. each set to max reps or you fall off the bar.
Dead lifts.
You should be lifting hard enough and fast enough to get your heart pounding , and that is effective "cardio".
But jogging is stupid.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top