Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

getting home

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Mark W., Jan 27, 2012.

1. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

OK so in my Plans are attempting to get home when I am at work or away from home for some reason when the need to get home and hunker down happens.

In the planning I tend to go more towards the Natural Disaster then the Goverment is going to lock me up and march me off to the retrain camp and ovens thing.

The big problem is I have no idea where I might have to start that journey home from. I drive a dump truck for a Paving company and we routinely work from Eugene to Portland and the top of Santiam pass to almost the coast. A pretty big area.

So since I can really route plan from the starting point. I am working on the idea that I should start at the end point.

With this in mind my biggest challenges will be the fact I am surrounded on 3 sides but rivers or creeks that much of the year carry enough water and are wide enough to be a PITA to cross.

Today while looking at Google maps in the Satelite view I noticed 3 places along one of the rivers that had huge debrie and log jams. While I know the image I am looking at is over 2 years old. I also know that these same spots (all real close to each other) are very likely to continue to be choke points for junk along the slow moving mud bottom pudding river. SO I have made not of this and should I end up coming towards home from that direction and the bridge be not passible. I would have another option for crossing the river hopefully without getting completely soaked (which in itself can be life treatening)

So my suggestion is that you carefully get a birds eye view of your exit or entrance routes. You might find something that can be of help. or something you should avoid.

2. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

A remarkable task to complete sir especialy when you must carry what you need in the truck. Plus you may not know what the weather conditions will be. I am in the same boat as I work for a paving company too. Getting home safe would be a real task.

jj

3. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

So this begs the question. For those people who travel a high percentage of the year, how do you plan for these type of events? Does simply come down to knowing your exit strategy for every city you visit? Having the funds to drop quickly to leave? Figuring out how to carry some supplies with you at all times? Or just accepting that you are up a creek when you are on the road? What about if you travel across the states, or to other countries a lot?

Ideas, thoughts?

4. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

First rule of road work is pack a BIG lunch. I have alot of stuff I may need should the wheels quit rolling for whatever reason. Enough for a few days if I conserve it. I would hope to find a bicycle to ride toward home but if all else fails I have my lamberfeeties.

jj

5. trainwreck

trainwreck salem Member

i have the same problem with my job. I am on call 24/7 to go anywhere in Oregon Washington Idaho or northern California. So im not sure how to plan for a need to get home situation. Most of the time i am in the same pickup every day so having a bag with me is no problem at all, but sometimes we fly to work.

6. lowly monk

lowly monk Beaverton, Oregon. Just a guy. Bronze Supporter

Hey Mark, This topic seems familiar. As you know; If necessary you will find the way home. What ever is takes. Be prepared and survive.

7. Mark W.

A big part of my problem is that while I can and do have a small bag in the truck with me. Unless I want to run the risk of loosing my job. I can't have a firearm. I do carry a fairly scary knife and as a guy who spent 14 years as a Full time Custom Knifemaker I KNOW how to use it. Thats just not the same.

My strategy is depending on where I start from. Hopefully the Dump truck will get me close. Needless to say the truck will traverse a number of obsticles most autos and even most 2wd pickups can't. But of course a bridge out is a bridge out. I will first try to make it back to the yard I park my pickup in at which point I will be better equipped. But still without a firearm (though this choice could change should there be some convincing lead up to the event.

For the most part I have a VERY good knowledge of this part of Oregon. 5 years driving school buses in 7 different school districts and hundreds of sports trips and 5 years of home delieverys from Corvallis to Newberg and Colton to Spirit Mountian as well as now 8 years of driving Dump truck in the same area. And I life where I was born so 54 years of just being around here helps.

I have no doubt that I could have a long walk home from somewhere. So the bag I am putting together will be as light as possible and setup for 3 lean days. I'll plan on finding most my water and not bothering to eat to much. My work boots make decent hiking boots and I typically keep a spare jacket in the truck in case the one I wear gets wet.

And I never go anywhere without a towel.

8. branchbuster

branchbuster Albany Active Member

I travel to work also, and I too have come to the reality the I may have a very long walk home. I keep light rain gear and a few extra clothes as well as compact food and a couple water bottles with me. A determined person in fair shape can cover 20 to 30 miles in a day. And if things are really bad, walking may the fastest way.

9. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I think this is your key right here.You will probably know before you leave work that something has gone aery.You will know that the work day may be short and loosing your job won't be as important as loosing your life and getting home to the family.

If something global is going to go down,or even something local and natural,we will usually have a day or so notice.There is news of seismic activity,you know there is too much rain and flooding is on the way.
    Yes there was the tsunami that took everyone by surprise. They didn't have our coastal warning system.
    Yes things can come down very fast,but if we are watching the news and keeping up to date,we should have some warning so we can be a little more prepared when big events will change our work day.

10. knuckle Head

knuckle Head southeast Well-Known Member

I am going to chime in here, I travel a little for work, it is usually by plane a days drive or two from home, it is not often but it happens, when I wear jeans, teenis shoes, t-shirt, shirt and some kind of a jacket. I have thought about this a lot, I figured I will be in full survival mode and and after the rental vehicle runs out of fuel hopefully I will be able to get some somehow.

When I am in town I am usually in my pickup which has everything I need to get home the heck out of town,

For you guys, I suggest the following and it is what i carry carry in my day pack or small backpack for hiking, that is

Get home bag is also my day pack for hiking
    Item Price Qty Total
    Backpack $20.00 1 $25.00 U.S. Spec Cactus Jack Backpack, Army Digital, Mil Backpacks / Bags, Brand Not Specified at Sportsman's Guide
    T-Shirt L-Sleeve polypro $10.00 1 $10.00 Cabela's: Military Spec Long-Sleeve Tee Shirts
    T-Shirt S-Sleeve Polypro $8.00 1 $8.00 Cabela's: Military Spec Tee Shirts
    Sock Smart Wool $16.00 2 $32.00 Buy on Sale SmartWool Hiking Socks at REI.com
    Toot Paste $1.00 1 $1.00 Ultra Bright 6 oz. from dollar store
    Tooth Brush $1.50 1 $1.50 For Wlagreen Firm brissel
    Wool Cap $1.00 1 $1.00 Winter clearance Walmart Store
    Gloves $4.00 1 $4.00 Winter clearance Walmt Storer
    Rain Jacket Goretex $30.00 1 $30.00 German Mil. Gore-Tex Jacket, Fleck Camo, Military Surplus, Brand Not Specified at Sportsman's Guide
    Poncho $10.00 1 $10.00 2 Military - Style Ponchos, Abu Camo, Military Clothing, Military-Style, Military Style Ponchos Rain Gear Waterproof Windproof Ripstop Nylon Metal Snaps Grommets Abu Camo at Sportsman's Guide
    Datrex 2400 $4.20 1 $4.20 Datrex Emergency Food Rations Bars, 10,000 Kj. 2400 Kcal Per Package
    Lighters Calico 5pk $1.50 1 $1.50 Broken down between 2 bags
    Candles 6pk $1.00 1 $1.00 Bought at dollar store
    Water 20 oz Bottle $0.17 4 $0.68 Bought 24/20 oz pak walmart 6 in duffle bag, 4 in backpack
    First Aid basic $10.00 1 $10.00 I bought anti biotic cream, bans aids, and basics put them in ziplocs, one in each bag
    Toilet Paper $0.50 1 $0.50 Bought Multi-pack, put a coupld of individual roll in ziplocks bags
    Hand sanitizer $1.00 1 $1.00 two in each bag
    baby wipes $2.00 1 $2.00 One pack in each bag,
    Pocket Knife $1.50 1 $1.50 Got a couple cheap pocket knives at Wlamart in Sporting goods

$144.88

11. knuckle Head

knuckle Head southeast Well-Known Member

Of course you can use cheaper items bought at walmart camping like a $2.00 poncho or whatever but if you have to use if for a few days or nights they may not last, and you may real cold or wet, just my .000005 cents worth (had to figure current true value of 2 cents.)

12. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

You forgot the Glock.... ;)

13. Mark W.

Yes on purpose LOL

if I were to add a firearm to my get home bag it would either be my M1 Carbine with 5) 15 rd mags and a bandoleer of 10) 10rd stripper clips Its small very light has a killing range exceeding 200 yards and is very fast in close quarters being approx. the same length as an AR-15 with a 16" barrel and the same pull. Or I would if the firearm had to kept out of sight until needed (like at work) use either my Astra A-90 with 5 mags (85rds of 9mm) + a box of 50. Or if I wanted to go very concealed I would carry my Charter Arms Undercover revolver with 5spd loaders and a box of 50.