Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Getting a Delay with a private transaction via FFL with I594

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by IronMonster, Oct 10, 2015.

1. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

So in Washington with I594 has anyone got a delay doing a private transfer? How did it go down?

I have avoided private transactions since it came into effect opting just to buy new. Out of the 12 or so transactions in the last year only one was not delayed and one was even denied which I had to appeal to get overturned and resolved. (Took 6 months and several thousand dollars with my attorney to complete the purchase of a $250 .22)

Its pretty much a given that I am not walking out of the store with a firearm when I fill out a 4473 even though I have both a Washington CPL and a Oregon CHL It seems like a real hassle knowing it will most likely take three days to get an answer from NCIC.

Just curious what others experiences are.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  2. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Sounds like you need to apply for a Unique Identification Number to clear up THAT issue... they'll issue you one, you know. ;)

dietrich, bnsaibum and mjbskwim like this.
  3. IronMonster

This last go around with the FBI has been a mess.

I applied for a UIPN like last February, got the deny like in March and sent in the appeal. The original letter from back from the FBI denied both my UIPN application and my appeal. Its at that point that I hired the lawyer. It took quite a while just to get in touch with someone at the FBI and eventually I got them to reverse the deny. When my lawyer ask the FBI about my UIPN they told her that I should not need it now, that the flag had been removed from my file.

Thats all well and good, but total BS

Last Wednesday I went in to pick up the PSA barreled receiver I ordered and got a delay. I got the email today that the proceed came through but obviously there is still something that is an issue. Right after getting the delay on Wednesday I called my local PD and set up yet another appointment to get the fingerprints for the second UPIN application. I have been told by several folks that even with a UPIN you can and will still get delays.

4. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Yeah there is a bad guy that's close enough to you or your personal info that you probably should just get one of those
    Maybe his name is just Iron Munster? but close enough:D

clearconscience likes this.
  5. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Do you buy a lot? Could they be flagging you for having a lot of purchases? Thinking your a straw buyer?

Either way it's a joke. They wanted this universal BGC so they can slow down buying, create road blocks, and make sure they have a registration for all your guns.

Oathkeeper1775, Slobray and Dyjital like this.
  6. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

Just wondering? Do you use your SSN when filling out the gun purchase form?
    I never have. And have never been delayed.

And I have bought more than a couple guns.;)

7. IronMonster

I always put my SSN

8. IronMonster

By most people's standards I probably buy a lot, I probably had 12-15 FFL transactions in the last year

5 of those were NFA items though

9. broncman

broncman E. of Portland yet to close! Quality Control!

So do I but if it takes longer than 15 minutes I start to wonder what is going on. Heck with the new computer input usually comes back instantly approved right after they hit enter.

10. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Numbers don't seem to matter. We had a couple guys that were in the 'Gun a month club' and a few that were "gun a week club". Didn't seem to matter.Some would et a quick response and a lot of guys the bought maybe 2 guns a year at a shop would get delayed.
    One guy bough a gun every 2 months,maybe 8 guns a year and was delayed every time.
    He just filled the paper work out and said "see ya in a few days". He never cared really
    Some had PINs and still waited.It's the government,what would you expect?

edslhead likes this.
  11. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

The only time I wasn't delayed in my last 15 or so purchases , was when I went in 3 days early to do the check, go figure.
    As to the original question, I'd be curious too.

12. mnguyenpdx

mnguyenpdx Hillsboro Member

What's the longest delay you guys have experienced?

13. edslhead

Most was 5 days on a handgun. Usually its a day.

14. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Here's my gripe of the day.
    I bought a used 12' aluminum boat at an estate sale in June, sent in my $72.00 for title and tags and still haven't received the title/tags from the Oregon Marine Board.
    I called them the other day, and they blamed the new computer system they spent millions on over a year ago.
    They said they would issue me a piece of paper to prove that I own it.
    I don't want a piece of paper, I wanted to tag it and resell for a small profit when folks were still buying boats for summer use. Good luck selling a boat in the winter.

15. mnguyenpdx

mnguyenpdx Hillsboro Member

is there a "3 day" delay law if no response from nics for the delay in 3 days the firearm can be picked up from FFL in WA?

mjbskwim likes this.
  16. bnsaibum

bnsaibum Corvallis, OR Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

Never use my ssn and as of yet I've never been delayed. I don't have a common name.

Medic! likes this.
  17. TOVO

TOVO SW WA. Active Member

Seems like you need to get your FFL. You think you buy a lot of guns now.

18. Artilleryman

Artilleryman Originally from the central midwest but have reloc Active Member

I'm waiting on a delay now for an AR lower at a shop in Portland, and have been since September..they said to expect up until November first to get a decision...wtf?...But I've been hit the with delays about 50% of the time, and my purchases have been erratic- sometimes several in a short period, then none for quite awhile. I've heard various possible reasons such as some dirtbag out there with similar name or close SSN or something..also been told that previous .gov clearances (secret / top secret) can be an 'occasional' issue...not sure what the real story is but it is aggravating

19. edslhead

I 'm not sure on that , ya might want to look up the actual law on it.

20. bnsaibum

bnsaibum Corvallis, OR Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

I learned something just now. I knew of the 3 day Federal delay rule when dealing with NICS, but I didn't know that it apparently means 3 full business, non-holiday, days. Not 24 hour cycles. Full days between the time of delay response to the time of federally legal transfer. I don't know about WA, but Oregon FFLs do not deal directly with NICS and must go through the State Police.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/federal-firearms-licensees/a-nics-delay