JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Like the recent "candy" tax in WA state... I believe if the "candy" contains wheat, it's exempt from the tax. Not that I support the tax at all, but Twix and KitKat don't stop being candy because of the crunchy cookie center.

Got to love politics.

May not help you guys that much (shipping can kill). But there's an outfit local to me (and to most of utah) that provides some good prices on bulk grains and foods:

Wholesale Ingredients to the Food Service Industry, Honeyville Food Products. Premium Corn, Flour, Whole Grains, Sugar and more.

I highly recommend them. I picked up a seed sprouter and 30lbs of mung beans (to make bean sprouts) for like $30. The dehydrated beef is excellent. My mom is always cooking it in her solar oven into stews and the like.

I heard on NPR (I only listen so I know what the other side is up to:D) yesterday that wheat prices in some places are up by over 70% because Russia's on fire.

For those of you interested in buying bulk and who live in the northwest I'd recommend Azure Standard. My wife and I have been get bulk food deliveries from them on a monthly basis for the past few years. We have four kids so we go through a lot of food. They have delivery trucks that cover six or seven states at this point. Great company to work with. They are based out of Dufur, Oregon (south of the Dalles I believe).

Also the LDS Drypack is a good option if you live in the Portland Area. You can walk in Tuesdays and Thursdays and can your own Red/White Weat, rice, beans, oats, etc. Prices are reasonable too ($2.70 for a $10can of wheat).

I don't know why everyone is so adamant about wheat in their storage. Whilst having bread and what not is nice, I can tell you that rice is the better way to go. why do you think nearly half of the world consumes rice instead of wheat? I don't know how many make their own bread, but its a crap load of work and takes a lot of energy to bake and time and ingredients to prepare. Rice on the other hand is just add a bit of water, boil and eat. I am not saying that having wheat is bad, its just that I think too many people rely on it too much. When it comes down to it rice is definitely the way to go. But like its been said, buy it cheap, stack it deep and diversify.

I don't know why everyone is so adamant about wheat in their storage. Whilst having bread and what not is nice, I can tell you that rice is the better way to go. why do you think nearly half of the world consumes rice instead of wheat? I don't know how many make their own bread, but its a crap load of work and takes a lot of energy to bake and time and ingredients to prepare. Rice on the other hand is just add a bit of water, boil and eat. I am not saying that having wheat is bad, its just that I think too many people rely on it too much. When it comes down to it rice is definitely the way to go. But like its been said, buy it cheap, stack it deep and diversify.

I would say you should have a good supply of wheat, rice, barley, corn, beans, etc. Variety is key, but Wheat is what we eat most of in this country, and it's the hot topic right now since Russia isn't exporting it anymore.

Wheat is traded as futures, betting the price at harvest.

Right now we can get only about $5 per bushel for either hard red winter or spring wheat. That's not all that bad for the consumer or the farmer.

A couple of years ago it spiked at well over $10, and has been as low as $3.50 since.

A bushel of wheat weighs about 60 pounds and is approximately 12 gallons. In other words you can fill about 2 1/2 5 gallon buckets with a bushel.

Sourdough bread is quick and simple. That's why the old timers made it - even the mountain men and the wagon train people. Salt, flour, sourdough starter, then rise and shape and bake even on a rock by a campfire.

You can also eat wheat (wheat berries) whole. Just soak them in water for 12 hours, boil them until tender, and you have a good if a bit chewy cereal. If you have some salt and sugar, so much the better.

Sourdough bread is quick and simple. That's why the old timers made it - even the mountain men and the wagon train people. Salt, flour, sourdough starter, then rise and shape and bake even on a rock by a campfire.

You can also eat wheat (wheat berries) whole. Just soak them in water for 12 hours, boil them until tender, and you have a good if a bit chewy cereal. If you have some salt and sugar, so much the better.

Good posts Gunner. My wife and I (my wife really) cook that way. We do traditional sourdough bread with the starter and all. You can completely control how sour it is by how long you soak it before baking. Ours generally doesn't have any sour taste to it. We also soak our own grains, bean and legumes for the health benefits also. It is far cheaper than buying bread from the store or canned food not to mention it's actually healthy for you.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top