JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think a lot of us did dumb stuff while we were coming of age. A buddy and I played with salt peter and sugar.....Shouda' seen the guys face when he opened the door to 4' high white flame coming from a peanut can there on his porch at 10:00 at night! That kind of schtick is natures way of keeping the smart[er] one around and eliminating some of the ones that aren't smart, and shouldn't breed. Out society has morphed over the last 50 years into a society the protects and feeds ALL people.....even those that probably shouldn't breed.

Mike

<crocodile Dundee voice on> That's not a crater. This is a crater.</crocodile Dundee voice off>

6156200745_f2c85434fb_z.jpg

Just in case you fell out of a window recently and hit your head about a thousand times on your way down you really should consider removing the first 2 lines of your confession of 42 minutes ago. You should stop drinking Red Bull too.

"Many years ago" You could buy dynamite and blasting caps at the local hardware store. Purchase
firearms through the mail. See shotguns/rifles in racks in pickups---in the local High School parking
lot. Buy 22 shells if you had money and were tall enough to see over the counter. You could
see kids riding bicycles down the road with a 22 rifle. And yes---- you could probably go out back
and mess around with some home-made bombs without bringing out the SWAT team and ATF.
Now we have laws that control darned near EVERYTHING, all for our own safety.

So how's that working???? Everybody feel safer than they did 40 years ago? I don't. My biggest
fear is not of criminals or terrorists---by biggest fear is that I will accidentally commit a crime
by breaking some law that was put in place "for my own protection".

The Feds just love to get people to incriminate themselves so they can have a long drawn out court case and ream someone out then slap them in a max security joint for as long as they can like when Clinton and Janet BBQ Reno were running the show.
I was just looking out for someone I don't know. Trying to warn them to retract something. Hells bells some sites these days with heavy moderation wouldn't allow someone to post that without either modifying it or just deleting the entire statement.
Frankly I don't care what people write. I am a proponent of the First Amendment

I'm pretty pissed off right now. You people do whatever the flock you want.

Hmm, that is strange that such a deep crater would be made. Perhaps there was a secondary explosive? Perhaps the FBI were setting some more idiot jihadists up and gave them some bad bomb-making instructions.

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamas...ding_target_materials_bla.html#incart_m-rpt-1

One person dead, leaving a crater 2 feet deep. And only 10 feet off Hwy 26! I wonder how much of the stuff they used. I find it kinda funny they took all the precautions like a normal bomb, xraying backpacks etc.

It's all about confinement. You can multiply the destructive force of even a relatively slow explosive like Tannerite and its variants by putting it in something (think pipe bomb). There are also accelerants like nitromethane, welding oxygen and others that radically change things.
There are many recipes that require little brain power to put together that will produce satisfactory results.
A common toy balloon filled with oxygen and acetylene will produce a relatively harmless but "nuclear" reaction. Confine it in a pop can or milk jug and you have a deadly device. Fill a trash bag and you can take a building down.

The "crater" looks more like it blew away the loose stuff on top, not like it moved a couple of yards
of heavy soil. That busted off tree is impressive---THAT took some bang!

Sounds like the police have ruled out homicide. Current speculation is between suicide and accident.

If it's suicide you kind of have to admire his style. One report says they found remains of a firearm---
so just shooting himself wasn't enough. Talk about going out with a bang! Stupid to do it 10 ft from
the highway, endangering innocents.

Accident? So you have this big jug of binary explosive. Already mixed up. You decide to go out in the
woods and see what it will do. Stop at a likely spot, head for the woods. Jug in one hand, firearm in
the other. Slip climbing the bank from the road, gun fires and you blow yourself into itty bitty
chunks, permanently removing yourself from the gene pool and this worldly realm.

That has GOT TO deserve a Darwin Award nomination--and I predict a top three finish when
the 2015 awards are announced!:cool:

It's all about confinement. You can multiply the destructive force of even a relatively slow explosive like Tannerite and its variants by putting it in something (think pipe bomb). There are also accelerants like nitromethane, welding oxygen and others that radically change things.
There are many recipes that require little brain power to put together that will produce satisfactory results.
A common toy balloon filled with oxygen and acetylene will produce a relatively harmless but "nuclear" reaction. Confine it in a pop can or milk jug and you have a deadly device. Fill a trash bag and you can take a building down.
Are you seriously posting recipes? You should be banned.

Seems to me that combinations of things that can take down buildings might be better received over at the "improvised munitions and IEDs" forum. Does anyone really think offering up ideas like those have any place here? Weird.

Dont worry, You can still get books on explosives from the library. If you want to entertain the NSA, there plenty of fully scanned books on the subject on google books.

If you prefer a hard copy, the Preparatory Manual of Explosives, 4th addition, is in stock at my local Barnes and Noble. As the overview says "The book is a perfect reference for students, government agencies, government contractors, and enthusiasts."

Dont worry, You can still get books on explosives from the library. If you want to entertain the NSA, there plenty of fully scanned books on the subject on google books.

If you prefer a hard copy, the Preparatory Manual of Explosives, 4th addition, is in stock at my local Barnes and Noble. As the overview says "The book is a perfect reference for students, government agencies, government contractors, and enthusiasts."
Oh good......my bad. Maybe NSA can pull library card records after the fact. It would be awesome to see late fees applied to someone that failed at a recipe named "how to make a home made crater" and never turned the book back in on time:D

53 years ago we made our own black powder out of sulfur, charcoal, and potassium nitrate bought at the local drug store. We used it in our "experiments". When we took a 6 inch limb out of an oak tree a 100 yards away we figured we were pushing our luck. Then we turned our attention to a go-kart engine, a little methanol, nitromethane, and picric acid. It didn't take long to turn that into a basket of metal fragments. Somehow we survived and were ever after a whole lot smarter because of these experiences. Ammonium nitrate is sold as fertilizer these days, and powdered aluminum is readily available too. The difference is that what used to be classified as childhood pranks are now felonies.

53 years ago we made our own black powder out of sulfur, charcoal, and potassium nitrate bought at the local drug store. We used it in our "experiments". When we took a 6 inch limb out of an oak tree a 100 yards away we figured we were pushing our luck. Then we turned our attention to a go-kart engine, a little methanol, nitromethane, and picric acid. It didn't take long to turn that into a basket of metal fragments. Somehow we survived and were ever after a whole lot smarter because of these experiences. Ammonium nitrate is sold as fertilizer these days, and powdered aluminum is readily available too. The difference is that what used to be classified as childhood pranks are now felonies.

Yep we did likewise. I also picked up coal, and sulfur from the railroad tracks down near the Paper Mills and ground it up and added Salt Peter (potassium Nitrate) that we bought from both the drugstores and Carolina biological. It was no big deal. Ticked my granddad off when I blew up the water trough though.
And yes we could just go to the local Powder store and buy Dynamite and caps. I always had a supply for blowing stumps in the back of the Pickup.
Damn times are pretty sick now.....................We now live in a wussy Nation.

Last Edited:

Bellarum, take a breathe, relax... Do another...

Ahhh... I know one website, where there is an Active Sub Forum, that discusses the making of Black Powder, it is not ilegal to do so.

I knew another website, now closed to "unknown people, wanting membership" that teaches more accurate stuff than Post #36, Sorry Thumper, err Stomper, ~Most of that cookbook~, will get you Maimed, at the Minimum...

I prefer more Scientific Journals :D

philipisms,

ALL Knowledge should be Free.
All varieties of Weapons should be Legal
&.....
ALL Personal Actions & Activities should be held accountable for results.

An Armed Society Once Was, a Polite Society, then the Laws got in the way.

Hey you, don't pick your nose in PUBLIC...... :confused:

Buy at the gunshow and pay cash!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads