Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Get your exploding targets while you can

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Jabba, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Jabba

Jabba Oregon Member

2. coyote223

coyote223 NW Oregon Stamp Collector,,,

Probably just some muslim terrorists on a training run, nothing to see here,,,

Was there a gun found? If it was tannerite, how was it set off?

3. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

I dont buy that blast was caused by tannerite, at least if the reports are correct. It would take a hundred + pounds of tannerite to make a 2 foot deep 10 food wide crater? I guess some moron could spend $500 to make a bang and somehow kill himself in the process. I just cant see it being very likely

BoonDocks36, orygun and Joe13 like this.
  4. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

videos on youtube suggests 30 lbs will blow up a truck so Im guessing $200 of tannerite, a high point 9mm and a someone not well educated in explosives

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  5. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I think there was more too it then just a tanerite like product.

6. IronMonster

I used to have a user of high explosives permit and have some blasting experience. There is a huge difference between putting an explosive in a contained area (a truck) and detonating on of top of the ground. It would take 10-20 sticks of dynamite to make a crater 2 foot deep and 10 foot around if you just set it on the ground (and it seems very unlikely they dug a hole, buried it and then shot at it)

Nope, 30 pounds of the stuff wouldn't do it. Im not sure a hundred pounds would.

Of course they could be exaggerating,

Here is 164 pounds, You will notice at the end of the video there is not a visible crater

Flopsweat likes this.
  7. bolus

I'll yield to your expertise then.

Though this is 1 lbs in the ground and seems to be pretty good at moving the dirt.

at 1:20

8. IronMonster

Yep, I agree. If you could get it far enough in the ground it would not take much, maybe 20-30 pounds, but it would need to be 20" in the ground to make the crater they are talking about and I doubt it would be 10 foot across even then, I suppose it could be if the ground was soft enough. Maybe that's how the guy got killed, it put it down in a hole and stood over it and shot :eek: You would basically be creating a shape charge

I think this is more like the boom you need to create a 10 foot crater

ZA_Survivalist likes this.
  9. IronMonster

I just went and looked at the story again. The first time I just saw the one picture. Looking through the pictures I wouldn't call that a 2 foot deep 10 foot crater. It was a sizable blast for sure but hold your hand 2 feet above the floor and look at what that looks like and then look at those pictures. Especially the one with the camera person for scale.

10. bolus

I think, my friend, we need a myth busters style test for this one. Where can we procure 50 lbs of tannerite and a location that does not mind a few 10 foot craters? :)

blackadder, hker71, Slobray and 5 others like this.
  11. IronMonster

Boy that sounds like a winner. I'll buy the tannerite if you come up with a spot:D

As the mythbusters say, "The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down"

Flopsweat, hker71, Slobray and 2 others like this.
  12. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

There is very strange And something a lot more at stake than just some tannerite blowing up there..
    They have been trying to outlaw that stuff for quite a while. Motives and actual facts are
    lacking here. Just plain ODD event.

BoonDocks36, Slobray and IronMonster like this.
  13. Greenbug

Greenbug Bend Well-Known Member

Kinda looks like there used to be a stump there? Maybe he put it under the stump that might have been there?

14. U201491

We have blown lots of stumps and they don't look like that blast. When they showed this on TV there was not a big blast area like that. Just some debris near the car. Now it looks like a grenade of a dozen went off. so what gives? It is more like a dynamite blast and an uncontained one but what the hell is with the tree being toothpicked. Tannerite would not do that that way.

15. U201491

16. IronMonster

Suicide makes some sense. If you where going to kill yourself maxing out your credit card on a pile of tannerite and shoot it while standing over it would be a pretty fool proof method. But the site does not look right to me either. The hole did look bigger with the reporter standing in it in the video

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  17. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

One thing I'm confident was a factor in this event... The Process of Natural Selection. :rolleyes:

hker71 and salmonriverjohn like this.
  18. U201491

You mean a Darwin Award :)

BoonDocks36, Stomper and hker71 like this.
  19. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Many years ago, back in my high school days, my friends and I enjoyed a time where we messed around with homemade pipe bombs. We didn't have the internet then, we just figured it out on our own. No tannerite needed. We went down to the local GI Joes and bought everything we needed, black powder, cannon fuse, and some PVC from the hardware store. We were blowing substantial craters in the ground in the middle of nowhere for under $20. It was remarkably stupid and foolish and fortunately none of us were hurt.

I don't know why they're saying it's tannerite, maybe they found a canister, maybe a receipt, but I can't help but wonder if they aren't looking for yet another reason to go after recreational shooters.

BoonDocks36, Stomper, xlsbob and 3 others like this.
  20. NONAME762

NONAME762 Nowheresville Active Member

Just in case you fell out of a window recently and hit your head about a thousand times on your way down you really should consider removing the first 2 lines of your confession of 42 minutes ago. You should stop drinking Red Bull too.