JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have posted this at a couple of other places, but I decided it would be good for this forum, too.

Americans don't tend to care to stockpile anything. Most of us have the mentality that we can run to the store any time we want and there will be items there that we desire to purchase.
After the election of Obama, millions of Americans felt that he would rapidly try to take their guns. A lot of these people started buying guns and ammo at a record pace. Soon store shelves around America were bare of ammo. Also, I have read that gun sales were over 14,000,000 during 2009. There was a feeding frenzy as people crowded into gun and department stores to stock up on guns and ammo.
During 2009, I saw many people who made the rounds every day seeking certain ammo that they wanted. Many times the shelves would be bare. Those who wanted to buy ammo and/or guns would sometimes yell at the clerk. They would say things like: "When you gonna get ammo? Why do you not keep your shelves full? If you don't want to sell it, why do you advertise it?" And, on and on.
Sometimes, when the store did get a shipment, the first customer would try to buy ALL of the caliber that he wanted, leaving none for others. I heard stories that people would arrive a Wal-Mart before the store opened and buy ALL the ammo they had on the delivery truck. I don't know for sure that is true, but I did hear it. It may have just been a frustrated general public spreading rumors. But, it was a BAD time for gun owners!
However, it is true that Obama did not push an anti-gun agenda and things started to return to normal.
Today, most stores have plenty of ammo and guns. And, people have reverted back to their "I only need one box of shells at a time" attitude. They are acting like they will be able to go to the store any old time and pick up ammo.
Well, my opinion is the the shortages will soon be back. It could be by Obama writing an Executive Order, or Congress flexing its anti-gun muscle, or, possibly shortages of the materials needed to manufacture ammo. I'm sure that those who whine about the cost of ammo today will be crying like babies when they can't find ammo tomorrow.
I'm not waiting! Every payday I purchase a certain amount of the calibers that I prefer. I would rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. I would recommend that you all do the same! Get it while you can!

It's threads like this that induce panic buying. Thanks for doing your part to spread the panic to not only this forum, but many others. You'd have to be special ed to need a reminder like this to buy ammo for your guns.

SHUT UP

Its people LIKE YOU THAT CAUSE THE STUPID PANIC BUYING. The only shortage of ammo we all had to put up with was because People like you started it. Leave the Sheeple alone. And things will be fine. If OBAMA does do something there will be plenty of time to freck out and act like an idiot buying up 10,000 primers when you don't even reload etc. like people did.

DO YOU WORK FOR A GUN SHOP WITH TO MUCH AMMO ON THE SHELF OR SOMETHING......

In 1979 the news papers and TV started talking about a gas shortage and sure enough we had one. Except we didn't. what we had was a panic buying overage. I worked in a small town gas station a Chevron. Before the so called gas shortage we sold about 2200-2600 gallons of gas a day depending on the day of the week. We were open from 7am to 9pm most days. Within three days of the so called gas shortage. We were still selling 2200-2600 gallons of fuel depending on which day of the week. ONLY now we were doing it by 11:00am in the damn morning. Cause every little blue haired old lady with a 62 Nova in town had 7/8 of a tank of gas. As did every other yahoo.

The OBAMA scare was exactly the same thing. The masses them selves caused the shortages not anything real. not anything that actually need to be prepared for.

SO SHUT UP.

Thank you we now return you to your regular TV channel

I don't remember anything like that around here.
Very good - I am glad you did not have to amuse yourself by reading ads placed by people trying to sell ammo BY THE ROUND and then (probably the same people) trying to sell large amounts later. I suspect a lot of PO'd wives were instrumental in the ammo sell off - as well as the large amount of 'used' AR's in the local pawnshops.

I'd say just keep a good stockpile of ammo on hand at all times. Here's an example:

.22LR: 5,000 or more
9x19mm: 2,000-3,000
.45 ACP: 1,000-2,000
7.62x39mm: 2,000-3,000
7.62x51mm: 500-1,000
12-Gauge Shotshells: 500-1,000

Remember, this is just an example. But regulate your stockpile accordingly.

I'd like to have 10k rounds for each gun I own.
Unfortuneatly...... I have insufficient funds to do so.
I'd also like a year's supply of dried/packaged food, toiletries, etc etc.
THAT I don't have money OR room for.
All the same, regardless of what I hear or read, I will but what I can, when I can.

I agree totally . I've been doing that for years.
Is there a limit to the amount we can have in our home??

Yes. When your floor starts saggin you have to much. Build a shed with a slab foundation!

Start a frenzy? Are you serious? Nobody is going to start a frenzy because people like you are to smart to fall for that one. People like me will keep buying though.

Seriously, I can see having a fair amount of ammo but a zillion rounds seems a bit over the top. If there are organized forces trying to kill you I doubt that you'd stay alive no matter how much of a stockpile you had. I suppose it could be used as currency but it sounds like many are expecting a siege, and that is not realistic.

Seriously, I can see having a fair amount of ammo but a zillion rounds seems a bit over the top. If there are organized forces trying to kill you I doubt that you'd stay alive no matter how much of a stockpile you had. I suppose it could be used as currency but it sounds like many are expecting a siege, and that is not realistic.

Nobody here is talking about a zillion rounds. So how much is to much? Who decides? Who enforces? It's just about priorities. You want to buy a flatscreen tv with a sixty five dollar a month cable bill, another guy wants to have a four hundred dollar a month car payment with full coverage, others want to buy ammo. It's not right or wrong. I will tell you though if the guy with the ammo ever changes his mind and wants to go a different direction he will always be able to get his money back. The guy with the tv and the car never will.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top