JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I submitted the testimony yesterday (Monday) afternoon and did not receive any response as I have in the past. I do not know how or where to check to see if it was included in the record. I did copy all the Senate Judiciary committee members on the email so at least they got it.

RKBA
I just checked again and mine are in the record now. Check for yours again. You can sort the order by alphabet by clicking top of the name list

Never forget. Tyrants always take away your ability to defend yourself before they start the killing.
75d74a7b3ed34124ebc62cb44d0b865b40116fcbd72b6529c0e64cc4394e05bf-jpg.jpg

Some Public Hearing "Lessons Learned" from Today.

Today was my first time attending a public hearing. Here is a summary of my "lessons learned".

Parking: $6 for the whole day in the Yellow Lot 860 Marion St. NE. You can pay at the machine with credit card. Other options can be found on the parking facility maps from oregon.gov.

Show up as early as possible to ensure you are able to get your name on the list to testify.

It will be "suggested" that if you aren't testifying, that you go to an overflow room to watch a live televised version of the hearing. There you will not be seen by the legislators. You want to be seen. Your presence in the room is important. Even though I did not testify, I just ignored the suggestion and sat down in the main hearing room.

Seating in the room is first-come, first-served. Reserving seats for someone is not allowed, so if someone (from the opposition) tells you they are saving a seat, remind them it is not allowed and take the seat.

Showing up in identically-themed T-shirts is a good way to signal unity, but lacking that, something as simple as everyone pasting a common sticker (we had Oregon Push Back "I Will Not Comply" stickers) on their shirts will work almost as well. Again, lacking an identically-themed T-shirt, wear something pro-2A/pro-gun (I had an OreGunian T-shirt on) to indicate you are with the "good guys".

Although it obviously helps, you don't need to be a good public speaker to testify. Even "our Governor" Kate Brown and AG Rosenblum stuttered or misspoke at times. Many people simply read their testimony from a piece of paper. I did not testify today, thinking I needed give a good performance, and regretted it in the end.

When testifying, rants about Second Amendment rights, though understandable, are not convincing, and almost cringeworthy. BSG 75 has already given some very good advice about formulating your testimony here.

Spread the word that NWFA is a good source for staying up-to-date on legislation and 2A activism.

To the other NWFA members who were there today: are there any additional points worth mentioning?

Last Edited:
Some Public Hearing "Lessons Learned" from Today.

Today was my first time attending a public hearing. Here is a summary of my "lessons learned".

Parking: $6 for the whole day in the Yellow Lot 860 Marion St. NE. You can pay at the machine with credit card. Other options can be found on the parking facility maps from oregon.gov.

Show up as early as possible to ensure you are able to get your name on the list to testify.

It will be "suggested" that if you aren't testifying, that you go to an overflow room to watch a live televised version of the hearing. There you will not be seen by the legislators. You want to be seen. Your presence in the room is important. Even though I did not testify, I just ignored the suggestion and sat down in the main hearing room.

Seating in the room is first-come, first-served. Reserving seats for someone is not allowed, so if someone (from the opposition) tells you they are saving a seat, remind them it is not allowed and take the seat.

Showing up in identically-themed T-shirts is a good way to signal unity, but lacking that, something as simple as everyone pasting a common sticker (we had Oregon Push Back "I Will Not Comply" stickers) on their shirts will work almost as well. Again, lacking an identically-themed T-shirt, wear something pro-2A/pro-gun (I had an OreGunian T-shirt on) to indicate you are with the "good guys".

Although it obviously helps, you don't need to be a good public speaker to testify. Even "our Governor" Kate Brown and AG Rosenblum stuttered or misspoke at times. Many people simply read their testimony from a piece of paper. I did not testify today, thinking I needed give a good performance, and regretted it in the end.

When testifying, rants about Second Amendment rights, though understandable, are not convincing, and almost cringe worthy. BSG 75 has already given some very good advice about formulating your testimony here.

Spread the word that NWFA is a good source for staying up-to-date on legislation and 2A activism.

To the other NWFA members who were there today: are there any additional points worth mentioning?

Great feedback! I might add that the yellow parking lot fills up quickly as well. I came late, and it was filled by 9:30.

Edit: I would also add that if you look at the witness signup sheets, you are allowed to sign up in groups (or have someone sign in for you). This can work as it allows a group of you to either harmer home a single point or two. Or allow a broader sharing of information on a more complicated testimony that might take more than 2 minutes.

Last Edited:
Great feedback! I might add that the yellow parking lot fills up quickly as well. I came late, and it was filled by 9:30.

Edit: I would also add that if you look at the witness signup sheets, you are allowed to sign up in groups (or have someone sign in for you). This can work as it allows a group of you to either harmer home a single point or two. Or allow a broader sharing of information on a more complicated testimony that might take more than 2 minutes.
Great point about signing up for others.

DivCurlGrad72 - good points all around.

I am resentful when I need to take time or change plans to stick up for my rights, but I always feel better when I do. If gun control has got you in a funk or if you don't think you can make a difference just start attending. It feels better to try.

The anti's really play up the emotional angle. If this is an act it is shameful, but if it is the reality they live in I feel some sympathy for them because they exist in a bad place.

When the anti's were talking sense they seemed to focus on prevention of suicide and unauthorized access to firearms. I think us pro 2a folks have a lot of common ground with them on these issues. If that is their real focus, which I doubt viewing the anti moment more holistically, then an opportunity for a mutually beneficial outcome is being squandered.

The anti's today were a very homogeneous group. I'm sure they would say the same about us but I think they beat us here. They really played to gender stereotypes too.

Some sales training I had involved reading the type of customer you were dealing with and adjusting yourself and your pitch to them. For instance, if you sensed you were dealing with an analytical type you would give them lots of data and specifics. The pro 2a folks seem to have a pretty good grasp of the data and solid arguments for the analytical types but maybe we should incorporate some more emotional appeals. Just a though, I don't know enough about any of the representatives to know what would appeal to them.

Cash and power... Lots of cash and lost of power...
For many of them they are going to push legislation aimed toward their base's interest. As was evidenced in my House district HD26, money doesn't mean much. The newcomer Democrat won against Incumbent Republican and she only had about 1/5th the campaign funds to spend (about 40k to 200k).
As Pro-rights constituents, we need to grow and expand our influence, then carry that all the way to 2020. One person at chinook lunchroom today (maybe a member here) was very concerned about lack of young people fighting for our cause. I agree with him that this is a very important issue we need to work on.

I may be a bit slow on the uptake on this one but this morning I was thinking.... What does the amendment have to do with mass shootings?

Nothing, it's all concern about law abiding gun owners protecting themselves and control over us.

My internal logic core is still in a boot loop over that one.

Thank you to everyone that had time off to burn and showed up.

SB 978 and HB 2013 Testimony deadlines extended. Please take this opportunity to provide testimony if you haven't already done so. If you have already provided testimony, please consider providing additional testimony. I would welcome any respectful testimony but it would be especially helpful if we could attack the specific areas of the bills. Here is an example of my testimony targeting the Section 17 of SB 978:
"Thank you for accepting my testimony on SB978.

Senator's SB 978 has many faults but one important issue that needs to be raised is the fact that anyone owning an unserialized firearm will instantly be subject to a Class B Felony for the simple act of possessing a firearm that has been legal to own for generations. It was common for firearms made prior to 1968 to be manufactured with out a serial number meeting the Federal requirements that SB 978 specifies or any serial number at all. There are tens of thousands of these firearms owned by residents of this State. Many of these have been passed down from relatives through multiple generations. SB 978 will make the owners of these firearms subject to a Class B Felony for each unserialized firearm they own. The Federal codes SB 978 specified do not list a path for an individual to serialize an already manufactured firearm from a potentially unknown manufacture.

I urge the Committee to vote no on SB 978 and spare many law abiding Oregonian's from being turned in to felons with the passage of this bill."

I will be writing up additional testimony for Sections dealing with CCW restrictions and unfinished receivers/frames.

Thanks for helping out. Here is screenshot of fb post from OregonPushBack regarding deadline ext.

Screenshot_20190403-014437.png

Screenshot_20190403-014446.png

Last Edited:
.....hmmmm. Extend the comnent time because the overwhelming majority of them are against it...:rolleyes:
The vast majority of testimony I read was opposed to the bill. It could be they want time to encourage the proponents to send in supportive testimony during the extension period.

Or it could be because they were having major delays getting testimony posted?

Either way we need to flood them with more opposition testimony. Especially targeted testimony on specific sections of the bill.

For many of them they are going to push legislation aimed toward their base's interest. As was evidenced in my House district HD26, money doesn't mean much. The newcomer Democrat won against Incumbent Republican and she only had about 1/5th the campaign funds to spend (about 40k to 200k).
As Pro-rights constituents, we need to grow and expand our influence, then carry that all the way to 2020. One person at chinook lunchroom today (maybe a member here) was very concerned about lack of young people fighting for our cause. I agree with him that this is a very important issue we need to work on.

Citizens vote based on who they (usually uninformed or misonformed) *think* will work in their best interests and relative attractiveness. Yes,women and men both will tend to vote for the most attractive candidate. Sigh.

Politicians vote based on:
  1. Pressure from their party leadership (personal consequences vs rewards)
  2. Special interest monies (personal rewards vs consequences like being cut off)
  3. On rare occasion based on doing the right thing, but only if it makes the other side look bador scores points during an election year.
So long as the voters are going to stay asleep at the wheel we are allowing corrupt leadership to get rich while taking our civil rights away. I don't blame politicians for being corrupt lying sleazebags any ore than I would blame a rattlesnake for doing what rattlesnakes do.

Last Edited:
So the notification my testimony was accepted finally came through today after I sent it a second time. At least a couple of my friends copied my verbiage and submitted it also, so far. I just sent today's OFF alert to virtually every Oregon firearm owner I know with an admonishment to get involved. Hopefully it does some good :cool:

Along those lines, I would like to challenge every other NWFA member to not only submit comments but to get ONE other person to do so as well. I believe we have one more day to make our voices heard and there should be literally thousands of comments submitted between now and then.

Git-R-Done people!

RKBA

So the notification my testimony was accepted finally came through today after I sent it a second time. At least a couple of my friends copied my verbiage and submitted it also, so far. I just sent today's OFF alert to virtually every Oregon firearm owner I know with an admonishment to get involved. Hopefully it does some good :cool:

Along those lines, I would like to challenge every other NWFA member to not only submit comments but to get ONE other person to do so as well. I believe we have one more day to make our voices heard and there should be literally thousands of comments submitted between now and then.

Git-R-Done people!

RKBA
The window closes in written testimony tomorrow, Thursday, April 4th at 17:00.

Encourage others to submit their testimony as well...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top