JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have my bug out bag I keep at my house which is complete. I recently put together a get home bag that I keep in my trunk. Just the basics. I started looking at rifles to keep in mine. I was looking at AR7's... I would prefer an M6, but they are hard to find and a lot more expensive. As I was looking I got wind of the new 10/22 takedown, and learned of the papoose. I was wondering if anyone had some insight on a weapon they keep in their get home bag? I know the takedown comes with a pack that fits it all and has MOLLE straps on the front. I was also wondering if anyone has one yet and thinks I could fit all my supplies in it... with a pouch attached to the straps on the front? I think it seems prefect considering everything I have in my bag right now is hardly anything. I would apreciate the insight?! Thanks!

Stolen from some guy (corpsman) on Seattle Guns.Net cause it was just tooooo funny

Urban get home bag:
4 vegetarian MREs, no more than 20 years old.
1/2 pound of C4 for cooking up the MREs when you bubblegum up the heater pack. One butane torch. A GI pot helmet.
One washcloth, one small towel and 12 monogrammed hankies. Liquid castille soap.
One copy each of June 1967 and August 1971 Playboy.
A map of Bellingham. A map of Moclips. Directions from one to the other.
550 rounds of .22 short blanks and a starter pistol.
A drag costume for urban camo.
Syrup of ipecac, 6 ounces of Golytely powder, Pepto Bismol, a Fleets enema and 6 condoms. Be sure to check the condom packs for bite marks.
A pint of Pusser's British Navy rum, 3 shot gasses and a pair of Oakleys.
A soft, chewy stick to roast snakes.
One pair pinking shears, small sewing kit and a small pack of lavender bunting.
A box of latex gloves, a box of alcohol preps and a dental dam.
One pair of tweezers and a magnifying glass. Swiss army knife. Turkish army knife.
2 steel canteens. Ever taste Black Jack after it has been stored in a camelback bladder for 2 months?
Small radio permanently tuned to a rap station (urban camo).
Baggy jeans with waist at least 4 inches to large. Red plaid shirt. 2 black bandannas with MACHEESSSMO printed on the front. Jump boots.
Fake gold neck chains and a counterfeit Rolex.
Pocket locksmith set.
Kel-Tec PMR30 and 10 mags. 10 inch balisong.
Stolen cell phone.

What is the purpose or mission for this long gun? That should determine what you select, not selecting based upon our opinion. We don't know your mission profile nor should we ever.

If your going to shoot squirrels on your way back home then the 10-22 is a good choice. If your going to need a more defensive type carbine which you can more easily find ammo, magazines, and perhaps cannibalize parts then an AR variant might be worth considering. At least with an AR you can also get a 22 conversion kit.

Consider the primary and secondary mission for this long gun. Determine what are the critical needs and base your decision upon these needs.

Also consider two basic events which require you to get home: one in a non-hostile environment and another that is hostile or is potentially hostile.

SInce I am not allowed have a firearm in my vehicle where I work, I do not have one when I am work, but I only 3.5 miles from work, but when I am not work I usually either a 9mm or 40 cal. pistol on me, it is my policy to go home and get a gun and strap it on before going anywhere else, except those place you cannot legally carry inside and I avoid if at possible then usuially leave it in the lock when venturing inside.

But I do have a machette and several knive in the tool box of my truck in case I have grab my get home bag

I added this to tell other like that if you have similar situation as me, there are items to carry other firearms and if you live close to work like me, even though it inconvenient go home, get your gun and then go shopping or running errands if you ever need it, al those time you cussed going home for it or extra fuel wasted will all be a wash.

BTW, as asked above what a long gun in the get bag, Bug out you dang tooten, donna understand why in the get home bag

Stolen from some guy (corpsman) on Seattle Guns.Net cause it was just tooooo funny

Urban get home bag:
4 vegetarian MREs, no more than 20 years old.
1/2 pound of C4 for cooking up the MREs when you bubblegum up the heater pack. One butane torch. A GI pot helmet.
One washcloth, one small towel and 12 monogrammed hankies. Liquid castille soap.
One copy each of June 1967 and August 1971 Playboy.
A map of Bellingham. A map of Moclips. Directions from one to the other.
550 rounds of .22 short blanks and a starter pistol.
A drag costume for urban camo.
Syrup of ipecac, 6 ounces of Golytely powder, Pepto Bismol, a Fleets enema and 6 condoms. Be sure to check the condom packs for bite marks.
A pint of Pusser's British Navy rum, 3 shot gasses and a pair of Oakleys.
A soft, chewy stick to roast snakes.
One pair pinking shears, small sewing kit and a small pack of lavender bunting.
A box of latex gloves, a box of alcohol preps and a dental dam.
One pair of tweezers and a magnifying glass. Swiss army knife. Turkish army knife.
2 steel canteens. Ever taste Black Jack after it has been stored in a camelback bladder for 2 months?
Small radio permanently tuned to a rap station (urban camo).
Baggy jeans with waist at least 4 inches to large. Red plaid shirt. 2 black bandannas with MACHEESSSMO printed on the front. Jump boots.
Fake gold neck chains and a counterfeit Rolex.
Pocket locksmith set.
Kel-Tec PMR30 and 10 mags. 10 inch balisong.
Stolen cell phone.

Too funny..........

So on the mission of the weapon. First, I do carry a 9mm. So it works for protection. I would be using it for hunting/defense. You have to remember. If you're more than 15 miles away... it'll prolly take you more than one day to get home. I go by that factor... 15 miles a day. So being able to hunt and defend yourself is my goal. I have AR's and other rifles. But I want something light that I can keep ammo with. If i'm bugging out from my house, it'll be my AR. This is for my get home bag. I also only have 1 mag in my carry pistol. I'd rather use a 10/22 with a 25 round mag and still be able to keep another one in the bag. And is for a non-hostile versus hostile. I don't really believe that. If something happens that requires me to use my get home bag. It is either not very hostile or really hostile. Bad situations bring out the dirtbags. Which is also why if something happened I'd stick to the woods as much as possible... stay out of the danger areas.

If you're building your Get Home Bag around 1-2 days of travel or capability, hunting doesn't have to be part of the equation. A long gun + ammunition likely represent more space and weight consumption than the food required to be good to go for 2 days. They are probably also more awkward to move with.

A Get Home Bag can be a simpler thing than they are made to be. Water, food, spare mags and rounds for a concealed pistol. Larger sizes of ziplock bags, to throw sensitive items in for water proofing (we have lots of rivers). Shoes suitable for lots of foot travel. Light. Fire. Protection from the sun or cold.

Yet another list of ideas for your bag <broken link removed>

I keep a pistol in my bag. I'm mostly concerned about a 16+ hour trip to walk home (worst-case scenario) and possibly having to walk through a couple of crappy areas in greater Seattle.

Peter

I guess one thing I would suggest it that people actually go try and spend one night (48 hours) out of the GHB or BOB they are building. You will get an education real quick. Just drive out to the woods find a nice little spot and spend the next 48 hours or more living out of your bag.

You always have your vehicle there and maybe some back up supplies if you find yourself seriously lacking.....just food for thought.

I guess one thing I would suggest it that people actually go try and spend one night (48 hours) out of the GHB or BOB they are building. You will get an education real quick. Just drive out to the woods find a nice little spot and spend the next 48 hours or more living out of your bag.

You always have your vehicle there and maybe some back up supplies if you find yourself seriously lacking.....just food for thought.

Excellent point!!!!!!!!

I do have an MRE in my bag. And for weight and size... that's why i'm looking at takedown style weapons. And 22 at that. So If i got the 10/22 takedown, AR7 or something similar. It would fit in my bag farely easy and not weigh a lot. I have spent 4 days under a poncho with less stuff than what's in my get home bag. That is why I kept it light. I also never have an exact distance of travel, which is why I like to be prepared, hence the rifle. I also understand everyone is different. So everyones bag will be different. And as I said before, I do keep a pistol with me. So traveling in urban areas I could keep the rifle broken down in my bag and use my pistol. When in the woods, which I would use as much as possible, I would keep the rifle out.

Like OFADAN said, choose your firearm, and other items based on your mission. I see too many people choose gear first, and then fit it to the mission.

I keep hearing people say, "I need the best gear", well...that's relative to the mission at hand, as well as other factors, such as where you live etc.

If you live in a mountain area, the gear you select will be much different than if you lived in Florida.

So there's really no "best" gear in general, just best "gear" for the mission.

And since we don't know what we will face every day, get the gear that will cover the majority of what you may encounter.

papnplast_trash-hefty-cinchsackxl.jpg
My get home bag

papnplast_trash-hefty-cinchsackxl.jpg

Your mission need is key. I agree, if you are a few days from home, just pack food and a handgun. If you need a rifle, look at the kel-tec su-16 as it folds up and takes AR mags. It would fit in a larger backpack. The "c" model will also fire when folded.

I have been kicking around in various shops, looking at different options for under the radar EDC/Get Home Bag options.

So far, it seems very easy to put together a compact, lightweight 24-hour system.

I'll have to look at that keltec, thanks for that. I agree with preparing it for a specific mission. But you can't be too specific, considering no one will know ahead of time anything is going to happen. I basically put in enough basic stuff to make it home. And food and a gun won't cut it... if you're a couple days away. It can get cold and wet out there. I think essentials are food, water bottle, gun, poncho, and some sort of firestarter. That doesn't take up much space or weight... well maybe the gun does! But in a backpack that still leaves room for whatever else you think you might need. This is why I've been looking at takedown weapons.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top