JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Couple things you may not have thought about packing in your get-home-bag:

1) Spraypaint: Has many uses, but mainly for the ability to leave messages anywhere boldly. If I had to leave an area where someone may come looking for me, I'd want to be able to leave more than a penned note tacked to the wall...

2) Kinetic or Rotary watch: I have a watch that runs off the movement of your body. Keeping track of time & possibly, days, is crucial in a survival situation where you & your loved ones may be operating on a time table plan.

3) Earplugs: If things get real crazy & I have to use my firearm, I know this aint the movies. Guns are loud.

4) Solid pair of running shoes: I wear a suit to work everyday. I would not want to be in a survival situation running around in my kenneth coles & breaking my ankle. A pair of nikes go a long way...

5) 100% waterproof bag: I use these while hiking, but in a catastrophic event or bug out situation you may need to swim. Might wanna keep that .45 dry, amongst other crucial items...

I'm sure all yall can think of many more, but this is just an example of what I have in my pack that fits my life style...

4)

A1 to the bags I also carry some High density plastic bags so If I have to i can ford the river. I work In Salem but live north .. I know the roads would be Impassable but the river flows north. It would suck but its an option!

It's a 30 mile trip for me from home to work. I long for the days when it was just 1.5. Anyway, the only advice to offer, is you may want to swap out your running shoes for hiking boots. Better ankle support and better off road. If the SHTF, I would think the last place you'd want to be is walking down the middle of the road.

The river is a good idea! Maybe I should start commuting with my Canoe on top. I said this kinda as a joke, but it makes sense and would get me home much faster then walking, so maybe it isn't a joke.

What happens when your get you home bag doesn't get you home? Simply put, we plan but sometimes the plan fails. What is it you will fall back on?

jj

I have a GHB. I have for several years. It has way too much stuff in it Im sure. I have given this some thought and always come back to the fact that whatever occurs, be it natural(earthquake, volcano) or manmade (nuclear attack, economy crash) There will be a window of time where most people are in disbelief and mesmorized. Most will be scurrying home or busy with acquiring essentials. The first 24 hours will likely be safer travel time to get home. For those of us that work 30 plus miles away. If we cannot drive home, most of us can average 2-3 MPH on foot for a sustained time. I can make it home within the first 20 hours regardless of what the circumstances are. I have a feeling I wont even need anything in the bag as I will be so focused on quickest/safest routes etc.
When I am trying to get home during a crisis. The last thing I want to appear is a threat or a guy with a gun. Sure I will have my pistol concealed. But who has time for drama in a situation of this nature.
Everybody has different thoughts on this, and only time will tell which is right. But if I were to build another GHB, I can tell you it will be more of a 24 hour keep me dry, fed and hydrated cause Im not stopping to cook a meal or nap bag.

I'm in the same boat so to speak...work 20-30 miles from home most days, I did a practice run about 3-4 years ago while my wife was on vacation and I needed something to do for the weekend. I left my truck at work and bugged home and made it in 17 hours... I carried allot of gear I didn't need. I scrapped some of it and added a few items. I had a sleeping bag with me and dropped that and opted for lightweight bivy sack if indeed I needed to sleep out...but unless I'm hurt I'll just keep walking.

If you try a practice run...even if it's in the woods you will find you probably have too much gear. I now use a hydration pack, and that's all the water I carry...2.5 liters. I carry water tabs and 4 way access wrench for city water spigots. Rain gear is a must around here, lightweight jacket or poncho works enough for me. 2 pairs of smartwool socks.

I keep 2 stuff bags near my GHB, one is marked May-Sept and the other Oct-April...Summer Winter bags...Summer is lighter clothes, sunglasses etc...Winter is heavier socks, thermals and gloves. When the times comes just grab n go. I keep the food snacks light..Beef jerky, Protein type bars, Dried fruit...

I carry a knife,multi-tool,flashlight daily and a firearm, so I don't pack any of that in my bag. Of course I have a FAK & Fire starting stuff if needed. The only thing we carry extra is Pepper spray, One small keychain type canister and a larger fogger. I keep a separate bag marked NBC in the vehicle too...might be crazy but being in Seattle with the port there is always an unknown risk of something happening... If need be I will use if necessary otherwise I'll just leave it.

I like the spray paint idea, we carry 2 paint markers one RED & one BLACK, Wife and I have preset signals we will use to notify each other on route home. We have 3 preset ways to go home, plan on marking back of street signs of our progress...etc.

Hmm I have a 16 mile hike from where I normally park my dump truck BUT since things could go wrong with me anywhere from Eugene to North of the Columbia to Santiam Junction to the Coast. And with company rules preventing any weapons in the truck or on a company work site. The idea I would even be able to get home is stretch. Unless I can drive there or at least part of the way there. So not even sure how to plan for being 75 miles from home.

...But if I were to build another GHB, I can tell you it will be more of a 24 hour keep me dry, fed and hydrated cause Im not stopping to cook a meal or nap bag.

Me too. Dry, warm, fed, hydrated long enough to get home. Plus a small radio for information, Swiss Army knife, Leatherman, flashlight, small first aid kit, pepper spray, and some cash and coins. It is light weight so I can move fast. Just the minimum to get home.

i dont even know where to with making a ghb. i work all over the north west. I live in salem,but right now im working in Ontario. so making a 400 mile hike home is a bit out of the question.

i dont even know where to with making a ghb. i work all over the north west. I live in salem,but right now im working in Ontario. so making a 400 mile hike home is a bit out of the question.

Take a raft down the Snake to the Columbia then raft to Portland. You can walk from there.:s0112::s0112:

jj

What happens when your get you home bag doesn't get you home? Simply put, we plan but sometimes the plan fails. What is it you will fall back on?

jj

I don't understand this question? You plan as well as you can, and attempt to cover all contingencies, but obviously you can't. Some improvisation maybe needed, but are you suggesting a different course of action, like not even trying? Some clarification would be nice.

I don't understand this question? You plan as well as you can, and attempt to cover all contingencies, but obviously you can't. Some improvisation maybe needed, but are you suggesting a different course of action, like not even trying? Some clarification would be nice.

Recognizing that a plan doesn't cover all contingincies is as important as the things it does cover. The fact you recognize that "Home" is no longer a viable destination in some circumstances should set off some alarm bells.

Do you have a list of local radio stations that provide traffic conditions/weather for areas you might be driving through?

How ATM locations for when MAYBE the SFTF, or maybe not...but a few more bucks in the pocket wouldn't hurt.

Have a list of "nice to have" items that a quick stop at a minit-mart might provide.

Just thinking about the issues will put you far ahead of those still wondering who's next to be voted off on tv's "Survivor".

Hehe....My first post here, so take it in the spirit offered. Looks like a fun forum. Looking forward to meeting some of the guys and gals here.

Doug in Vancouver

Recognizing that a plan doesn't cover all contingincies is as important as the things it does cover. The fact you recognize that "Home" is no longer a viable destination in some circumstances should set off some alarm bells.

Do you have a list of local radio stations that provide traffic conditions/weather for areas you might be driving through?

How ATM locations for when MAYBE the SFTF, or maybe not...but a few more bucks in the pocket wouldn't hurt.

Have a list of "nice to have" items that a quick stop at a minit-mart might provide.

Just thinking about the issues will put you far ahead of those still wondering who's next to be voted off on tv's "Survivor".

Hehe....My first post here, so take it in the spirit offered. Looks like a fun forum. Looking forward to meeting some of the guys and gals here.

Doug in Vancouver

If were in a situation where I am having to walk home, I really doubt ATM's are going to work, and weather or not radio station are going to be of any help is up in the air. However a small hand held crank radio could be helpful, assuming they've got the power to broadcast.

I keep on thinking about making a ghb, i have a make shift emergency back in my truck but no way close to what my bug out bag is like. My truck needs a ghb but i'm afraid of it getting stolen. I guess put stuff in their that i wouldn't be pissed if it were stolen.

Say you build your bag to get you home then Portland goes up in a nuke nightmare. You will not get home. What will you be able to pull out of that bag to get you to your next destination? Have you planned to meet somewhere else?

jj

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads