JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I decided that since I work 30+ miles from home that I need to put together a get home bag. I know what I want to put in it, but I need help choosing a bag. I am a big guy 6'1" 265lbs and have wide shoulders. This makes some packs uncomfortable. If I have to hump it home, I want a pack that will fit me well. Any of you guys know of a good pack that will work well for a guy with wide shoulders?

I am only slightly smaller than you.......

My wife picked up a backpack from the Sporting Goods section at Wally World for me for less than $10 (working with limited funds but we do what we can afford to do). It is not huge but large enough for what I deemed necessary, and I also would have more than 30 miles to hoof. The bag obviously would not get a ton of use - mostly just periodically rotating out food and water and thrown back in the vehicle - but seems pretty well made, especially for the price. I packed it and went for a three mile walk with no trouble, although I had to stop a couple of times to adjust the straps so that it was riding where I needed it to for the most comfort.

This is just my experience, and I have NO experience with more expensive backpacking type packs, but wanted to offer it up as an option in case your needs for a GHB are similar to mine.

I appreciate the response. I am less concerned about price than I am about comfort. Walking 30+ miles is a long way. We are so used to thinking about traveling by car and 30 miles is nothing, but that's probably 2 days of hiking if you stop to rest and eat along the way, so I want to make sure I get something that I can comfortably carry for a couple of days.

We're about the same size and I have an Alp Mounteering internal frame pack. Its a big sucker, very well made and the straps, belt and padding are fully adjustable, and I mean fully! I got it through REI's online outlet store at an enormous saving! You can get free shipping by having it sent to your local REI store. Everything is guaranteed so if it dosent adjust just return it and try another. I tried mine right in the store. Good luck with your search!

Most quality backpacks come in some combination of green, grey or black as well as the bright stuff.

right; I am aware of that; just saying that sometimes one go into a store; hoping to find the color; and they're sold out except the bright stuff for the foreseeable future; what to do? I believe REI does have a 30 day or so return/exchange thing?

A 72 hour bag is a min. in the PNW, I have had a few grey bags when grey was popular. Now that I have 3 vechicles I bought school bags on sale for $10, dull red in color, I double checked the stiching for quality.
I have a black trash bag inside each bag that will cover me and the bag.
In the PNW it will likely be raining.
Think of it as Urban Camo. :)

+1 on REI for trying several backpacks on, and seeing what works for you. The kid at REI thought I was nuts when I explained it was for a GHB, but I could see the gears turning when I walked him through the likely destruction after a big quake, and how one might need to hoof it home.

Peter

I'm an order of magnitude bigger than you are, 6'7@280, the pack I really like is the US army Molle II assault pack. For what you're going to be carrying it should be plenty of stuff. The only downside is it doesn't have a built in hydration system (USarmy issues a separate hydration system that's worn under the pack). However I've found a hydration system built into the pack invariably develops leaks (if kept full of water) which gets your stuff wet.

My number one suggestion is to go with a smaller pack than you think you need, and then learn to pack efficiently. Extra weight is just extra weight, and does no one any good.

Get something that fits over something that looks cool! Smaller rather than larger. If you've got a large pack you're probably not going to keep it in your vehicle all the time. Also, it's a magnet to fill with crap you don't need! AMProducts is certainly right about that.

Carry what's needed, learn to improvise, and plan accordingly.

Consider what the mission is: getting home. What weather conditions will you face? What terrain? How to avoid damaged / missing bridges? How much food do you REALLY need? It's not about being comfortable, it's about surviving and getting home. Need a tent or some visqueen sheeting to improvise a shelter? Poncho? Try to keep it as light as possible so you can cover that terrain and distance faster.

Why would you have to walk home? 30 miles can be done in 1 day if you are in half decent shape so you would need to be totally self sufficient. A nice poncho covers weather and shelter . Food bars 1 every 2 hours? Water needs vary depending on the temperature [I like some kind of Gator aid powder for half the water you will drink.] you will see day and night , A brimmed hat would be nice as well as gloves for you hands . Probably the most important thing would be good hiking shoes socks and duct tape to put on your blister prone areas before you start the hike home. A LED headlight is a good thing to have. You could buy a feather weight back packing stove,spoon and pot to heat water for a hot beverage or a freezed dried meal but we are talking only 30 miles.

I looked at some packs this weekend. I found a couple that fit pretty well. Now I just need to decide what to get. I do see the point some of you have made about going to big. I had a hiking pack in my truck with stuff in it, but it was a pack for a week long hiking excursion and was just way too big. I also looked through it and there were a lot of nice to have items, so I think I will nix those and go with the have to have items to keep the weight down.

you can also look at the Hazard 4 shoulder bags. They look like they would be pretty much the right size for a GHB. as a bonus, you can simply swing the bag around and have access to most of the compartments rather then having to stop and remove your backpack.

Why would you have to walk home? 30 miles can be done in 1 day if you are in half decent shape so you would need to be totally self sufficient. A nice poncho covers weather and shelter . Food bars 1 every 2 hours? Water needs vary depending on the temperature [I like some kind of Gator aid powder for half the water you will drink.] you will see day and night , A brimmed hat would be nice as well as gloves for you hands . Probably the most important thing would be good hiking shoes socks and duct tape to put on your blister prone areas before you start the hike home. A LED headlight is a good thing to have. You could buy a feather weight back packing stove,spoon and pot to heat water for a hot beverage or a freezed dried meal but we are talking only 30 miles.

It is only 30 miles and could be done in 1 day assuming that conditions are perfect. If there is a major earthquake, bridges may be out and some routes may be impassible. Better to plan for having to walk through rough terrain and around things than planning on everything being perfect.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top