JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Your small stamps like the one with three numbers underneath should be on all over small metal pieces of your rifle including parts of the bolt. Also, the date of your bayonet will be two numbers on the edge.

View attachment 613503
This is what's stamped on the right side but I don't see any of the letters you mentioned??

1567378905749.png

Seeing the swastika on guns gives me a feeling inside I can't describe. It's not a good feeling.

Edit to add: It's not that I wouldn't want to own/posses these old curio & Relic arms. The swastika is like a ghost. something evil to the core. Makes me think of the souls of the people tortured and murdered by the nazi's crying out.

Last Edited:
View attachment 613532

Seeing the swastika on guns gives me a feeling inside I can't describe. It's not a good feeling.

Edit to add: It's not that I wouldn't want to own/posses these old curio & Relic arms. The swastika is like a ghost. something evil to the core. Makes me think of the souls of the people tortured and murdered by the nazi's crying out.
Stalin and Mao killed over 60 million after the war. China has millions of Muslims in real concentration camps now. I know a member here who saw executions in China in a soccer stadium when nobody was supposed to see it because he had an incidental vantage point. I wouldn't attach too much emotion to an inanimate object.

Stalin and Mao killed over 60 million after the war. China has millions of Muslims in real concentration camps now. I know a member here who saw executions in China in a soccer stadium when nobody was supposed to see it because he had an incidental vantage point. I wouldn't attach too much emotion to an inanimate object.

I'm not really up on what Stalin and Mao did. I have watched NatGeo and such about Hitler and his doings, so that is in my head. That emblem, and others of the Third Reich, do get to me, to a point, when I see them. I'm not losing sleep over it though.

I'm not really up on what Stalin and Mao did. I have watched NatGeo and such about Hitler and his doings, so that is in my head. That emblem, and others of the Third Reich, do get to me, to a point, when I see them. I'm not losing sleep over it though.
Stalin was a real sweetheart. After the war he put any Russian soldier who is captured in slave labor camps along with the Germans who were marched all the way back to Russia from everywhere for slave labor. Nine out of 10 Germans never made it home..
Mao was just as just as bad and not unlike North Korea's Kim. Tens of millions starve to death without a care in the world from communist leader ship in China

Okay, thanks for the picture. OP's rifle has generic acceptance mark, no service ID. Maybe as the war progressed the practice was discontinued. I'm not an expert on time frames for all the various markings used. It was evolutionary. The picture in post #20 above shows a good example.

You have a Very Nice piece of History.
Leaving it be is just fine...
Part of the history of the rifle.

American Indians used Swastikas.

My Father fought in France and his Division was the 1st to break thru the Siegfried Line in the Southern Sector. Then on to Baveria.

He sent home an SS Officers uniform that is on display at THE WAR FRONT in Milwaukie.

He came to agree w Gen Patton:
"We are Fighting the Wrong People..."

SS, methinks, weren't People.

There were over 6 million East Eurooean Catholics killed by mostly by partizans and Commies.

The Soviets were responsible for the Katyn Forrest massacre of 10,000 Polish Officers.
The Germans discovered it and exposed it to tge world.

Yet tge Germans got Blamed for it for decades.

Sorry for the rant.

That rifle is an heirloom in it's own right.

SS, methinks, weren't People.
The SS has a bad rep because of their role in running the concentration camps. However, the branch of the SS known as the Waffen (Armed) SS was not associated with the camps. Waffen SS volunteers came from all over Europe to fight Bolshevism. Less than half of the SS divisions were exclusively German. In addition to the German divisions, there were:
3 Hungarian divisions
3 Yugoslavian
2 Belgian
2 Russian
2 Latvian
2 Nordic (volunteers from Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland)
1 Italian
1 Ukranian
1 Dutch
1 Belorussian
1 Albanian
1 Estonian
1 French
Interestingly, over 40,000 Frenchmen served in the French SS division, while no more than 10,000 served in the French resistance. The final defense of Hitler's bunker in the Battle of Berlin was conducted by the French SS division.

The SS has a bad rep because of their role in running the concentration camps. However, the branch of the SS known as the Waffen (Armed) SS was not associated with the camps. Waffen SS volunteers came from all over Europe to fight Bolshevism...

This is missing a big piece of information: to be in any arm of the SS you had to swear to Nazi ideology. These were true believers. The SS volunteered while the regular Army (Wehrmacht) was mostly comprised of conscripts.

Fighting Bolshevism might have been one excuse for joining the SS...but they were fanatic Nazis.

There are countless atrocities that occurred far outside of concentration camps. The members of the SS are still people...but they all deserve their reputation and black stain on history.

For OP...it's a good looking rifle and I hope you continue to appreciate the function and historical significance.

This is missing a big piece of information: to be in any arm of the SS you had to swear to Nazi ideology. These were true believers. The SS volunteered while the regular Army (Wehrmacht) was mostly comprised of conscripts.

Fighting Bolshevism might have been one excuse for joining the SS...but they were fanatic Nazis.

There are countless atrocities that occurred far outside of concentration camps. The members of the SS are still people...but they all deserve their reputation and black stain on history.
Thanks for pointing that out.

I love them, gone are the days of the cheap and plentiful 98's, please keep it original if you can. Sitting here humming "Hitler has only got one ball," by john jones, it's on amazon. I collected ww2 guns and equipment for years and then lost interest in the whole era, gradually sold and traded it all off. Now I regret it.

The OP is a Kool Kid Bringback...
The SS & Adolph could be a separate Thread.

There IS a Huge amt of History that was DELIBERATELY LEFT OUT OF HISTORY CLASS..!!

Could start with Otto and
The Gran Sasso Raid at Hotel Campo. :)

I love them, gone are the days of the cheap and plentiful 98's, please keep it original if you can. Sitting here humming "Hitler has only got one ball," by john jones, it's on amazon. I collected ww2 guns and equipment for years and then lost interest in the whole era, gradually sold and traded it all off. Now I regret it.

Had to get a listen to that. :s0114:

I should think you'd regret getting rid of a collection. I hurt for you. All I have is a Swede Mauser and an No1 MKIII* Enfield. I wish I'd started about 40 years ago.

Necro Post- Im amazed at how many consider the 98k a hard kicking rifle.. I grew up on my Dad's "bringback".. and now my, K98k.. I'll grant that it has a push-back but not really worse than the Springfield or Mosin Nagant... if you want less kick find some US commercial loads from Remington or Winchester.. down-loaded in case fired from a .318 Mauser. They are like a hot .30-30... The 198 gr Seller&Bellot are full power for which the rifle was designed and will reach out and touch a deer or elk..

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top