Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

German drilling help

AndyinEverson

Reactions
tac may be of assistance here...perhaps a tac signal would not go amiss...
@tac ....:s0162:
Can ya help us out here...?
Andy

Velzey

Reactions
I do a chamber cast and see exactly what caliber those two are. I swear more than half of these I run across are not marked what caliber a they are.
Most of the time they are either 16ga or 12, paired with 8x57 or 9.3x72R.
L Dieter made allot of these cape guns and exported them to South Africa in from 1875-1900.

On occasion I've had to send photos off to Simpson Ltd
And ask for ID help.

AndyinEverson

Reactions
Pre-1891 gun proof acts there may NOT be...however, the '18' is the NBD in millimeters, IOW, 12gauge.
Yeah that's why there is a "may" in my post....
As in there may be one or there may not be one...kinda like Hamlet but different...:D

"To be or not to be , that is the question...Whether 'tis nobler in the breech to suffer the gun proof marks of outrageous stamping..." :confused::D
Or something like that...
Andy

Munchen is German for the city of Munich.... that’s all I know.

When I was stationed over there we would refer to Munich residents as butt munchen.. (a play on the German plural for “butt munchers”... sorry, it’s complicated.):D

tac

Reactions
It is a quality gun not only by appearance but by the title on the rib - he was a gunmaker to the Royal Court of Bavaria. Even before the 1891 gun proof laws there were proof houses in ALL the German states prior to unification. So there must be SOME other marks somewhere - usually on the water-table of the action.

Reactions
If it is 8x57 R and .323 diameter I have ammo you need 3 or 4 boxes of them but depending on when it was made it could be 318 diameter bore a lot of them were 16 gauge but not 2 3/4 if it goes in but won't close it probably 2 1/2 in the same with 12 gauge not 2 3/4 but 2 9/16 was common

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Rangemaster Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    I have done business with Jeff for many years,he is trustworthy and honest
    • grpolarbear
  • Rangemaster Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    I've known him from the beginning. I trust him completely. His prices are fair. He is technically competent in all aspects of gunsmithing and...
    • OLDMANWINTER
  • Country Line Shooting Sports
    5.00 star(s)
    If you like a good mom and pop, country store, County Line only lacks the cracker barrel and chairs to be damn near perfect. They try and for the...
    • CptPh0t0n
  • Brimstone Gunsmithing
    5.00 star(s)
    David is kind, considerate and a true professional as are the rest of his staff ! Thanks
    • LuLuBelle
  • Brimstone Gunsmithing
    5.00 star(s)
    Back in April, I had Brimstone do a Tier 1 trigger job for my 10/22 race gun build. After months of use and a handful of speed steel events, I...
    • Mister Bisley

Staff online