Gun Deals
Low Price Guns
Southwest Firearms Forum
RifleClass.com
Sporting Systems
Oregon Arms & Ammunition
J&B Firearm Sales
Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

German drilling help

Velzey

Reactions
I do a chamber cast and see exactly what caliber those two are. I swear more than half of these I run across are not marked what caliber a they are.
Most of the time they are either 16ga or 12, paired with 8x57 or 9.3x72R.
L Dieter made allot of these cape guns and exported them to South Africa in from 1875-1900.

On occasion I've had to send photos off to Simpson Ltd
And ask for ID help.

AndyinEverson

Reactions
Pre-1891 gun proof acts there may NOT be...however, the '18' is the NBD in millimeters, IOW, 12gauge.
Yeah that's why there is a "may" in my post....
As in there may be one or there may not be one...kinda like Hamlet but different...:D

"To be or not to be , that is the question...Whether 'tis nobler in the breech to suffer the gun proof marks of outrageous stamping..." :confused::D
Or something like that...
Andy

Munchen is German for the city of Munich.... that’s all I know.

When I was stationed over there we would refer to Munich residents as butt munchen.. (a play on the German plural for “butt munchers”... sorry, it’s complicated.):D

Reactions
It is a quality gun not only by appearance but by the title on the rib - he was a gunmaker to the Royal Court of Bavaria. Even before the 1891 gun proof laws there were proof houses in ALL the German states prior to unification. So there must be SOME other marks somewhere - usually on the water-table of the action.

Reactions
If it is 8x57 R and .323 diameter I have ammo you need 3 or 4 boxes of them but depending on when it was made it could be 318 diameter bore a lot of them were 16 gauge but not 2 3/4 if it goes in but won't close it probably 2 1/2 in the same with 12 gauge not 2 3/4 but 2 9/16 was common

LATEST REVIEWS

• Rapid Fire Arms
    5.00 star(s)
    Great place friendly service always take time to help you, great knowledge of products
    • RJSouth
  • Supporting Vendor Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    Perfect install of peep sight on my cz 527 carbine. Price was right, was expecting it to be more. Will be my go to for anything I can't handle...
    • cd90caprice
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    I've been party to a couple transactions with Steve and he is a great guy to deal with.
    • titsonritz
  • TJ Gun Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Purchased two handguns there and have one on consignment now nice folks!
    • rl280
  • Northwest Armory - Tigard
    5.00 star(s)
    Went in to help my buddy with his purchase and ended up trading in a 1911 towards a CZ SP-01 Tactical. They gave a higher price that some of the...
    • nosbocaj

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS