German drilling help

Velzey

Reactions
  • Autobiographer
  • Woke Up Like This
I do a chamber cast and see exactly what caliber those two are. I swear more than half of these I run across are not marked what caliber a they are.
Most of the time they are either 16ga or 12, paired with 8x57 or 9.3x72R.
L Dieter made allot of these cape guns and exported them to South Africa in from 1875-1900.

On occasion I've had to send photos off to Simpson Ltd
And ask for ID help.

Andy54Hawken

Reactions
  • Army
  • Law Around Here
Pre-1891 gun proof acts there may NOT be...however, the '18' is the NBD in millimeters, IOW, 12gauge.
Yeah that's why there is a "may" in my post....
As in there may be one or there may not be one...kinda like Hamlet but different...:D

"To be or not to be , that is the question...Whether 'tis nobler in the breech to suffer the gun proof marks of outrageous stamping..." :confused::D
Or something like that...
Andy

Reactions
It is a quality gun not only by appearance but by the title on the rib - he was a gunmaker to the Royal Court of Bavaria. Even before the 1891 gun proof laws there were proof houses in ALL the German states prior to unification. So there must be SOME other marks somewhere - usually on the water-table of the action.

Reactions
If it is 8x57 R and .323 diameter I have ammo you need 3 or 4 boxes of them but depending on when it was made it could be 318 diameter bore a lot of them were 16 gauge but not 2 3/4 if it goes in but won't close it probably 2 1/2 in the same with 12 gauge not 2 3/4 but 2 9/16 was common

UPCOMING EVENTS

Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder
Cerberus Training Group
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Rifle
Cerberus Training Group

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Sunset Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Gordon is a great guy, highly recommend doing business with him.
    • NWGN
  • Rapid Fire Arms
    5.00 star(s)
    Have done several transfers through this shop. All were pleasant experiences. Folks were friendly and pleasant, prices were fair. I wouldn't...
  • Gorge Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Good little shop. Have transferred numerous pieces here and it's always been pain free. My only little gripe is limited hours (currently not...
  • Money Market Pawn Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    Great place to pickup from sites like Davidson's. Low fees. Friendly folks.
  • Money Market Pawn Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    This has been my go to for all transfers. Peter, the two Jasons and Joe have always been very professional and accommodating. The transfer...
Top Bottom