JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Who has which or both (heard they are the same except for the color on the handle).
Edit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerber_Legendary_Blades
Claims Fiskars owns Gerber, which explains why there are Fiskar scissors on my Gerber multi-tool.
How do you like yours (what length?)

I have some nice old hatchets so I'm not needing small, looking more along the lines of midlength portable axe.

Last Edited:
This isn't an answer to your question but pertanant to the topic.

I looked at all of the axes I could find and bought a Browning 231 Outdoorsman.

The erganomics on it can not be beaten imo, you can go from a 2 handed chop to a choked up to the blade grip and it balances nicely ether way.

It is intended to Chop wood, not split it like a hatchet so it has a very agressive angle to the wedge and nice hook on the blade.

$48 and free shipping on amazon but ive seen it at sportsmans before for around $55.

I now keep that axe strapped to my pack at all times - i can make a blind or a shelter with it in no time and with little effort (well, a lot less then some of my even smaller or larger axes).

This isn't an answer to your question but pertanant to the topic.

I looked at all of the axes I could find and bought a Browning 231 Outdoorsman.

The erganomics on it can not be beaten imo, you can go from a 2 handed chop to a choked up to the blade grip and it balances nicely ether way.

It is intended to Chop wood, not split it like a hatchet so it has a very agressive angle to the wedge and nice hook on the blade.

$48 and free shipping on amazon but ive seen it at sportsmans before for around $55.

I now keep that axe strapped to my pack at all times - i can make a blind or a shelter with it in no time and with little effort (well, a lot less then some of my even smaller or larger axes).

Everything is relevant to this because I'm ISO of a new axe; plastic handle or hickory it doesn't matter.

@Joe13 part of the reason I was leaning towards these over a traditional though is the head design. The extra wide splitting V really tickles my fancy. My shoulders will scream if I'm trying to release a stuck axe and then suddenly it breaks free. Oh man that hurts in a BAD way.

Last Edited:
I too have the Fiskar 14" as well, I have several Gerber tools too and Gerber makes a quality product and also never had a Fiskar fail . I am impressed with both companies yielding a good product for the prices.

I was an idiot and bought the bear grylis backpacking axe (before I knew who he was) - its more of a camp tool then an axe, I wore myself out useing it the first day and havn't touched it since.

That browning axe is a wonderfull axe - i want to say its about 26" and 2.6lbs

Direct from Gerbers Website:
Capture.PNG
Notice top left corner of Axe

Ha! Never noticed that. I guess get the Gerber and the warranty, while also getting Fiskars quality.

Exactly, there is a LITTLE difference in the wording of their warranties. I'm going to head out and look locally at the quality of both. I examined the Fiskars well at Coastal Farm & Ranch not but a couple weeks ago so I'll be looking for the Gerber to see if theirs are identical (which I don't see why they won't be).

When I hear "axe" I think large full handled two hand axe, not a one hand axe - the latter I think "hatchet".

I only have one axe currently, and it isn't a Gerber or Fiskar axe - it is one I picked up at Harbor Freight IIRC (I usually don't buy anything there anymore because most of their stuff is crap). It has a conventional head and works ok - it has a medium sized full two hand plastic handle with rubber near the head and at the grip end - both of which are important; I have broken more than one axe by hitting a firewood round wrong and impacting the handle over and over again (eventually this will break any wood handle) - this is a common issue with axes and mauls; no one is perfect and wood just can't take the impacts as well as the "plastic" handles can. Also, wood handles will eventually loosen and wear out at the head and need replacement far sooner than the plastic handles.

I've done a lot of splitting with axes and mauls over the years and seen a lot of worn out wood handles used by myself and others. I've only seen one plastic handle that was abused to the point of being worn out, and that was one of the early fiberglass ones about 40 years ago.

I also have a splitting maul with wood handle which is okay - forgot where I got it. I would probably pickup more of the HF axes and mauls to have as spares and for others to borrow and use while helping me. I do a lot more work with the axe and maul than my hatchets.

I do have a number of Gerber hatchets and they are okay, but I by far prefer the CRKT Chogan I bought over any of my other hatchets. And yes, Fiskars and Gerber are the same; Fiskars owns Gerber. I don't like the head on any of the Gerber axes and prefer other more conventional heads on other hatchets. I like my Schrade SCAXE2 - the head is more conventional, but it is too light to do any serious work (although it is better than any knife for chopping or splitting)

The CRKT Woods Chogan is just the right weight (almost twice as heavy as the Gerber hatchets) for chopping limbs/etc. and splitting already cut firewood (it can almost handle what the axe can), whereas the Gerber and Schrade hatchets I have are far too light to split unless the firewood has already been split down pretty far.

Also, it has a round wooden handle which can be replaced in the woods with a limb if it breaks, it can be thrown like a tomahawk, and it has enough heft to be used as a decent hammer. All around it is what I pick up first when walking out in my woods to do any hand work or just walking around - that and a K-Bar Kukri.

I need to wrap the hickory handle of the Chogan with something - I will probably put something near the head to protect it from bad impacts, then wrap the rest of the handle with either paracord or some grip tape - it is just too slippery. But I will probably remove it from the head first and then soak it in linseed oil.

As an aside, I've had a little 6" Gerber hatchet with a knife in the handle--the handiest combo for field dressing anything you might happen to kill and have to carry out that I've yet to find. The hatchet takes an edge like a knife--great for skinning, halving, quartering, whatever.

Result:

Since this thread and opinions came quickly I reacted quickly (actually am getting one for the weekend so I had to react quick)...

I liked at Gerber one more time and maybe it was just me; I didn't like the green as much.

Result:
Fiskar X17
Coastal Farm and Ranch: $42.95

Had I gotten a longer one the handle would have been textured where the orange is. If I need a bigger splitter I'll buy a maul from Harbor Freight.

As an aside, I've had a little 6" Gerber hatchet with a knife in the handle--the handiest combo for field dressing anything you might happen to kill and have to carry out that I've yet to find. The hatchet takes an edge like a knife--great for skinning, halving, quartering, whatever.
I have one like that too. Gave it to the SIL. The knife is very sharp, cut myself. It is okay for game processing and better than a knife for splitting, but the handle is too short.

I have used cheap axes and hatchets for most my life,so since i am 57,about 50 years+-
What I have found is that the sexy Fiskars and Gerbers etc are just that. High priced so folks think they are getting something better
Please tell me how wrong I am and that the $200 tool you have is SOOO much better than the one at Ace.
OK you could have bought 4-5 cheap one for that price.You probably will never wear one out,let alone need to sharpen the thing. So the 'it holds an edge better,blah blah blah'
Yes there are an few out there that use these tools regularly and indeed sharpen them.
But for most the axe isn't something that does more than spit a little kindle wood for a back yard social event.
with this all said,the best axe/hatchet is the one that is light enough for your needa and fits you hands and is heavy/light enough to fit you style of work that it will be doing.
All I am saying is don't get caught up cause some you tube hack said it was the best or it has sexy packaging.

I have used cheap axes and hatchets for most my life,so since i am 57,about 50 years+-
What I have found is that the sexy Fiskars and Gerbers etc are just that. High priced so folks think they are getting something better
Please tell me how wrong I am and that the $200 tool you have is SOOO much better than the one at Ace.
OK you could have bought 4-5 cheap one for that price.You probably will never wear one out,let alone need to sharpen the thing. So the 'it holds an edge better,blah blah blah'
Yes there are an few out there that use these tools regularly and indeed sharpen them.
But for most the axe isn't something that does more than spit a little kindle wood for a back yard social event.
with this all said,the best axe/hatchet is the one that is light enough for your needa and fits you hands and is heavy/light enough to fit you style of work that it will be doing.
All I am saying is don't get caught up cause some you tube hack said it was the best or it has sexy packaging.

Well, for me, I am not interested in spending more money for 'sexy'. I've owned some cheap store brands and some slightly more expensive models. Now, having broken a number of wooden handle axes and a hatchet, I've kind of shied away from them. So, I prefer the fiberglass handles. But more important than that is a good blade. One thing I've noticed in cheaper models is that the steel either doesn't sharpen well or doesn't hold an edge. And a dull blade means more work. I like the Fiskars blades, they have performed well for me, whether a hatched, rotary cutter, scissors, or pruning shears. They seem to make good steel, and I'm willing to pay just a little more for that alone. I think you can get a decent hatchet for under $40, even under $30. The $10-$15 models I've owned haven't been worth the savings.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top