JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
70-80 is cold, below 70 is freezing. 80-110 is comfy for me.

So really only summer and part of spring is comfy for me in the south.

Well then, if you decide to visit the Willamette Valley best come in August. No earlier that 4th of July to be sure!

My third trip to Mississippi after Katrina was Aug 2006-Apr 2007. I asked a guy down there if folks ever got used to the humidity. He chuckled and said folks in Mississippi looked forward to winter like Yankees looked forward to summer.

Dad's side of the family has lived in North Carolina since 1770 [Shelby - Marion area]. Some memories from childhood. For those that lived in town, lawn chairs and coolers got lined up by the curb as menfolk came home, and folks visited as kids rode bikes in the street. My grandparents lived in an old neighborhood with long skinny lots, so everyone had rockers on the front porch and yakked at folks walking by. [Back porch was screened in, and that's where you slept on hot humid evenings.] Air conditioning has probably cut into the tradition of visiting this way, but even a walk to the post office with my grandmother was an expedition: stopping and talking to everyone along the way [to and from the post office], appraising flower beds and who had a new car, a history of every family in the neighborhood, remembering when the railroad first came through Smokey Hollow, etc. Even as a kid it seemed everything moved at a languid pace, and there was a history worth remembering in every building and park and bridge and school. The past was as real as yesterday.

I actually lived in Harris County back in the late 90's, wonderful rural area at the time. No BS, no gender confusion, a real God, Country, Family type place. Have seriously considered returning...

More sanity in that county than on the West Coast...

Only problem, when you got all the women of Harris County together...

Ya got a full set of teeth too...

:s0115:

The teeth thing might have its' benefits

You know, the South was one of the places I would like to live. Love what I see and hear of the people, food and cost of living. I'm a simple boy, always have been. I like simple friendly people, like Portland used to have. The only problem I have is I've decided I couldn't take the heat. Talking to a Louisiana transplant a few of weeks ago described the climate as putting a soaking wet blanket in a huge microwave, and draping it over you whole body.

take this from another southern transplant, he weren't lying... The heat & humidity was the reason why I left 40 years ago, well that and the low wages for a cable splicer...
I miss all the family and friends dearly but they can travel to see me, I always recommend that they bring a parka...:p:p:p

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top