JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Was it verbatim?

Mass shootings are not the same or in the same category as police brutality. The only time I can think of police brutality in other countries is when the police are actually fighting a mob (Hong Kong, France) but where is it popular to use unnecessary force on a person of colour, shoot into someones' home, shoot at them in their vehicle, or in the back as they run away, than USA? In some of those scenarios the persons were un armed or simply mentioned they had a permit for said weapon.

Psst, sh!tty things happen to white people too, sometimes justified, sometimes not. Just like "people of color". In case you didn't know.

It just doesn't get drummed up for ratings when it happens.

I am not sure that it is. I have travelled far and wide, and currently, I am in Colombia - I have never faced such nasty attitudes from P to R elsewhere, only in USA. I have dual citizenship and permanent residence to other countries, but USA is my home for now - I just do not always feel welcomed. Now, why is that?
You said:
"I think I need to retire elsewhere, this only happens in USA. "

Define, "this"

Is this tactic (knee on neck) taught to LEOs or did the officer improvise? If this is a legitimate tactic when is it suppose to be used?

Edit: It appears the neck restraint is a legitimate restraint tactic.

Last Edited:
I am generally a strong law-enforcement supporter, as I have honest, decent friends in that profession, but I also know that there are some in law enforcement for the wrong reasons, who absolutely should not be.

About a decade ago my grandfather had a problem with a relative, and ended up with a local cop in his house at 2am. This guy dragged an 82yo disabled man out of his chair to slap handcuffs on, then filed a falsified report about the incident. I know it was false because the responding paramedic was a lifelong friend, who told me what really happened. The cop later was fired and brought up on charges for something unrelated he did to someone else.

I tell that story not to bash cops, but rather to just illustrate that there are unquestionably some people who have no business in the profession, and some agencies are better at weeding them out than others. Unless there's a lot more to this story than we're seeing, those guys appear to be in that category. Very sad.

I think I need to retire elsewhere, this only happens in USA.
Is this true, or is it simply not reported far and wide when it does happen? In some parts of the world people simply disappear...

Emphasis mine:
(...)
The cop later was fired and brought up on charges for something unrelated he did to someone else.
(...)

How many other people were affected negatively by this "bad apple?" How many other laws did he break?

As long as the "blue wall of silence" is still a thing, we will always have a strain between the community and the officer.

Because I lack the eloquence and frankly, the cognitive horsepower to compose something that's not passion driven anti-state tangent, I offer you this via Michael Malice;
"The reason government employees are so disproportionately vile is that state authority attracts low-status, low-quality people who are now in a position to demand the respect and deference that they would never be able to earn otherwise."

Because I lack the eloquence and frankly, the cognitive horsepower to compose something that's not passion driven anti-state tangent, I offer you this via Michael Malice;
"The reason government employees are so disproportionately vile is that state authority attracts low-status, low-quality people who are now in a position to demand the respect and deference that they would never be able to earn otherwise."
Are you implying these officers didn't have the qualifications of Paul Blart?

All, be very mindful of our rules here at Northwest Firearms and in particular:

1. Be excellent to each other

Take a few moments and refresh yourselves, if you have a need.

That said, lumping all LEO into a single group, is equally as bad as lumping all firearms owners into a single group following a reprehensible terrorist shooting.

Should anyone chose to do so on here, AND post up such, be prepared for a vacation.
I think tgere is a problem in police culture and I think it is absolutely right to call it out.

Of course not all cops behave this way but far far too many use authority to bully.

If there's a problem, cuff them. Put them in the back seat. Leave them on the ground. Whatever. But shooting a child within three seconds of arriving on scene or kneeling on a guys neck for EIGHT MINUTES!

That should enrage you.

that cop is a murder, through and through, and every one of his fellow officers who don't call him out are complacent and ok with that.

This is why I have no respect for cops in general. I'll be polite as long as I'm being treated with respect, and have never had a bad encounter with them, but if someone signs up for that job, and looks the other way because of some 'brotherhood' mantra bs, they are a worthless piece of power abusing trash, in my opinion., and the brotherhood becomes no more than a brotherhood of thugs.

I remember being 5 or 6 years old and my mom came home from working at St. Charles hospital in Bend. She worked in radiology, and one of her friends/coworkers came into the ER with bruises, broken bones, blood etc. Literally everyone there knew it was her cop husband, and literally nothing was ever done. It baffled me as a child to think that a cop could do that, and no adults would stand up and do anything. Eventually I understood that the cop had his buddies and all their power behind him, and that was enough to keep that woman from telling the truth. Take that story as anecdota bs if you want, but that is a bit traumatizing to a 6 year old. I'll never forget how helpless my mom was to help her friend.

You said:
"I think I need to retire elsewhere, this only happens in USA. "

Define, "this"
I am pretty sure it was established that "this" is about brutality against minority persons is far greater than against the majority persons by our civil servants.
I watch and read world news in other languages that i know well and even translated ones and i am hard pressed to find similar situations abroad.

In Brasil, the police will shoot just about anyone who is outside when they raid a favela, to avoid this a special siren is deployed. Do not come out after that. A favela is the ghetto where drug dealers often live and operate.

I am generally a strong law-enforcement supporter, as I have honest, decent friends in that profession, but I also know that there are some in law enforcement for the wrong reasons, who absolutely should not be.

About a decade ago my grandfather had a problem with a relative, and ended up with a local cop in his house at 2am. This guy dragged an 82yo disabled man out of his chair to slap handcuffs on, then filed a falsified report about the incident. I know it was false because the responding paramedic was a lifelong friend, who told me what really happened. The cop later was fired and brought up on charges for something unrelated he did to someone else.

I tell that story not to bash cops, but rather to just illustrate that there are unquestionably some people who have no business in the profession, and some agencies are better at weeding them out than others. Unless there's a lot more to this story than we're seeing, those guys appear to be in that category. Very sad.

Is this true, or is it simply not reported far and wide when it does happen? In some parts of the world people simply disappear...
Yes, people disappear everywhere in all parts if the world, even in the Florida Everglades. This thread is about a different kind of crime or distrust by our civil servants. I noticed much of that problem is more individual driven than collective driven - following personal choice of action vs following orders from up top, (often for their job security).

that cop is a murder, through and through, and every one of his fellow officers who don't call him out are complacent and ok with that.

This is why I have no respect for cops in general. I'll be polite as long as I'm being treated with respect, and have never had a bad encounter with them, but if someone signs up for that job, and looks the other way because of some 'brotherhood' mantra bs, they are a worthless piece of power abusing trash, in my opinion., and the brotherhood becomes no more than a brotherhood of thugs.

I remember being 5 or 6 years old and my mom came home from working at St. Charles hospital in Bend. She worked in radiology, and one of her friends/coworkers came into the ER with bruises, broken bones, blood etc. Literally everyone there knew it was her cop husband, and literally nothing was ever done. It baffled me as a child to think that a cop could do that, and no adults would stand up and do anything. Eventually I understood that the cop had his buddies and all their power behind him, and that was enough to keep that woman from telling the truth. Take that story as anecdota bs if you want, but that is a bit traumatizing to a 6 year old. I'll never forget how helpless my mom was to help her friend.
I knew of a similar situation as this of a high school mate who was abused by her father, a police officer. For both the story does not end well; tragic.

Reminds me of what my recruiting officer said when he couldn't understand why I wouldn't pick specialties such as electronics or fast-track to Officer Candidate School/Pilot Training (he was frustrated that I wanted to be a cop when test scores indicated otherwise: I couldn't tell him I'd fudged the color-blind test and knew I'd wash out in the specialties he was suggesting).

"Don't you realize that Cop School is where we put guys who wash out of Cook School?"

So, any ideas as to why the U.S. is so much more violent and racist than all other countries of the world?
All places are racist - it's a part of the human groupthink/in-group | out-group thing.

There are few places on earth that have different groups rubbing shoulders as much as in the USA, especially in regard to status. Some places definitely have a majority of one group and underclass of another...in the USA, the groups intermingle in class status quite a bit more.

It takes a lot to fight tribalistic instincts. Too much, maybe.

Status

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR