JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was not directing this at you personally, I just placed a blanket statement having read so many peoples ideas of how to escape mostly from themselves. Personally I would like to be high up on a rock ahead of time.
Silver Hand

AMProducts,we know there will be no "bugging out" of western WA if SHTF.
You will have to be over the pass before it happens.All it takes is trying to get out of Seattle on a Friday of a 3 day weekend 1 time to see this
And if you don't know the back roads,that wouldn't be my first option.Plus there could be thieves that live close that will want what is yours,depending on the disaster.

That's why you need a dual sport motorcycle that can handle fire roads. It's hard to stop a dual sport. A KLR650 with the extended plastic gas tank can hold seven gallons, I think, and you can coax 35MPG out of it. That's enough to maneuver through stopped traffic all the way to freedom, where you have a P71 stored in a storage facility, stocked up and ready to go. Then you don't have to haul all your bubblegum with you.

Oregon State population as of (quick google search) was 3,970,239 in 2014

One might consider a reasonable percentage of those have enough common sense to consider buggering out....so, where are they going to go?

In a SHTF it is probably best to bug-IN, however, in a TEOTWAWKI scenario, we are all pretty much mintflavoredbubblegummed....and why is that?

Well, if I lived "out there" in bug out land, I would be dropping trees across roads to slow/down/hinder and or prevent all the buggerouters from coming my direction. Sorry...but I would. I'm a dick that way, and those who avoid such things are only going to get as far as one tank of gas because those outlining areas are not going to fill your tank.

But rather than write it all out, read a book called Lucifer's Hammer to get an idea of what I mean and what could and would probably happen in a true TEOTWAWKI scenario.

All the rest of this is fantasy...unless you are capable of hiking around the Mt.Hood national forest with 100lbs of gear, in the dead of winter, soaked and wet, with no food...and the potential for injury and infection with every step. I know I'm not...to be honest.

I would be dropping trees across roads
Yeah,for the Seattlites that think they would go to the peninsula to bug out,there are 3 ways to get there.the 101 from both sides and the Hood canal bridge.
There has been rumors of terrible landslides and a bridge sinking so get there early,lol
You talk to locals about this and some just smile

That's why you need a dual sport motorcycle that can handle fire roads. It's hard to stop a dual sport. A KLR650 with the extended plastic gas tank can hold seven gallons, I think, and you can coax 35MPG out of it. That's enough to maneuver through stopped traffic all the way to freedom, where you have a P71 stored in a storage facility, stocked up and ready to go. Then you don't have to haul all your bubblegum with you.
This would work ,but I think a group would be better. Maybe get at least 1 bike to have a side car for a rear watching rider. Bikes are easily taken down. Much easier to run off the road

Drive out until you find a remote area devoid of any game medicine or shelter.
But remember to bring at least a weeks worth of food medicine and a tent.

Remember also, you can count on all those survival skills you read about, but never really tried to apply or verified will be doable.

Eat from natures bounty. All the foods that are poisonous, indigestible to your system. Or so low in calories that you burn more than you get from them.

Spend months in the peace nature offers you. In a world devoid of all the distractions your brain is used to. Like TV, Internet, smart phones. And mind stimulating conversations with friends, family, and loved ones. o_O

Find a large pinecone. Dress it up. Name it Wilson. Then cry bitterly when a squirrel comes along in the night and eats his nuts. :s0058:

WILSON!!! WILSON!!! Oh God!!!! Not you too Wilson? :(

Lastly don't forget your fighting position. You will need it as the new neighbors are also starving. And don't really know how to ''Live off the land'' as they supposed they could.
All the game has been run off or killed. And you and yours are all that is left on the menu.

The hole should be approximately 3'x8'x6' deep.
You can test the Hole buy jumping in. Putting a gun to your head. And pulling the trigger.
If your corpse is contained within the boundaries of the hole. Then it works! And you have reached your objective!

Last Edited:
OP, if you head to the Dakotas in SHTF, you will need to pass through my territory on your way. The toll will be a substantial amount of bacon as that will be the new currency, so keep that in mind as you prep. Thanks
That will be the first thing I will load into my truck if I need to get out of here.

Thanks all, like I said this is all fairly new to me so ive got some changes to think about.

As for communication, I'm working on getting HAM certified right now. There are a decent amount of repeaters with emergency power around here, but even without those I plan on getting some powerful equipment.

Screw that. If I'm hours from impending doom, I'll spend my last hours here.

I'll pull my life savings out and sit at the rail with a few 10 ft stacks of $1 bills and wait for the Sharknado in bliss.

8325 SE McLoughlin Blvd, Portland, OR 97202

Last Edited:
Screw that. If I'm hours from impending doom, I'll spend my last hours here.

I'll pull my life savings out and sit at the rail with a few 10 ft stacks of $1 bills and wait for the Sharknado in bliss.

8325 SE McLoughlin Blvd, Portland, OR 97202

:p Good choice. I'll raid the liquor warehouse and meet ya there.

Going anywhere post STHF is going to mean ambushes very quarter mile, at every bridge, and pirates at every corner or road turn. Moving more than 1 mile will be dangerous and involve a firefight, my boys told me too many stories about trying to move on foot and in mounted convoys in Iraq and Afghanistan to think it will be much different. If the STHF is the result of natural disaster moving around will be all but impossible.

I will stay at my 5 acre slice of heaven, defend my preps the best way possible and hopefully spend the end days eating BBQ elk burgers, smoked salmon and sipping Irish Cream with my coffee. If they do get me, everything will be gone hopefully and nothing but a pile of smoking brass to show, and they will have paid for it in blood.

This old man is going nowhere.

New to forums, new(ish) to prepping. What is the best place in the PNW to bug out? I have family in the Dakotas, so for a natural disaster I would probably head that way. But what about a more tactical situation?
I currently have a 97 K/C 1500 z71, so I have some mobility off road, however with 10 MPG and around 26 gallons, ive got roughly 260 miles, give or take a couple.
Thoughts?
Be smart and Bug In.
Sifu

Yup, I'm with the BUG-IN crowd. It's going to be Lord of the Flies out in the woods. Like a prison, the greatest danger is the other residents!!! :eek:

I have to say this out loud.
In 1974 I completed my preparations including the study of about five states. Montana, to cold no work, Wyoming about the same, Colorado where land fill containing uranium was common under homes and roads [we have all by now heard of it entering crawl spaces causing cancer]
Arizona had relatives there.
The Oregon Coast [Perfect] about 3,000 miles away from NYC and as far away as I could get from the sickness that makes that place work.

It was great getting away, raising my family, and living the dream today and every day we have left to live.

What the heck are you waiting for? Go == Go Now ==
That is your life out there. Waiting to bug out is nuts, Just do it.
Silver Hand

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads