JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New to forums, new(ish) to prepping. What is the best place in the PNW to bug out? I have family in the Dakotas, so for a natural disaster I would probably head that way. But what about a more tactical situation?
I currently have a 97 K/C 1500 z71, so I have some mobility off road, however with 10 MPG and around 26 gallons, ive got roughly 260 miles, give or take a couple.
Thoughts?

State or Federal forest lands would be my guess...just get there first and have food for a month and know what roots, grubs and plants are edible if the "crisis" extends. Pick your route in advance and dry run it, you don't want to run in to an illegal pot growing operation or a hooterville where they don't take kindly to strangers. Also have "pioneering" tools if you have to break some trail. Chainsaw, axe, shovel, pick....good clothing, and know how to stay dry and build a fire. Also you should look at your vehicle's range as 130 miles not 260? Cause you probably want or will need to "UNBug" at some point. Probably isn't a Chevron on Forest Road 6969. Get at least a couple extra gas cans (filled & ready), a water can and be able to purify water. Also, how will you communicate with the out side world? Should cover bases such as these and anything else you thing you must have on an extended trip into semi wilderness. personal protection, goes without saying but try to look nondescript.

Brutus Out

For me, unless I was otherwise forced to leave Id bug in.

You know the land, you know every nook and cranny of your house/apartment, its easier to stock up food and still keep some in your vehicle but more in your home.

It seems to me that even on a good day that vehicle won't get you far in bellevue, now just imagine if everyone's more freaked out than there's the possibility of snow falling seconds before the kids get out of school.

Since you have an oversized truck, play to your advantage, go get yourself a transfer tank, like they have on construction trucks, this means you can pump that extra-40-50 gals into your tank when you need to. With a full load, now you're at 70 gallons, or about 700 miles. Even if conditions are really bad, you've still got 400 miles worth of gas.

I really don't recommend breaking trail, if you're "I need to get out now" this is the slowest way I could possibly imagine leaving an area. If need be, take camo netting, ditch your truck, and maybe hope you can come back later. You could probably travel 20-30 times faster on foot than you ever could breaking trail.

Over-all, I'm in agreement with ZA, if you got no where to go, don't be in a hurry about getting there. Bug-in, bide your time, and work on your plan. Unless there was a nuke strike, or a fire coming, I would honestly rather be at home or at my shop. I will always have more resources in my home than I could possibly carry in a vehicle.

AMProducts,we know there will be no "bugging out" of western WA if SHTF.
You will have to be over the pass before it happens.All it takes is trying to get out of Seattle on a Friday of a 3 day weekend 1 time to see this
And if you don't know the back roads,that wouldn't be my first option.Plus there could be thieves that live close that will want what is yours,depending on the disaster.
But if there is a need to evacuate,FAST,you can bet there will be problems on the back roads.Especially the FS roads.
As far as going to the Dakotas, I would have a shipping container at a trusted spot so I don't have to carry as much stuff. Less for the thieves also,not as inviting
But that's a long drive and a lot of fuel for any vehicle that will carry much of anything

OP, if you head to the Dakotas in SHTF, you will need to pass through my territory on your way. The toll will be a substantial amount of bacon as that will be the new currency, so keep that in mind as you prep. Thanks

OP, if you head to the Dakotas in SHTF, you will need to pass through my territory on your way. The toll will be a substantial amount of bacon as that will be the new currency, so keep that in mind as you prep. Thanks
I'd go for seafood. I can get bacon here
But it has to be in one of those Yeti coolers with dry ice on top

By breaking trail I mean clearing windfalls and such on FS roads, maybe a gate is a bit rusty and needs some extra persuasion. Not every one has the same trigger point for SHTF and bugging out. I do suggest bugging in if possible but have a plan if you have to GO and that means knowing which roads will take you the farthest in the direction you want to go. What if your apartment catches fire? You have to bug out of that. Two thumbs up on the transfer tanks. We had a 1976 Ford F-250 with two saddle tanks for a total near 60 gallons.
Have a portable solar panel that will charge USB devices, AAs, etc.

To paraphrase Nathan Bedford Forrest you want to get there the fustest with the mostest.
The good news for you is you are already on the east side, you'll be ahead of many, many, many people. Plus many people will have no clue about bugging out and will not have prepared. Hope for the best but plan for the worst.

Brutus Out

Staying right here organizing the neighbors I lived in the same place since 1988 my next door neighbor was here when we moved in he also my dispatcher at the construction Co I drive dump truck for. Across the street is a great guy been friends with for about 10 years now he's also one of the City Workers and knows everything about how the city works. New people older next door Older couple but the guys a shooter and pretty sharp.
Fresh water is available within 1/4 mile a small fast moving creek is about a mile. Grocery store to loot is just 5 blocks and theres a HUGE Pizza/comfort food restaurant on the way as well as a Big Winery and Brewery between us and the grocery store. A few blocks past that is a HUGE food processing plant that runs 24-7

I'm staying here.

Last Edited:
Take off for the woods and you'll be dead of exposure in less than 30 days.

Best bet is to get to Snohomish County/Skagit County, rural areas, and partner up with folks you know for the long term. You need fertile soil, cleared land, and defensible space. The woods are not going to offer any of that.

You'll even get more game with your garden than a hunt in the woods.

The people who bug out for the woods are going to be turning feral in short order. The locals on the forest edge are not going to put up with them at all, expect to be shot on sight when you come down to the flat and start knocking over the garbage cans like the raccoons.

You can know all the roads you want, but if you want to get over the mountains, there are the highways over the passes and that's about it. The logging roads across the crest south of I-90 are few and readily blocked, same as the passes. You're not going to get there. Put the first dozen cars out of action and the road is blocked, no way around it, you're not going anywhere without an M1AI Abrams.

I'm gonna stay right where I'm at, I can't carry all my stuff out the front door so might as well fortify the homestead. My neighbors (which are younger and physically fit for the heavy lifting) are on board if the SHTF.:)

Take off for the woods and you'll be dead of exposure in less than 30 days.

Best bet is to get to Snohomish County/Skagit County, rural areas, and partner up with folks you know for the long term. You need fertile soil, cleared land, and defensible space. The woods are not going to offer any of that.

You'll even get more game with your garden than a hunt in the woods.

The people who bug out for the woods are going to be turning feral in short order. The locals on the forest edge are not going to put up with them at all, expect to be shot on sight when you come down to the flat and start knocking over the garbage cans like the raccoons.

You can know all the roads you want, but if you want to get over the mountains, there are the highways over the passes and that's about it. The logging roads across the crest south of I-90 are few and readily blocked, same as the passes. You're not going to get there. Put the first dozen cars out of action and the road is blocked, no way around it, you're not going anywhere without an M1AI Abrams.

Wow, you miss some pretty obvious routes over the mountain, maybe because they are unconventional. And anybody properly prepared would not be dead of exposure in thirty days.

Brutus Out

All very good and valid points across the board! Best bet is what Brutus said, hope for the best, plan for the worst! Me, I keep my 4x4 ready and able to go and a realistic distance with extra fuel is about 200 miles for me. Having multiple avenues available for different situations is a good way to start! Bugging in is the best option if you can fortify your shelter and make your self invisible to outsiders. Bugging out has to be a last ditch over bugging in! Make prep for both, but if you have to leave plan to head some where you have firm allies if you bug out!

but if you have to leave plan to head some where you have firm allies if you bug out!
Exactly. Same as going across the pass on the back roads or FS roads. If you know someone you may get to pass.
If yoy show up in some town and nobody knows you,they may or more likely may not want to accept you and yours.
I know this town would be leery of folks coming in from the "coast" right after some epic event in seattle
The sheriff here has been know to give transients help...getting to the next county
And yeah 30 days in the wilderness is easily doable with the right equipment

Now granted it was a road march but I met a retired Lt. Colonel living in Wyoming when I was interviewing for a job a few years ago.... who had, as a young man marched with rifle and pack from Yakima Firing Range all the way back to Ft. Lewis in like 10 days or so. I've lived CA, TX and FL in my life, but mostly in Washington. I told him, hell, you've seen more of Washington State than I have!

Brutus Out

Really? Where the heck are you going when every bridge is out and you have no power? There is not even a radio station left on the coast after a good wind these days, so how are you going to even here a disaster report when the TV and radio is knocked out?

Honker down and have plenty of Spam in the closet and some water, it will be more valuable than bullets it there is a slip off shore and you survive.

Silver Hand

I met a soldier in lakewood that smoked a couple packs a day and could keep up with anyone running the loop they run with their packs.
Most folks wouldn't make it to Naches from yakima on foot. It could be done but my point is there may be bad thing laying in wait on the way
We had a thread on here about SHTF in Syria,some westerner had experienced a few years back.
One of the points he made was to form alliances with neighbors,cause it;s impossible to watch 360 all the time
The other he made was if you left the immediate area of the SHTF,sometimes it doesn't travel to the out lying areas.
Heck you may be able to just go to the Easton/Cle Elum /Ellensberg areas and not have the same problems.That's a great bike ride if you're in shape

Really? Where the heck are you going when every bridge is out and you have no power? There is not even a radio station left on the coast after a good wind these days, so how are you going to even here a disaster report when the TV and radio is knocked out?

Honker down and have plenty of Spam in the closet and some water, it will be more valuable than bullets it there is a slip off shore and you survive.

Silver Hand

Why is every bridge going to be down? Too many different scenarios to make blanket statements like that. There are other sources of outside information besides standard radio and TV. We are talking general SHTF, not necessarily the big one! But yes, bug in is clearly the best choice, but for some, depending on location, it might be a fatal choice. Smart money is on being prepared for several scenarios and being flexible enough to improvise on the fly. and network, and some people even cache....

Colton Harris Moore aka the Barefoot Bandit was not even 18 and he survived for months on a rural, rocky island, in good weather and bad. He fled the island more than once and came back and still eluded a bunch of LE for months and months with ZERO training, but a sharp mind, an agile body and a willingness to stay, steal, flee, etc.

Sure, he was a lawbreaking punk but you have to admire his willingness to learn, his intellect and his ability to adapt and improvise, escape and evade and most of all survive. Oh yeah, when he needed transportation he found it.

Brutus Out

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top