JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi everyone.... I am going to buy a Glock 23 next week and I will be using my LE discount from Keith's. I have a problem because I don't know if I should get a Gen 3 or a Gen 4. I have watched and read a lot about them and I still don't know if I should go with the older or the newer generation. I do like the Gen4's RTF and the dual recoil spring. I hear that the Gen4s have some issues so it makes me think twice about them.
What do you guys think? if you have any Gen4 G23s I would like to hear from you.

Thanks.:s0155:

I think the recoil spring problem you were talking about was with lighter loads, such as 9mm in the Glock 19. If I have my information correct, the dual recoil spring was built specifically for the Glock 23 so a more snappier/powerful round would have less recoil

See if you can go to the range and shoot both, and hold them both side by side. Don't forget the Gen 4 has the interchangeable back straps as well!

I personally don't enjoy the Gen 4's RTF, but that's just me and personal preference.

Yeah I hear a lot about the RTF but I plan on sending my frame in to get it bead blasted and duracoated, so I think that will take the edge off. And yeah I dig the different back straps.

Go to Keith's and handle them both.
The gen 4 is a slightly smaller grip, but has the 2 additional back-straps for a personal fit.
The issues were with both the 9 and 40 in the gen 4's. Glock has since fixed the problem, and all new gen 4's being sold now, should have the new spring in them to solve the issue, if not, then Keith will give you a new spring for it there in his shop FREE of charge.
My wife has the gen 4 19, and my boy has the gen 4 22, and neither of them had any issues, but I called and talked with Keith about my concerns with what I had heard, he said that glock came out with a new spring to resolve the issues, so Keith sent me a replacement spring for each pistol free of charge, including the shipping, just to ease my mind.
Do NOT hesitate to get a gen 4 if that is what feels best in your hand. I would also suggest to get a Ghost 3.5 trigger connector. Makes a world of difference.

Stay Safe.

I have and love a gen 4 model 17. The only regret for me is that nothing is yet available from Crimson Trace.The gun itself has been flawless with about 800 rounds fired . No problems of any kind with a wide variety of ammo.You mentioned Keith's for the leo discount. I have nothing against them but found the Glock program alive and well at Wild Bill's guns in Molalla. Super people out there and I would highly recommend them for all gun needs.

I have no desire to move onto the Gen 4 Glocks. I'm sure they are great but don't really have any need for the extra backstraps and the Gen 3s are so much cheaper.

I just picked up a Glock 26 Gen 4 with night sights earlier this week using the Glock LEO purchase program here in WA. I have three Gen 3 Glocks also and I really like the Gen 4 so far. Took it out today and put 200 rounds thru it of different types of ammo with not a single hiccup. The back strap thing is great. I put the large one on and it fits my hand perfectly. Also ordered a Crimson Trace Laserguard for it.

I think you will like the Gen 4's if you are a Glock person. I agree with the post above. Go to a range that rents them and fire it for yourself before you buy. I am probably going to order another one soon. Good luck on your purchase.

- G

Thank you all for your comments. Now that I hear that Glock fixed their spring problems I think I am going more towards the Gen4. I really like the back strap option and the dual recoil spring. I had called keith's earlier this week and they told me that I could get a used but new looking G23 Gen3 with night sights for $398 or I can get a new Gen3 or 4 with night sights for I wanna say $450 or $460. I had a friend buy a Gen3 from them (Keith's) and he got the factory sights and 3 mags for the $398 with his LE discount. He also said that he didn't get charged for the background check so I don't know if Keith's forgot or if it was part of his LE discount. If I have any issues I think I will go for the Gen3 used with night sights... but like I said earlier I think I am gonna aim for the Gen4.

Kma45,

Get the NEW gen 4. Yes, Keith's forgot to charge your friend for the back ground check, they still charge us that. New For standard sites w/LE discount, they run 398.82, w/glock night sights 455.40, and with trijicons 477.40.
Personally, I would get the gen 4 and be Happy with it. I know you'll love it and won't regret it.
All new LEO glocks come with 3 mags. If you buy them used, then you get whatever was turned in with that particular weapon.

Another thing to know is that there is a difference in muzzle flip and felt recoil between the different gens springs. Not a lot, but it is noticeable. The gen 4 with it's dual recoil spring has "LESS" recoil than the gen 1-2-or 3's have. Just an example, my xdm 3.8 .40 has less muzzle flip than the gen 3's, but has more muzzle flip that the gen 4. Just as an FYI and a comparison. Again, it is not a lot of difference, but is noticeable.

Let us know what you decide to get.

Stay Safe.

I'vre had no issues with a new gen 4 17, all the newer one have a different recoil spring as others have said. At my local shop the gunsmith says he didn't have any in .40 come back, but some of the early 9mm guns had the recoil spring issue. That was fixed for free with a new guiderod/spring(also as others have said).
What hasn't been said is the new grip texture is not nearly as agressive as the original RTF guns. I like it!

So here it is guys.... went to Keith's and actually met Keith himself and he was pretty cool. There was that once younger kid that looked like a skater and he was kinda annoying and the lady that worked there was cool too... she was a little grumpy but I payed her some attention and she opened up to me a little hahahah. Over all it was a nice experience and I will probably go back. I ended up getting the Glock with night sights for $455 and I am very happy with it. Thank you all again for your comments and I can't wait to go shoot it. I will also consider putting the 3.5 lb. disconnecter if I don't like the factory. I love the RTF grip and the mag release. I would also like to duracoat the frame veltor dark earth.
GG4-3.jpg
GG4-2.jpg
GG4-1.jpg

KMA,

Congratulations. Looks like you did GOOD. :s0155:

Sounds like you had a good experience at Keith's as well. Keith himself is very nice, some of his staff.....well.... you know what I mean. ;)
I am sure you will like the trigger the way it is, But... once you try the Ghost 3.5 connector, you won't go back... :cool:

Here is a link to their website.

<broken link removed>

for the money, you can't go wrong with a Ghost.

In case you don't know how to put a trigger connector in, here is a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaZTch_BVvc&feature=BF&list=ULB3Fr-31k4vU&index=4

Again, Congratulations.

Stay Safe.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews