JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got a well-battered Gen2 Glock 17 that's giving me some trouble. Two problems. One, it has a nasty habit of pelting my forehead with shell casings. Apparently this is fairly humorous to watch, and the small half-circle marks on my forehead after shooting are sort of funny, but altogether uncool. The second and more serious problem is that it occasionally stovepipes, with the primer end of the casing facing downward. On one occasion the gun also double fed upon clearing the stovepipe.

I'm thinking that, aside from the above problems, the gun probably needs all new springs anyway. So, that's step one. But could my ban-era magazine (dated 9.13.94) be part of the issue, as well? Also, is a weak recoil spring causing my odd ejection angle problem, or do I have a broken extractor?

A complete set of springs is not expensive and probably a good idea.

I would do that first, since your 17 has seen a lot of use.

There are tons of U-tube videos on how to do it yourself - not that hard.

Also, I have seen several 9mm extractors that were "straightened" by their owners who thought they were bent.
It's unlikely its your extractor if its extracting, more likely your ejector or a spring issue.

GET A NEW RECOIL SPRING.
The new Gen 4 G17 is having similar problems and guess what one of the fixes Glock has been working on? Ding Ding Ding You guessed it, Recoil Springs. Glock has made at least 4 different ones to get the problem fixed so YES the recoil spring WILL give you those problems and YES replacing the recoil springs is the first step in fixing your Gen II G17. Good luck,
Mike

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads