Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Gen2 Glock 17 Problem

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by CuddlyBear, Oct 10, 2011.

1. CuddlyBear

CuddlyBear Snohomish County New Member

I've got a well-battered Gen2 Glock 17 that's giving me some trouble. Two problems. One, it has a nasty habit of pelting my forehead with shell casings. Apparently this is fairly humorous to watch, and the small half-circle marks on my forehead after shooting are sort of funny, but altogether uncool. The second and more serious problem is that it occasionally stovepipes, with the primer end of the casing facing downward. On one occasion the gun also double fed upon clearing the stovepipe.

I'm thinking that, aside from the above problems, the gun probably needs all new springs anyway. So, that's step one. But could my ban-era magazine (dated 9.13.94) be part of the issue, as well? Also, is a weak recoil spring causing my odd ejection angle problem, or do I have a broken extractor?

2. skydiver

skydiver Sandy,OR Well-Known Member

A complete set of springs is not expensive and probably a good idea.

I would do that first, since your 17 has seen a lot of use.

There are tons of U-tube videos on how to do it yourself - not that hard.

3. nubus

nubus Guest

Also, I have seen several 9mm extractors that were "straightened" by their owners who thought they were bent.
    It's unlikely its your extractor if its extracting, more likely your ejector or a spring issue.

4. CuddlyBear

Do you think that would correct the problem, or is it possible that something is broken that is not normally considered a wear item?

5. oa98pistol512

oa98pistol512 salem area Member

Yes sounds like a combination of weak springs doing this and possibly the ejector.

6. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

had some similar issues with my gen II G17 back when I got it - replaced the recoil spring and its run flawlessly ever since.

7. bruzer

bruzer Grants Pass, OR Well-Known Member

GET A NEW RECOIL SPRING.
    The new Gen 4 G17 is having similar problems and guess what one of the fixes Glock has been working on? Ding Ding Ding You guessed it, Recoil Springs. Glock has made at least 4 different ones to get the problem fixed so YES the recoil spring WILL give you those problems and YES replacing the recoil springs is the first step in fixing your Gen II G17. Good luck,
    Mike

8. donMiguel

donMiguel SouthKingWA Active Member

Fixed it for you. ;)

9. CuddlyBear

Sounds like I'll start with all the springs and spring cups, and see if that fixes it. Thanks guys.