JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi everyone,

New to hunting. Which is to say I've never done it. Starting to gear up now for next year's Deer and Elk season. I have a similarly unexperienced friend/co-worker who will be hunting with me and a third friend who would like to go along but isn't interested in the hunting part. We're all experienced outdoors-people, just not experienced at hunting.

Anyhow, we're looking at getting the rifles right now. My Dad used to tell me that .308 was a good caliber for both deer and elk. Took a quick perusal through a local used gun store (pawnshop) the other day and saw that most everything was either .300 mag or .30-06. Will either of those calibers be too much for deer? Any tips on brands or models of firearms? New or used? I've heard Leupold makes a good scope, any other brands to look at?

Also, in regards to my third friend (the one who wants to go but doesn't want to hunt)... Is it legal for him to go with us without a hunting license? He'll likely want to carry his pistol with him, will that be ok if he doesn't have a hunting license?

Thanks in advance for helping a newby....

Greg

300 or 06 is ok for deer just do a neck shot as to not damage the meat you really want. I would go with a lighter bullet for the deer and heavy for elk and sight in for each load. As far as scopes go if you are on a budget go with the Nikon Pro Staff without the BDC, this is a good low end scope that will handle the caliber.

The buddy that wants to go is ok to go IF he open carries or has a permit for concealed, as long as he is not carrying a rifle. He is considered to be on a hike in my opinion.
As always these are my opinions and others will have theirs as well.

.308 is fine for elk 30.06 is better ( does better with the bigger bullet weights and a bit more umph) .300 mag is best of what mentioned . it takes good shot placement to take a elk with 1 shot not uncommon to take 2 or more to bring em down even with a .300 mag

the .300 mag is a bit much for deer bad shot placement can cause lots of meat damage depending on bullet and load

thats why so many pick a 30.06 for a all purpose Oregon rifle . after this elk season i am in the market for a .300 mag

the down fall of the .300 is they tend to weigh a pound and half more than a 30.06 which can ware on you going in and out of thick valleys unless your fit, some will bring up the cost of ammo being higher, that to me is a irrelevant when you think of the cost of gas cost of other supplies cost of licence and tag and other gear to skimp on cost of ammo to bring home that monster sized elk is just foolish.

if you can only handle 1 of the 3 mentioned go 30.06
if you can own 2 go with the .308 and the .300

call ODFW about regs regarding carrier a handgun without a licence

Leupold makes a great scope with one of the best warrentees in the business and they are in beaverton OREGON
you don't need one of the higher end ones like the v3 i have hunting with the v3 and liked my friends V2 A LOT better i recommend duplex crosshairs unless your used to something else and most common 3x9x40

as far as brands wow sky is the limit but i would not suggest the $299 package deals they are ok but that is it just ok fine if its your budget

best thing check it out see how you like how it fits you, see if you like the trigger pull not too much not too little. see if you like the location of the safty switch . see if you like the way it feels .

'06 is great. 300 mag is alot, but people use it. My grandad used a '06 for most of his hunting years all over the country on game from deer to elk to goats.
As far as your buddy, I hike all year long with at least a pistol, and sometimes more. No law against hiking. He just better not have ''your' deer in his truck!

If you can afford it. I love the Tika 30-06. I use a Stevens 30-06 for around 300.00. American Rifleman did a big spread on it. Their summary. It is like a pick up truck. It does one thing and it does it very well. It is a hunting rifle.

at the price you can put a lot more into your optics, even on a tight budget.

Even more important then the gun you choose is your foot ware. Good comfortable boots are key to a good hunt. Make sure you have them broke in well before season. You will also want to think about both lite and heavy weights of thinsulate boots depending on where you want to hunt.

i would rather have an fair gun and good boots then a match grade rifle and unhappy feet.

In my opinion the 30-06 is a good choice for a inexperienced hunter. That being said, what ever rifle you choose, get it soon & shoot it as much as you can before hunting season!!!

PRACTICE!!!!

Practice at different yardages.
Practice form different positions (siting, kneeling, standing, ect........)

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!!!!!

AND PLEASE, BE SAFE!!

The balistics of the 308 and the 30 06 are very similar.
I asked a Elk Federation guy this same question.He said the beauty of the 06 is all the different factory ammo and bullet weights there are.
Load it light and fast for antelope size game and load it heavy for elk or grizzlies.
(the reason they say to take a heavier caliber for grizzlies is because you spent upwards of $10k on the trip,and they want the shot to count)
The 308 can be hand loaded the same way.I'm not sure that there are as many bullets weights to chose from .

But I have been reading a lot of threads that guys just feel better and more confident with a 300wim mag.
Better ballistics out farther.

Then go practice,practice ,practice.

300 or 06 is ok for deer just do a neck shot as to not damage the meat you really want.

Please don't advise a new hunter to "just do a neck shot",, the location of the serpentine spine in an elk along the neck varies with the position of the head. The neck can be as much as two feet from top to bottom and the spine is around the size of an invisible two inch target that lays somewhere under all that hair. Better to wait for a good shot into the heart/lungs,, a much bigger target for the new guy. Although you are perfectly capable of pulling off the neck shot Deadeye, the chances that someone without knowledge of the anatomy of the Elk could locate and hit it are pretty slim. I would just hate to see them cripple up an animal.

The -06 and the .308 are both fine choices. ;)

Welcome to one of the most rewarding activities you'll ever experience - IF you do it right. I've used 30-06 excusively for 30 + years (Remington 700 BDL). The recoil is much less than a 300 Win (yes I've shot both). If you have the opportunity shoot both on separate weekends. No elk or deer I've shot have made it further than a few yards - Most dropped in their tracks (yes -born and raised in Idaho and having lived in Eastern Oregon the last 11 years I've shot many, many deer and elk) Practice is key. Angles, positions, etc. Most important thing - BE IN SHAPE - not only for the hiking - You get an elk in front of you at 150 yards and your heart will be beating like you just sprinted a marathon. Find out YOUR personal yardage comfort level and practice. I've hunted for 30 years and because of my lack of practice I won't take a shot over 300 yards. Elk or deer - Make a clean, high percentage shot in the vitals and you will damage very little edible tissue. And practice - Did I mention practice? Plus if you plan on hunting out in the Wilds of Eastern Oregon your chances of finding 06 ammo is higher than other calibers. Plus as you practice I'd much rather shoot 20 or 30 rounds of -06 at one sitting than 300 WM. Did I mention to practice?:s0155:

300 or 06 is ok for deer just do a neck shot as to not damage the meat you really want.

Please don't advise a new hunter to "just do a neck shot",, the location of the serpentine spine in an elk along the neck varies with the position of the head. The neck can be as much as two feet from top to bottom and the spine is around the size of an invisible two inch target that lays somewhere under all that hair. Better to wait for a good shot into the heart/lungs,, a much bigger target for the new guy. Although you are perfectly capable of pulling off the neck shot Deadeye, the chances that someone without knowledge of the anatomy of the Elk could locate and hit it are pretty slim. I would just hate to see them cripple up an animal.

The -06 and the .308 are both fine choices. ;)

I think he meant to shoot a neck shot with a deer, not an elk...

Welcome to one of the most rewarding activities you'll ever experience - IF you do it right. I've used 30-06 excusively for 30 + years (Remington 700 BDL). The recoil is much less than a 300 Win (yes I've shot both). If you have the opportunity shoot both on separate weekends. No elk or deer I've shot have made it further than a few yards - Most dropped in their tracks (yes -born and raised in Idaho and having lived in Eastern Oregon the last 11 years I've shot many, many deer and elk) Practice is key. Angles, positions, etc. Most important thing - BE IN SHAPE - not only for the hiking - You get an elk in front of you at 150 yards and your heart will be beating like you just sprinted a marathon. Find out YOUR personal yardage comfort level and practice. I've hunted for 30 years and because of my lack of practice I won't take a shot over 300 yards. Elk or deer - Make a clean, high percentage shot in the vitals and you will damage very little edible tissue. And practice - Did I mention practice? Plus if you plan on hunting out in the Wilds of Eastern Oregon your chances of finding 06 ammo is higher than other calibers. Plus as you practice I'd much rather shoot 20 or 30 rounds of -06 at one sitting than 300 WM. Did I mention to practice?:s0155:
Excellent points.......Should have brought up the fact that no mater what rifle you use...PRACTICE!!! :s0155::s0155:

Saw a very nice S&W 1500 at Gun Broker in Clackamas the other day. I think it was in .300 Win Mag. Keith's had one too, don't remember the caliber on that one. This is the same rifle as the Howa 1500 and the Weatherby Vanguard, but for more like $400 used including a scope. This rifle in .30-06 or .300 Mag would be a good, economical choice to start out with.

Either a 308 or 06 will work fine. Use a good bullet and you all set. A 06 gives you more options if you reload but I am a recent convert to the 308 and am shooting 165 partitions and it works fine. I would not recommend a magnumb for your first gun a 308 is a pussy cat to shoot and a 06 has a bit more kick depending on the round. There are a lot of brands to choose from I a Winchester guy but there are others that will work for you depending on how much money you want to spend. Most guns and the new ammo are pretty accurate today.

That's funny ehunter,now that you mention it,I have heard more people is stores asking for 308 rounds for hunting.

Is there a better variety of rifles now?
Or is it because it's a NATO round and the SHTFers want the 308 caliber for dual purpose?

New to hunting as well, I picked up a Howa 1500 with a decent scope in .308 as something I could start on with deer and potentially use for Elk down the road. I'm still waiting to figure out the deer before moving on! Good luck. I didn't get an animal, but enjoyed it a lot.

I am not sure why in my case its Winchester EW rifle its a shorter action its lighter and handier to use then my old 06. I can get excellent groups with a 165 partitions and its more fun to shoot.:)

That's funny ehunter,now that you mention it,I have heard more people is stores asking for 308 rounds for hunting.

Is there a better variety of rifles now?
Or is it because it's a NATO round and the SHTFers want the 308 caliber for dual purpose?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top