JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've taken a few BOB trips recently to test my gear and decided to ditch gear that I either didn't use or didn't REALLY need.

-E-Tool: Only thing I ever used this for was digging holes to crap in. I could do this with a stick and save myself 2 lbs...

-Camp stove and fuel canister: It was one of the backpacking isopro ones. Initially I wanted it to stay low key, not have a fire, but then I decided a water filter I had with me provided me with clean water to drink without fire, as did water purification tablets, and I packed food that didn't need cooking, such as GORP. Weight saved, 2.5 lbs. I still have a stainless container for cooking, but would only do so if the coast is clear.

-Kukri machete: this helped me chop two HUGE trees that had fallen over the road when car camping years ago, but other than that I've never used it. Weight saved, 1.5 lbs.

-Becker BK2: I carry a Mora companion in my vest and a pocket knife. 99% of the time I use my pocket knife with the Mora as a backup. I also have a multi-tool. I don't plan on batoning wood, it's a dumb use for a knife anyways.

-0 degree sleeping bag: unless it's winter, I did just fine with mylar blankets overnight. I was toasty warm all night. They are loud AF though....Weight saved, 5 lbs.

-Hatchet: Not as good as a splitting maul and wedge, and risky when you're tired, cold and hungry. Don't want to risk injury. If I needed to split wood, I'd rather have this than a knife that I risk breaking, but it's not necessary IMO. Weight saved, 2 lbs.

My BoB weight is now 20 lbs including the pack weight (Blackhawk 3 day assault pack at around 4 lbs) and 7 lbs for survival vest. Weight saved, 13 lbs. This does not count ammo, NV goggles (separate kit).

I'm debating taking magazines and NV gear and attaching to the outside of my BOB so that I just have ONE bag. Only beef with that is my "tactical" pack is much lighter than a BOB and designed purely for fighting (water, gloves, IFAK, mags, monocular, etc, batteries, etc.)

Or I can use a slightly larger pack to store it all, but my concern with this is maneuverability.

Thoughts?
What kinda shelter, if any, do you pack? A negative million bag is no good if it rains.

I can't do without the hatchet, makes a nice auxiliary weapon. Yes, the baby wipes are a must. A few days of using tree leaves will make you a believer. And my bag must contain at least one pack of Franz Party Animals, no substitute for those in the woods.

The thread was about things I ditched from my pack. I didn't say this was all I had in it. Jebus! I have toilet paper people! In a waterproof stuff sack.

Last Edited:
Wise words there...

Practice with the items you chose to carry in your bag , in your back yard or on a weekend overnight camping trip...
See what actually works for you and get good with it now , when you choose to use it , versus finding out that it doesn't work for you at all ...when you need it to.
Andy
I keep @AndyinEverson in muh backpack.

nr

What kinda shelter, if any, do you pack? A negative million bag is no good if it rains.

The thread was about what I DITCHED from my pack, I didn't say hey everyone, I ditched this stuff and now I have nothing in my pack!

Two sil-nylon tarps and a poncho. Day trips just the poncho. I'm comfortable with just the poncho. I've used it as a shelter before and life the fact that in a E&E situation I am wearing it (I've literally done LOOOOOONG 16 mile hikes in steep terrain in the rain and when I got to the top I sat down and passed out, slept like a baby.

Folding saw replaces the hatchet, forgot that one. Ounces my friend.

View attachment 609790

I did actually add a folding saw it's like a silky folding saw or something like that, works like MAGIC. I have tried all kinds of saws including those hand chain saws. This works WAY better and can cut down trees. Weights about a pound and I'm not as likely to injure myself, it's quieter and takes less effort than chopping. I want to avoid batoning with my most important tool, my knife.

The thread was about things I ditched from my pack. I didn't say this was all I had in it. Jebus! I have toilet paper people! In a waterproof stuff sack.

Oh I got it the first time. I would remove a lot from my own pack to have those baby wipes. Specifically, not just regular toilet paper. They make for a much better end of the story.

Re. the hatchet and weight reduction. Years ago, there was a hollow aluminum hatchet that you could buy for backpacking. The idea was when you got to your camp, you would remove a plug in the butt end and fill it with water to give it heft. It had a steel edge cast into the aluminum head section. I never liked the one I had and if carried empty, it would never serve as a good second weapon. Recognizing of course that OP didn't object to the weight but the conditions of use. Just mentioning this for others.

Along the same line, now there are lightweight but very strong plastic knives you can get.

I love your premise on ditching stuff from the bag. Don't have a BOB, more "Get Home Bags" in my vehicles.
My thoughts and set up:
I put all all the stuff I THINK I may need and when the time arrives, I'll ditch on the spot. Bag weighs around 30 lbs.
I CAN haul that as I walk as I go on walks with a 60 lbs. vest., but I'd rather go lighter.
Sometimes I'm by myself, sometimes with 3-4 others. I set up my bag for 4 ppl for 3 days. It may be summer, fall, winter etc. I won't know what I may need and I don't want to repack seasonally. Time, distance and season obviously play a part in what I'm ditching.

Oh I got it the first time. I would remove a lot from my own pack to have those baby wipes. Specifically, not just regular toilet paper. They make for a much better end of the story.

Re. the hatchet and weight reduction. Years ago, there was a hollow aluminum hatchet that you could buy for backpacking. The idea was when you got to your camp, you would remove a plug in the butt end and fill it with water to give it heft. It had a steel edge cast into the aluminum head section. I never liked the one I had and if carried empty, it would never serve as a good second weapon. Recognizing of course that OP didn't object to the weight but the conditions of use. Just mentioning this for others.

Along the same line, now there are lightweight but very strong plastic knives you can get.

If you got it the first time why did you tell my I will regret not packing toilet paper when I'm using tree leaves. Not sure why mods keep removing this question unless their are friends with this guy. It's a valid question because you clearly didn't get it....

If you got it the first time why did you tell my I will regret not packing toilet paper when I'm using tree leaves. Not sure why mods keep removing this question unless their are friends with this guy. It's a valid question because you clearly didn't get it....

Without going into a long-winded explanation of what I meant in my previous comments, or what I thought Bushman said or meant, I hereby apologize to Bushman sincerely for any offense given. If I have demonstrated idoicy, failure to admit mistake, or poor reading comprehension, I fully and sincerely apologize to Bushman and hereby "man up." As to mods removing whatever, I don't know what that means. I don't know any of the mods nor do they communicate with me on any subject so as to that issue I have no knowledge.

Holy crap bubblegums!

When did this place turn into a snowflake 'my feelings are hurt and I need a safe place' type of bubblegum hole?o_O

Sack up people - not everyone is out to get you :s0156:

I don't have a BOB, but I have A GHB... I think it's much more likely In a SHTF situation I'll be bugging in than bugging out, and My portable preps are geared towards getting home, or secondary bug in location.

I'm listening through the A. American Home series on audible for the second time.
Book 1 is a treasure trove of what you might need for different situations. Highly recommend reads!

Some of the stuff you don't use in one outing might be exactly what you need in another, so it's hard to pick what to pack even after a test run.

I stay out of town a lot for gun shows, and my main concern is getting trapped miles from home. Luckily I'm usually surrounded by guys selling gear for just such an event..
I keep a big bin full of just about everything in my Car, and if it were to become inoperable, I plan to pack a bag accordingly depending on location, and situation, and leave the rest in the car. Being that I'm still only partially healed from a badly broken ankle, and the subsequent physical deterioration that came from the last 6 moths of inactivity, I'm really hoping nothing happens that I need to bail from my car... I also keep a foldable hand cart in there so I can just drag my gear around if nothing else.

Let's stay on topic folks.

Ditching 12lbs from a pack is a pretty decent reduction. Keeping light allows one more mobility, AND gives the option of bumping up carried weight if circumstance merits. ie extra food/water, as a simplistic quick grab.

I don't have a traditional "bug out bag" either, but I do keep a Get Home Kit in my rig. I have an ax, shovel, stove etc in my rig. I'll refine my carry kit with items that live in my car. I may need an ax or trifold shovel depending on the situation. If not, it'll stay in the car.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top