JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sounds like you've done a good job of lightening the load, and knowing what you actually use vs the "I may use this" train of thought. As a chronic over-packer myself, there's always something that "I might use" that I justify putting in a pack - doesn't matter if I'm out for a day's fishing no more than a mile from the car, or if I'm out camping, or hunting or...

I also keep a "get home bag" with me in the truck that doubles as my general emergency bag most of the time while I'm working - it typically is pretty minimalist - I keep a spare change of clothes (which has come in handy many times) - a small IFAK, a flash light, spare set of batteries, small fire starter kit, a couple of foil packs of tuna and MRE peanut butter, couple pens and water proof writing pad, a small spare knife, road maps of the Portland area plus the state as a whole, a warm blanket, and spare pistol mag. I also keep some extra nitrile gloves and a spare set of work gloves in it. I'm not anticipating having to survive in the woods, I'm more concerned with having to hoof it through an urban environment or getting stuck with the truck - have not had to do the former, but I have had the later happen. Snacks and the blanket came in handy!

The bag with all its crap did actually come in handy a lot when I was a tow truck monkey - it made a good pillow when I had to rack out on the back seat on long over night runs, and the blanket obviously came in handy then too.

I used to keep more crap in it - but I've pared down to the useful stuff. I have a 1.5 liter water bottle that can clip to the PALS on the outside of the bag with a carabiner, and I have 2 gallons of water in the truck, plus other tools, zip ties, etc that I can augment the bag with if need be.

I'm not bugging out from home - if I absolutely had to, I've got a mini van to stuff the back full of crap, but at this point, I'm not heading for the hills without a plan. Sheltering in place, or heading to select other locations would bet he plan, but just heading into the hills at this point - not in the cards.

I dont have a BOB, but in my backpacking pack and SAR packs, I carry a MSR whisperlight/titanium cup and FD food. I dont see how you could go any lighter than that.

And a good sturdy knife is indispensable and can be used for processing firewood using the baton method.
Second the whisperlight. I'd go with the international though - put camp fuel, kerosene...it'll burn anything, anywhere.

Fire if you can, otherwise the whisperlight all the way.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top